advice?

SMPRfidlis

I am 16 and have wanted to be a Marine for as long as I can remember. The problem is that my parents don't want me to enlist but to go in as an officer, which is alright. They also want me to go to college first and they said i could be in ROTC. I do not see that the Marines have a ROTC at colleges, am i wrong!? I mean no offense to anyone but I just think that the Marines are what i want to be and are the best ( not that any other branch does not serve their country any less). I have seen that the Marines are/were part of the Navy... could i be a Navy ROTC and still go into the Marines????? I am having some difficulties with this and any FACTUAL :D advice would be GREAT.

P.S. could I go to college then join the Marines as an officer???

SMPRfidlis said:

Yes, but they don't havea Marine ROTC program. They have Naval ROTC/USNA - and you get commsioned as Marine LT through that. Which should make sense, since Marines fall under the Navy.

Check out Navy ROTC and the US Naval Academy

Yeah i just did that about a week ago and have sent in a preliminary thing to the Naval Academy. If i can raise my grades up a lil bit and get more envolved in the community I MAY make it there. :D

Bad news is that I read they take about 1800 recruits a year :shock:
lol they say to have 5 other colleges already selected because your chances are not that high!!! YAY 8)

my buddy got in there and it is very competitive, you have to be top of the class to go Marines out of there too. but its a good education and good experience (so ive been told). good luck

82ndMechanic said:
SMPRfidlis said:

Yes, but they don't havea Marine ROTC program. They have Naval ROTC/USNA - and you get commsioned as Marine LT through that. Which should make sense, since Marines fall under the Navy.

Check out Navy ROTC and the US Naval Academy

Not exactly Airborne. The Marine Corps has Platoon Leaders Course (PLC)Graduates are commisioned as Second Lieutenants USMCR.

SMPRfidlis said:
I am 16 and have wanted to be a Marine for as long as I can remember. The problem is that my parents don't want me to enlist but to go in as an officer, which is alright. They also want me to go to college first and they said i could be in ROTC. I do not see that the Marines have a ROTC at colleges, am i wrong!? I mean no offense to anyone but I just think that the Marines are what i want to be and are the best ( not that any other branch does not serve their country any less). I have seen that the Marines are/were part of the Navy... could i be a Navy ROTC and still go into the Marines????? I am having some difficulties with this and any FACTUAL :D advice would be GREAT.

Good luck to you. Your best bet is to talk to a Marine recruiter in your area. They will be happy to help you. Also get involved as much as possible with them. If they will allow it join in with the DEP acitivities. This will help you get an idea of what to expect (if they do the same things my recruiters did). There are many different ways you can become an officer in the military in general.

I wanted to be a Marine when I was 16 but I let myself be talked out of it. Do not let that happen to you. Keep your goals and follow thru on them. It was almost 12 years later before I enlisted in the Marine Corps. The only regrets I have is not doing so sooner.

Back