Age limits...

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
Ok, guys I need some answers from people who know... I am finding conflicting and incomplete information on the web, so please, let me know what the deal is. The recruiters right now are draggin their feet in responding to me.

http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://www.navytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-1153236.php
Legislation allowing military recruits to enter service up to age 42 and to create a new $1,000 finder’s fee for service members who tip off recruiters to good prospects has received tentative approval in the Senate.

A package of 81 approved amendments to the 2006 defense authorization bill unveiled Monday includes a recruiting and retention plan, proposed by Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and prepared by the Army, that also:

http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-....org/Reform/2006/Army-Raises-Age20jan2006.htm
Last year, Congress gave the Pentagon authority to increase enlistment incentives and the Army could have raised its maximum age to just shy of 42, but chose to keep it at 40 - the same maximum age for joining the Army Reserve.

The other services have not followed suit, however. The Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps, hit their enlistment targets last year, but they are smaller services.

Maximum age to enlist in the Marines remains 27 with some exceptions up to 29 years old. The Air Force also sets its maximum age for new enlistees at 27 with the Navy setting the bar at 35.

Is the age limit now 40 for the Army?

RA is 40 but from what I'm told waiverable up to 42 with prior service. You should be good to go though, as long as your recruiter doesn't drag his feet until you hit 41. :lol:

USAREC

I will drag him to MEPS if need be. :) Thanks for that... I'm really looking forward to showing up these young kids at Basic.

bulldogg said:
I will drag him to MEPS if need be. :) Thanks for that... I'm really looking forward to showing up these young kids at Basic.

I just want to send love notes to your DS, you know, ones that tell him what a candy ass you think he is, etc. :mrgreen:

I'll be sure to send along the pertinent information so you may ammuse yourself vicariously through my pain. That's what friends are for right?
:)

Joining up at 40? Ouch! Absolutely no slight meant against you, bulldogg, but things don't usually work as well at 40 as they did at 20. All the best, pal. The Army needs more like you.

By they way, are you going to enlist or try to get in as an officer?

Enlisted. Not the least bit interested in being an officer. I can make more of a difference as an enlisted man. If they let officers stay in one field and become experts then it might be a different story.

As for the age I'm not worried. I play rugby and do alright as far as the physical abuse. As I see it my age actually gives me an unfair advantage over the kids. Thanks for the well wishes.

bulldogg said:
As I see it my age actually gives me an unfair advantage over the kids.

Nail on the head. Heck, look at this forum to see a living example of the older guys spanking the harded headed younger ones. :lol:

Bulldogg might be older, his knees might pop more and his back might get sore more easily, but he's got the heart, mental drive and discipline, something a lot of young ones lack.

FORT JACKSON, S.C. — The Army has begun training the oldest recruits in its history, the result of a concerted effort to fill ranks depleted during the Iraq war.

In June, five months after it raised the enlistment age limit from 35 to just shy of 40, the Army raised it to just under 42.

To accommodate the older soldiers, the Army has lowered the minimum physical requirements needed to pass basic training.

The first group of older recruits is going through basic training here. So far, only five people 40 and older — and 324 age 35 and older — have enlisted, Army records show.

The Army also hopes to attract more recruits by offering shorter active-duty periods for some recruits, signing bonuses and bonuses for soldiers who persuade others to join.

David Chu, undersecretary of Defense for personnel and readiness, says the improved health and fitness of middle-aged Americans makes it possible for them to enlist.

The Army has the military's highest age limit. The Air Force's and Marines' limits are 27, while the Navy's is 35.

Allowing older soldiers makes sense if done properly, says Loren Thompson, a military analyst at the Lexington Institute, a non-partisan think tank in Arlington, Va.

"For front-line combat troops, it's a bad idea," Thompson says. "But nobody is proposing putting 42-year-olds next to 18-year-olds on combat patrols. If it is correctly run, it could be a real boon."

The Army, which supplies most of the troops for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, is on track to meet its recruiting goal of 80,000 new soldiers this year.

In 2005, the Army missed its 80,000 goal by 8% when it recruited 73,373 new soldiers.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-08-01-army-age_x.htm

Back