Advanced individual combat weapon

Ashes

Found this on the web of an Aussie attempt at a AICW [advanced individual combat weapon]
by the metalstorm co. on...................
Metal Storm Limited - Electronically initiated 'stacked projectile ...

The AICW is an integrated weapon concept which combines a standard 5.56mm Steyr assault rifle and a Metal Storm 40mm grenade launcher in a single unit with a common trigger, laser sight and control system that operates both the 5.56mm and the 40mm barrels.
The benched test firing demonstrated the AICW’s ability to switch between 5.56mm and 40mm barrels instantly and without reloading. The 40mm barrel incorporates the Metal Storm electronically initiated “stacked munitions” system and can fire three rounds before re-loading is required.
The Americans have been working on a AICW for some years, but I think it's been shelved.

so you flip a switch and it changes between assault rifle and grenade launcher mode? i dont see why this is necassary since it doesnt take long to reach the trigger on an attached grenade launcher.

therise21 said:
so you flip a switch and it changes between assault rifle and grenade launcher mode? i dont see why this is necassary since it doesnt take long to reach the trigger on an attached grenade launcher.

The difference is that Metal Storm uses proprietary caseless ammunition, correct me if I am wrong.

So they stack three 40mm grenades in the same launcher so you've got 3 grenades per reload instead of just 1.

America is working on something similar yet more advanced. The OICW XM-25 grenade launcher is designed to be computer programmed to detonate right above any enemy hiding place or right in the middle of a room if shot through a window etc. instead of by contact. The program has been in development for a long while and independent estimates on the XM-25 say it won't see service until 2012 although the army claims 2008. The XM-25 houses the grenades in magazines instead of the AICW Metal Storm way.

Last edited:
I don't like Metal Storm. Never liked the idea of a "smart gun". They are pushing the design and possible market of it. Some of there other products are great. But they believe that civilians shouldn't own or have fireearms. And I don't support an company like that.

Well I consider the Metal Storm applications to be the bees knees of good gear. Once its out there in the field.
Especially the Grenade, mine laying combination they developed.
Still, to each his own I suppose.

Back