AH-64D Apache

i wasnt going for exactly a 100% real example

it shows that without tanks, ur airships are dead because of the AA guns and SAMs

Right, because helicopters like the Apache have absolutely no way of countering AAA and SAM right? Because when they built the thing the guys who designed it were completely oblivious to the fact that these two things might exist. (sarcasm)

What you Snauhi fail to see is that the Apache is not made to attack other choppers, it states in the Attack Helo Ops Manual that you don't attack another chopper for the sake of attacking it. Its made to attack enemy emplacements and convoys, ect....

Also the Apache AH-64D has voice command system, 23mm of armor and the blades are madde of DU armor that can stop 30mm shells and can take a beating and keep on blowing the hell out of most armor, the 30mm M203 Chaingun and HellFire kick some butt.

relace the 30mm chain gun and add the 30mm GAU cannon from the A 10

now thats what i call attack helicopter :lol:

Chinaman said:
relace the 30mm chain gun and add the 30mm GAU cannon from the A 10

now thats what i call attack helicopter :lol:

Do you know what you've just said? I mean technically.

That A-10's GAUs are too powerful for helicopters. That stuff. You know the A-10 seriously starts to bleed speed when it fires that thing? Not to mention, you can forget about trying to put it on a swivel mount!

Yeah, pilots talk about how the whole plane shakes and some talk about how they thought they where going to stall the first time they shot it. The recoil on that thing is rediculous... Is it right that I drool over that cannon more than I do over my playboys? :)

If I'm correct, the fire-and-forget Helfires were developed for the AH-66. i think it would have been smart to keep the comanche program running.

the_13th_redneck said:
That A-10's GAUs are too powerful for helicopters. That stuff. You know the A-10 seriously starts to bleed speed when it fires that thing? Not to mention, you can forget about trying to put it on a swivel mount!

Yup two tons of recoil.

You all also have to realize that the mission of the Comanche was to compliment the Apache, not replace it. The Comanche was a reconnaisaince and light-attack helicopter whereas the Apache was to be used as the main attack helicopter. But with the advent of UAVs; now instead of 52 billion dollar choppers you can strap 2 helfire missiles and a camera on a $100,000 remote controlled plane.

The Comanche reminds me very much of the Nazis' 80cm 'Gustav' railgun. Both where very technologically advanced for their time but actually served(serve) a purpose that can be better done by many smaller/cheaper items, and due to how expensive they are they where(would be) they are(would) actually detract from the potential effectiveness of their respective armies.

Like I said, killing the comanche project was the smartest thing the beancounters ever did.

Even though that cancelled the program, they probably learned a great deal about lots of stuff. We can expect some of those concepts to be evident in future helo or other system designs. I personally think we should have kept a few around. I mean, one thing UAVs are known for, is the tendancy to give the controller tunnelvision. In a helo you have a little more situational awareness. But I guess the pros of using a UAV outweign the cons.

No, you can't build military things like that. There is A LOT of capital that has to be put up right up front (basically a giganitc downpayment) before you even crank out the first chopper. Exactly how many factories in the world are making stealth helicopters with avionic control that makes the F-117 look like the commodore 64? There answer is 0.

So you have to go out and build all this specified equipement and hire all these eggheads and engeneers to figure out how to build it, then you have to hire all the brilliant college grads with 6 figure salaries to actually make the thing.

All before you even buy the materials to build the first chopper. Each Comanche would cost about the size of our nat'l deficit if you're only building a single squadron! That's why the military buys hundreds or thousands of items over a long period of time, so that initial cost can be spread out over lots of time and lots of units.

Yup, not worth the price.

By the way, the problem with the "tunnel vision," most people who play flight sims on their games have to deal with it too, but they can get from one place to the other without problem. I don't think it'll be too difficult to have a 360, even a sphereical view of what the plane is seeing. All you need is the cameras in the right places and the right sort of "cockpit" layout.

Back