Ahem...Military Protocol?

AJChenMPH

Forum Health Inspector
SOON AFTER Operation Desert Storm, Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf visited West Point to address the Corps of Cadets. After his speech, as some friends and I were returning to our barracks, we noticed the General going up the steps to the Superintendent's quarters. He turned to wave at us and other passing cadets. While I exuberantly returned his wave, he smiled and seemed to be looking directly at me. I turned to my friends in time to see that they, and all the other cadets, were at full attention saluting General Schwarzkopf.

Contributed to "Humor In Uniform"

Provided Courtesy of Reader's Digest.

Oh, man, it's has been happened to me, when General Hagee visited my school during my time in Navy JROTC. Oi....

I served with a guy that was excited when Gen. Gray came by that he saluted with his left hand, then hurried and fixed it, all that happened was Gen. Grey held the salute longer and with a big grin.

I served with a guy that was excited when Gen. Gray came by that he saluted with his left hand, then hurried and fixed it, all that happened was Gen. Grey held the salute longer and with a big grin.
Heheheh...one of the Blue Angels from 2004 was caught on camera saluting with his left hand as they did the walk-down to their aircraft...fortunately, it was during training and not an actual air show. :lol:

Commander, this one's for you:

BigCorpsman.jpg

When I was at MOS school, the school was run by the RoK Army so we had to use Army salutes for the duration of our training there. To other Marines we did no such thing. Unfortunately habits are hard to beat... gave one Marine LT the Army salute. It was pretty embarrassing. Good thing he took it well. "Habit's a ***** ain't it, private?" hehe.

Two of our Corpsmen were cool dudes. Traded stuff with one even though he wasn't in my company or anything.

Last edited:
Came to think of one incident here...

The temporary commander on our fortress back in -89 was more of a desk-commander and was more often seen in dress blue or service uniform donning the "field-cap" during the service.
But on one occation the entire crew was lined up waiting for an admiral who was due to inspect the whole lot, and since we were all wearing berets he had to run back and fetch his as well.

Imagine 200+ guys and the look on their face when we noticed our commander strolling down the pier and saluting the admiral with his rarely worn beret tilted the wrong way! :lol:

Nay, he'd have to mess up far worse than that to get sacked, besides he created a lot of paper for the high ranking clerks in the system so he was probably deemed valuable for that as well.

He was a nice chap actually, allthough suffering from a nearly total lack of humor, and poorly developed social antennas.
He never gave us reason to complaint, he never made life miserable for us, in fact he made our day on more than that occation. :smile:

He was just the type of officer who's born and raised with the sole intention of sitting behind a desk somewhere and never be around actual people.

We need those kinds of officers too but they have their own place. Unfortunately they find their way to combat units now and then.

A platoon did their Infantry course at my battalion, half was staying with us and the other half was going to another battalion. The other Battalions CO was there as well where my RSM was happy to point out that is lanyard was on the wrong side, his RSM took him out back and fixed it.

Back