Again FRANCE, this time Job Market Protests

bulldogg said:
Unemployed and criminals, the majority of violent protesters are drawn from this group in society, any society and any source of protest. They simply see an opportunity to act out on their impulses and use the protest as an excuse.

Bulldogg

The people who are violent are not protesters, they are whats known as a 'smashers'. They are exactly like British Hooligans, they dont go to the protest because they believe in the cause they go because an excuse to cause general mayhem. Like Hooligans there numbers are small (about 1500) and they are well known by the police.

mmarsh said:
Thats just it an employer doesnt have to give reason. In my last contract it said specifically that I could be terminated without cause. The only way you can contest a termination is if the employer has done something illegal or unconstituional. And dont think the unions will protect much you either, the unions have been able to do much to stop companies outsourceing overseas. If the CEO wants to fire 1000 workers without cause just so the share price can raise 1% you better believe he can do it. In France he cannot with paying major compensation with a hiring freeze to boot.

Do you know most places make you sign a contract that states you can't join a union? Regardless if you sign that contract, you can still legally join an union and there's nothing a company/corp/business can do about it.

Just read up on some of the cases that have gone to trial, or read some business mags and see what businesses have to say about how difficult it is to terminate someone's employment these days. Even if they have to make something up, most Corp's won't sent you out of the door without backup these days.

If a CEO lays off 1000 workers, and one of those workers gathers enough proof to prove no justification other than an extra % profit in the CEO's pocket, given previous lawsuits, the worker will most likely win his job back, plus some in court. The other workers as well, if they go the class action route.

There aren't Federal laws about it in the US like in France, but thanks to the ACLU (one of their better, yet bitter things, they've done) and lawyers, big corps feels the pressure now. And I am sure it is easier to fire someone in the US than France, but it isn't all that easy.

As for outsourcing, I'm not sure any of those companies had unions, I'd have to hit up google and that would take a really long time. Unions do protect jobs, however, look at companies like Budwieser, Ball Corp., Miller, et al. They can't get you out of the door without serious proof you're a screw up.

Back