Afghan officials say Taliban driven back in Kunduz fighting




 
--
Boots
 
April 16th, 2016  
News Manager
 

Topic: Afghan officials say Taliban driven back in Kunduz fighting


By Feroz Sultani KUNDUZ, Afghanistan (Reuters) - Afghan security forces drove back Taliban insurgents attacking areas around the northern city of Kunduz, officials said on Saturday, after heavy fighting overnight in which dozens were killed and wounded. Kunduz, Afghanistan's fifth-biggest city, fell briefly to the Taliban last year and the militant Islamist movement has stepped up the pressure since announcing the start of its annual spring offensive this week. Defense Ministry spokesman General Dawlat Waziri said 40 Taliban fighters had been killed and around 50 wounded after being beaten back by government forces.




More...
 


Similar Topics
Afghan government team attacked, Taliban fume over massacre
Pakistan urges Afghan Taliban to enter peace talks
Afghanistan: U.S. Now Faces Resurgent Taliban, Resentful Public
Medals Given for Valor in Afghan Fighting
Taliban raid on Afghan town kills 53