Aggression




 
--
 
February 23rd, 2006  
StevenPreece
 

Topic: Aggression


Aggression is a tool that is instilled into us in basic training. It is ruthless at the highest level and needs to be controlled. Hence the saying controlled aggression.

However, that said, its a dangerous thing when it overspills amongst the ranks and beyond. At times it can be like playing with fire.

Inevitably this does happen from time to time.

Back in the 80's when I served in the marines I had problems controlling the aggressive fire that burned inside me. It took me some 13 years after leaving the service to calm the storm. I did this through martial Arts.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to incorporate various martial arts into basic training? What do you think?

Steve
February 24th, 2006  
FULLMETALJACKET
 
 

well.move out from under the rock, they already do incorporate it.
i.e. "Semper Fu" in the Marines.
and im sure that the army has one.
February 24th, 2006  
jedi078
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLMETALJACKET
well.move out from under the rock, they already do incorporate it.
i.e. "Semper Fu" in the Marines.
and im sure that the army has one.
Check StevenPreece's profile he was in the British Royal Marines, not the USMC (Uncle Sams Misguided Children).
--
February 24th, 2006  
Missileer
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi078
Check StevenPreece's profile he was in the British Royal Marines, not the USMC (Uncle Sams Misguided Children).
Uh-Oh! Incoming.
February 24th, 2006  
StevenPreece
 
Guys, I am a former Royal Marine.

Inevitably we were taught Ju Jitsu, but not to blackbelt level. I boxed and I was as violent as they came.

After I left the marines I still had the beligerant mentality I personally developed as a marine and found it hard to control the aggression on civvy street. Eventually it was Aikido and more so Ninjutsu that calmed the fire that burned inside me for so long. These are powerful arts without aggression. They taught me how to control my aggression and in truth how to stop venting it on others.

Regards

Steven Preece
Ex Marine, Boxer, Blackbelt in Ninjutsu and Author

Also: Rndsafe: Sorry for any book plugs, but my life is in there and it is difficult not to refer to them.
February 24th, 2006  
LeEnfield
 
 
This may sound odd but the training in aggression while I was in forces gave me an air of self confidence. I could walk up to a problem and quitely and cofidently take it over, with a mixture of humour and the self confidence.
February 24th, 2006  
StevenPreece
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
This may sound odd but the training in aggression while I was in forces gave me an air of self confidence. I could walk up to a problem and quitely and cofidently take it over, with a mixture of humour and the self confidence.
So could I, but when I was P*ssed I was dangerous.

Steve
February 26th, 2006  
A Can of Man
 
 
I was aggressive before I joined.
I am assigned to a bullsh1t unit that doesn't have room for aggression. Sucks.
November 22nd, 2007  
StevenPreece
 
This was an interesting post some time ago. Did any of you guys have any problems adjusting to civvy street. Unfortunately I did.

http://archive.thisisthenortheast.co...16/214137.html

But thankfully I came out the other side in one peice. Although, I do count myself lucky.

Cheers

Steve
November 24th, 2007  
Wolf
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenPreece
This was an interesting post some time ago. Did any of you guys have any problems adjusting to civvy street. Unfortunately I did.

http://archive.thisisthenortheast.co...16/214137.html

But thankfully I came out the other side in one peice. Although, I do count myself lucky.

Cheers

Steve
I just finished reading the entire thing..
Deep story.