Admiral Sees Littoral Ship As 'Workhorse In Our Navy'

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Green Bay (WI) Press-Gazette
January 15, 2008 Roughead visits Marinette Marine to inspect USS Freedom
By Richard Ryman
MARINETTE — The U.S. Navy's top admiral said Monday he's committed to the littoral combat ship program while inspecting the first ship of that line under construction at Marinette Marine Corp.
"The most important thing is getting this ship to sea and getting it out there operating," said Adm. Gary Roughead, chief of naval operations. "Once we get these two ships to sea, we'll see the value in the LCS program."
Marinette Marine is building the USS Freedom (LCS-1) as part of a team headed by Lockheed Martin. A team led by General Dynamics is building a second ship, USS Independence (LCS-2), in Mobile, Ala. The programs have experienced delays and cost overruns that prompted the Navy to cancel contracts for two more prototypes.
Navy Times said in January 2007 that a cost review of the USS Freedom showed that the estimated price had jumped from a planned $220 million to between $331 million and $410 million, according to a Navy official.
The price of General Dynamic's ship also was rising. Navy Times reported in March that LCS-2 also might cost about $400 million.
"Regrettably, we had to cancel LCS 3 and 4, but that was the best thing to do," Roughead said.
Marinette Marine representatives said delays and higher costs resulted, in part, from the availability of parts and materials and, in part, from the normal learning curve of building a prototype vessel.
Roughead said he is committed to ordering more Freedom Class ships after the prototypes have been tested and cost issues analyzed.
"I predict the LCS will be a workhorse in our Navy," he said. "We are looking at what the acquisition strategy should be."
Roughead said progress has been made on Freedom since he saw it six months ago, and he's comfortable with the delivery schedule. He declined to say when delivery would be.
The 377-foot Freedom is capable of speeds in excess of 40 knots and can operate in water less than 20 feet deep.
The ship will act as a platform for launch and recovery of manned and unmanned vehicles. Its modular design will allow the ship to be reconfigured for antisubmarine warfare, mine warfare or surface warfare missions on an as-needed basis.
Roughead has been touring all Navy shipyards since becoming chief of naval operations in September.
The chief of naval operations is the highest-ranking officer in the U.S. Navy and is a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
"I'm going to be making a lot of decision. I like to have walked the ground and talked to the people building the ships," he said.

Back