Advice for a concert

deerslayer

Milforum Swamp Dweller
My brother is studying veterinary medicine in St. Kitts right now, and he's coming home in December. I play the piano and guitar, and I'm in touch with his hunting buddies, who are also musically inclined. We're tossing the idea around of doing a welcome-home concert for him. We all play music in the same genres and styles, mostly classic and southern rock, so choosing the music isn't a big deal.

Would anyone have any advice for putting on a good show for my brother and all of our buddies?

neither of us have ever really digged Queen. I was figuring on opening with "Mad Hatter" by Lynyrd Skynyrd, or some other song about either going on or coming home.

Hey, "Comin' Home" wouldn't be a bad choice:)

Eww.... Bon Jovi trying to be a country singer.

I was really referring more to planning and that sort of thing. I will try to get some digital video of it, and I am open to suggestions on music, although the band really has the final say on it (I'm an interloper with them, only played with two or three of these guys).

that is definitely on the bill. Like I said, we play and listen to southern rock music and blues. There will be a lot of Lynyrd Skynyrd played, since it's one of our favorite bands. Hands down.

What other bands are you guys comfortable playing?

*sigh* if only you were a fellow Queen fan

Pick any southern rock or rock-infused blues band out of a hat, along with a few others for coloring, and the true masters of country.

LYnyrd Skynyrd
the Allman Bros.
Marshall Tucker
Hank Williams, Jr.
Shooter Jennings
Waylon Jennings
Travis Tritt
Eric Clapton
Aerosmith

&c. If I remember my original plan correctly, I'd thought about opening with "Electric Rodeo" by Shooter Jennings

Me, I play just about anything. I started out playing the traditional composers on the piano some ten years ago, and didn't start playing the piano again until I heard Errol Garner's music. I've played the guitar for about four years, with an emphasis on blues, country music, and rock.

I was raised on this music, man.

Anyone have any suggestions for actually pulling this off?

Aside from the requisite beer and boudin?

already got the spot picked out. My place would be a good bet, but the parents would kill me and my brother if we did it. So, one of the other guitarists (we wanted a triple-guitar effect) that we fish and duck hunt with basically has an open-door policy at his place. There's a good setup there and the acoustics are good, from experience. Not my first rodeo at this place.

surprise/welcome home type thing.

We're opening with "Electric Rodeo" by Shooter Jennings, with some altered lyrics. "It's been sixteen weeks since he's been back home..."

I've got 3,070 songs on my iPod. I'll put money on me finding something ya like, but I prefer to handle that through PMs.

The place where we're doing this is about a half mile from my place, but how are we gonna spirit him away for this? Moreover, how will I resist the temptation to personally put a beer in this man's hand when he's supposed to be blissfully unaware of what we're doing?

I've been talking to my brother's girlfriend and our buddies that play guitar; we're going to be overrun with drunk bluesmen before the night's out. Any advice on actually pulling this off? We know what music the man likes.

I got in touch with his girlfriend and the trio of guitar players who own the house, and they'll try to get something together. So at best it looks like we have three guitarists and a bassist, a keyboardist if we need it (I play the piano and the guitar). It's looking pretty good.

Back