Afghanistan is getting nastier!

Well it looks like we are in for a long fight in Afghanistan.

Is there any easy way out? Not likely!

It looked so simple a few years back!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/17/w...ssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

There probably is an easy way out the Russians eventually found it, you just pack your bags and bugger off.
However I am not sure this is a genuinely viable option because it is clear that within 20 minutes of the last flight out Karzai and co will be swinging from the nearest lamp post and we will back to building airplane proof buildings again.

Regardless of whether we believe the invasion of Afghanistan was justified or not (I believe it was) the fact is the the mess has been made and now the only course of action is to finish the task or risk a much wider global conflict.

It appears that the morale of British troops in the hell of Hellmand is extraordinarily high!! They feel that this is what they became soldiers for - to fight. Many are volunteering for hurried return to the front line, eager to get back into the fray, and some of these very warriors have fallen in doing just that. RIP. Such is the nature of our soldiers and such is the nature of war. Their parents' call is a different matter of course.

AFTER WATERLOO

Where are they now, those fine lords and ladies
Who danced yesternight at the Duchess’s ball,
Heedless of men drawn warm from their billets
To tread the wet earth at their regiments’ call.

And where are now those burghers of Brussels,
By news of our march drawn all to the street.
To watch us fifed on in our rich blazoned columns
With drums beating time for the fall of our feet.,

And where are they now, our following army
The wives and the sweethearts, matrons and maids,
And wither our corps of gamblers and hucksters,
Harlots and bankers all plying their trades.

Where are they all, now the action is over,
For them we braved round shot, bore bayonet’s thrust,
Now our columns are broken, our bodies lie bleeding
And friend next to foe lie conjoined in the dust.

Swift they are gone for our death carries meaning
Gone to seek fame or the stock-jobber’s hall,
Gone to assess the wild swings of fortune
Gone to get wind of the next easy call.

Roger Baker.

Last edited:
Thing is, we need to be able to think of time scales that are longer than 4 years. This goes not just for war but for everything else.

There have reports from the Government here that they expect to be there for 20 years before they get things to right

It is going to be interesting to observe the level of troop morale in 20 years if things haven't greatly improved by then.

Last edited:
Errol, US troop morale in Korea is pretty strong 50 years on. Even after the Korean War ended, there were several more years of fights in the countryside against Communist guerrillas. Nowadays it's just the occasional firefight that might roll around once every three years or so in the border areas.
The political and social processes will take decades to get right. In the meantime the country must be made secure which could have been FAR more possible had Iraq not been a factor. Also the Pakistan issue poses a serious problem as well. The problem is that if you attack the regions in which Al Qaeda and Taliban are finding refuge, you end up destroying Pakistan as a country as well. Which means what... another country to build? How will India respond to that situation? When it takes Kashmir, what then? Again, would have been far more possible if more troops could be put on that border with Pakistan.

Errol, US troop morale in Korea is pretty strong 50 years on. Even after the Korean War ended, there were several more years of fights in the countryside against Communist guerrillas. Nowadays it's just the occasional firefight that might roll around once every three years or so in the border areas.
The political and social processes will take decades to get right. In the meantime the country must be made secure which could have been FAR more possible had Iraq not been a factor. Also the Pakistan issue poses a serious problem as well. The problem is that if you attack the regions in which Al Qaeda and Taliban are finding refuge, you end up destroying Pakistan as a country as well. Which means what... another country to build? How will India respond to that situation? When it takes Kashmir, what then? Again, would have been far more possible if more troops could be put on that border with Pakistan.

Much will also depend on ongoing casualties and how the public will respond to them. What would US casualty figures be in Korea for the last 20 years due to enemy fire? Nil? I think the US public will be wanting to see a return on their investment in the next few years if it is going to be politically tolerable to go on.

Last edited:
n779770542_2596582_4729.jpg

Much will also depend on ongoing casualties and how the public will respond to them. What would US casualty figures be in Korea for the last 20 years due to enemy fire? Nil? I think the US public will be wanting to see a return on their investment in the next few years if it is going to be politically tolerable to go on.

Yeah but it wasn't an easy 30 years before that. That's the point.

I've been living outside Ft. Campbell for the last 3 years. Right now 4th BCT is in the middle of the poop in Afghanistan. Recent news detailing the bad conditions in Afghanistan are true according to my contacts. The troops call the place Indian country which is not a good thing. I will be going there in FEB of next year so I can give the forums a first hand account of whats going on over there

Back