AEK-971 Koksharov

major liability

This new Russian automatic rifle looks pretty sweet. I find all these relatively new weapons with felt recoil reducing systems such as the KRISS Super V and Ultimax 100 fascinating from an engineering standpoint. As a shooter, I seriously wish I could get some trigger time with them, but that's pretty damn unlikely - I haven't seen a single firing range with these types of automatics for rent anywhere in the US of A. Maybe in 5-10 years.

Wikipedia said:
The AEK-971 is a Russian assault rifle made by the Kovrov Machinebuilding Plant now Degtyarev Design Bureau and designed by Sergey I. Koksharov. AEK-971 use 5.45x39mm M74 round from the standard 30 round magazines of the AK-74. Two other members of this series - AEK-972 and AEK-973 - fire 5.56x45mm and 7.62x39mm, respectively, from 30 round magazines of the AK-101 and AK-47/AK-103. The AEK-971 has two fire modes; semi- and full-automatic. The AEK-971 is based on previous AK rifles in internal design and features but has the addition of a balancing mechanism. The rifle has a counter weight that negates the impulse of the gas piston and bolt carrier: this is the balancing mechanism and results in more controllable automatic fire. Though losing an initial contract for production against the AN-94, mainly due to being underdeveloped at the time, the Russian army has begun field trials of this weapon. The AN-94 assault rifle has slight edge over the AEK-971 only in short burst (2 rounds only) mode. In full-auto medium or long burst fire mode (3-5 or 7-10 rounds per burst) AEK-971 wins hands down, being also some 0.5kg lighter than AN-94, simplier and cheaper to manufacture.

Here is what a production version for the Russian army would probably look like:
aek97101.jpg

And a video of it being fired, along with an AN-94 Nikonov:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOozMdEV_AU

Hmmm.... I think the Soviets should stick with the AK-107 series of rifles that they are currently producing for sale to other foreign nations .

AK-107_with_grenade_launcher.jpg

The AK-107 and AK-108 are variants of the AK-101 series. The difference from the AK-101 series is that the 107 and 108 have BARS (Balanced Automatic Recoil System), based on the AL-7. As the projectile is ejected from the muzzle, the gas that flows into the main gas chamber moves toward the piston that drives the bolt. This occurs while another portion of the same gas moves through its own cylinder to a piston that moves in the opposite direction, towards the muzzle. This "double recoil" decreases recoil and increases accuracy in full auto mode. The 107 and the 108 are different in that the 107 uses a 5.45x39mm M74 cartridge while the 108 uses a 5.56x45mm NATO cartridge. Like the rest of the 101 series these newer AKs use synthetic materials such as black fiberglass-reinforced polyamide for the pistol grip and heat shield. This change of material is more cost efficient and much stronger than the original AK-47 wood furnishings.

Or they can go with the 5.56x45mm Caliber AK-101 that they make for foreign contracts.

Ak-101.gif

Well internally the AK-107 and AEK are almost identical, but the AEK has superior controls (bolt hold open, thumb fire selector, etc.) according to Max Popenker.

This is only my opinion, but i think its the best assault rifle in the world or at least on paper it is battle will show, if only the russians had the money to buy them, although it will be be a force in the export market

Last edited:
Back