Advice Please unjustified RE4

rez

Hello, this is my first time posting here, and I apologize for not introducing myself or if I post this in the wrong forum. Basically I need to advice on something I've already put off for awhile but has been eating me up lately, especially since its 5:50am and I haven't slept from going over this again and again in my head. Its a long story, but I'll do my best to shorten it up and get to the point.
I joined the U.S. Coast Guard in October 2003 and graduated Honor Graduate, first in my company from TRACEN Cape May that November. I was then stationed on the Cutter Spencer for about three years, never got into any trouble as an E-3, was well liked by everyone, loved my job and was better at it than most. I joined in with the usual bitching and complaining about deployments and Chiefs and that sort of thing, but I was happy and doing well. After three years I left CGC Spencer with the Commandants Letter of Commendation and a CG Achievement Medal (uncommon for an E3) and went to MST A school, Graduated from A-School first in the class and went to my next station, a land station, where things begain to get strange. I did well, at first, I think, I never really was able to tell. I could try and explain everything in detail, but I'd probably confuse myself, so I will just stick to the facts for now. I was stationed at this Sector for three years in the Enforcement Division, our department was small, newly formed, and laid back. Our job was to board tankers in Customs waters, search them and ride them in. But when that was not happening, we were in the office, board to death. It was not uncommon for three hour lunches, checking out at 11am for the day, or the LT to just not show up for three or four days. That was in my first year there, and I adapted pretty fast. But after that year, our LT moved on, and we got a new one, a new first class, and the usual, out with the old and in with the new. Things changed, some for the better, some worse. And then at some point I realized that something was wrong. All of a sudden I could do nothing right. Whenever something got ****ed up, it was my fault. I'm not saying I was always the innocent party, sometimes I did **** up, but they were riding my ass hard everyday. Then one morning about eight months before the end of my enlistment, I was driving to work, I lived in off base housing, and got a flat. Called my fist class, let him know, no problems, his words- "we're not doing anything today..." I called a tow truck, rode with it to the auto place and got it fixed and got to work. By this time I'm 2.5 hours late. I was greeted by my first and the LT, they asked me what happened, I re-stated what I had already told the first about my flat. No problems. they asked me no further questions, not even to see the receipt from the tow truck. Three weeks after, I'm called to the division heads office, I'm being booked, investigation for possible Article 15 hearing, charge AWOL. That's right, AWOL! I called b******t immediately. I was assured however, that it was just an "inquiry" into my whereabouts for the 2.5 hours I was "missing" a few weeks prior. I was pissed, and a bit confused, but ok, whatever, what do you want to know? Was pretty much my attitude. I was interviewed once by a chief I didn't know, a week later I'm notified they will be going ahead with the Article 15 for AWOL. B******t. Again. I was completely confused, depressed, and pissed, but I had a saving grace. When I was called to sign off on the "inquiry", I refused and demanded a court martial. They were stunned, but said fine have it your way. Months passed, I heard nothing about it, except the occasional random chief that would come to me and ask why I wanted a court martial. Because I wasn't AWOL and at a court martial at least I have rights. The end of my enlistment neared and finally I was called to the XOs office, he informed me that the CG was dropping the charges and a court martial would not be necessary for me. I was relieved, but even more confused than before, kind of "what the hell just happened" sort of feeling. Well, several weeks later I was called to the Div heads office again, short chat, he informed me how much he would love to give me a dishonorable, but since he heard I was "undecided" about my re-enlistment that he would just stick me with RE-4 code. I was promptly presented with a nice write up about what a shitty sailor I was and sent on my way. I wrote a ten page appeal, and it was literally denied in five minutes. At this point I had just seen my best bud discharged under similar circumstances and I was just done with it. I said f*ck you to the Coast Guard and went on my way. Before I left, the same LT that had signed off on the "shitty sailor" memo presented me with a Letter of Appreciation Award (yippee) and my second Good Conduct Award (lmao-wtf?????).
That was a year and a half ago, and since I'm still up writing this I can honestly say that I am haunted by this damned code. I don't really care about why it happened, it was f*cked up, but it needs to be fixed now. I feel like I can't be proud of the service, I feel ashamed of it, like I'm a criminal. I don't want to try to forget about that whole six years of my life anymore, I did not deserve that code and I refuse to be punished for it. I am currently using the GI Bill for school and after I finish I want to go to OCS for the Army. What the hell can I do about this code? Whats my first step, just point me in the right direction please. Or any advise on the subject would be helpful. I am not going to let that code stay on my DD-214. I swear that all the above information is true and correct, sorry I strayed from just the facts more than a little.If you have any questions please ask, thank you in advance for any help or opinions. I think I can sleep now.

Back