Adhd

Fox

Can you hear me now?
Hey, guys, I am just wondering if the people with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) can join the US military? Thanks. I'm just wondering.

Fox said:
Hey, guys, I am just wondering if the people with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) can join the US military? Thanks. I'm just wondering.

Call up any recruiter and they will be happy to answer that. I know of some Marines that said they had been diagnosed with ADHD when they were kids, and still exhibit symptoms. Dunno if they said anything to anyone about it though. . .

I'll try to KISS on this one. In years past it was an automatic disqualifyer and very few waiver were given. Now, probably because it is becoming such a common diagnosis (or misdiagnosis) they're a little more lenient.

ADHD in and of itself today generally won't disqualify you from military service. But you have to remember, each branch of service has their on policy on this. You'd have a better chance of getting into the Army with a history of ADHD than the Marine Corps, for example. That isn't to say the Marine Corps won't take you (see Rhode's post) but it's harder to get in. Plus, a lot of people lie about it on their med forms. Do not lie, ever. It'll come back to bite you in the fourth point.

There are a few different types of ADHA (inattentive, compulsive, combined) and that would have a factor as well as the severity and current status. You have to no longer display any active sympotoms of ADHD upon enlistment, and if there's any medication being given, you have to be off of it for at least 12 months prior to your physical. The reason being is the military policy of disqualification for the use of daily medication applies to any chronic disorder or condition that requires daily medication (such as medication for thyroid disorders, asthma, and diabetes, as well as stimulant medication for ADHD.)

The MEPS doctors (most of them) are pretty good about asking you questions to determine if you're fit. I would recommend if you know someone that's actually been diagnosed to get all of his medical paper work together, as well as any statements he can get from his GP and Psych stating he's good to go and can function without his medication (if he was on it recently). Also any school records that show a good academic and behavioral record. Give them to the recruiter and let him read over them, if he's not sure, tell him to do a med review before he goes to MEPS. This will let the doctors look over the paper work and clear him for a physical.

The more prepared, the better the outcome and any time you're dealing with MEPS you can never be too prepared.

I have ADHD and I served. Follow what PJ said and you'll be sorted no problem. If you conceal it and then later they discover it you will be discharged out for lying and if you piss em off enough you'll be charged with the applicable felony violations.

MightyMacbeth said:
what is it like to have this ADHD?

Arent kids with ADHD home schooled?

No, no reason for them to be. ADHD, in most cases, isn't so severe that the child cannot function. In fact, even without medications, when a diagnoses is made and changes in how you relate to the child are implemented, things usually become easier. Those that are put on medication will adjust because of that.

ADHD is all of the things normal children do, but multiplied. There are so many misdiagnosis of it these days that it's ridiculous.

For the average person, it's really hard to tell if a child has ADHD. Hyperactivity, forgetfulness, failure to listen, etc. These are all pretty common in every kid.

Bulldog can probably answer your question on what it's actually like.

ADD is a normal deviance in the brain of a person whereas at a metabolic level the cells of my brain function at a rate 10% slower than the average person on the planet. It does in no way affect intelligence. It affects the rate at which a person is able to intake the stimuli from the world around him. It results in something that looks like I am not paying attention or keeping up but in fact I am just lagging a bit behind and if I am not intrinsicly interested in the stimuli I move on without processing it all.
It makes for conversations that start about the charismatic nature of Sukarno's speech making and end up ten minutes later where we are talking about the best pub in Glasgow.

On the downside it makes it impossible to deal with large crowds or to sort out many stimuli and focus on something in the midst of the chaos usually.

On the very upside there is a high correlation shown in the research between high intelligence and ADD giving a person the ability to "hyperfocus" when they are interested in a subject. This results in someone pursuing a topic for hours and they never feel hungry or realise they need to hit the head till 12 hours later but it feels like its only been an hour.

As a medic in the Army it resulted in me getting into loads of trouble when I had nothing to do and being very accident prone but when I was on a run and was doing the "medic thing" I was locked in and the more pressure I was under the better I performed. Take the pressure off and I was undisciplined and unfocused. Drove my 1SGT nuts.

Only about 10-15% of people diagnosed with ADD as kids carry it through to adulthood. For some it is a curse and they need meds, for others they learn to cope and it gives them an edge over the other mere mortals around them. ;) Personally I take the meds now only when I have something important that I must focus on but know that I personally really am not that interested.

I think you have to go through a specific process to get a waiver but I think as PJ said, they are becoming more and more lienient as it becomes a more common...disorder(right word?)

C/2Lt Henderson said:
I think you have to go through a specific process to get a waiver but I think as PJ said, they are becoming more and more lienient as it becomes a more common...disorder(right word?)

Yup, disorder is right, but recently it has been discovered that it is more medical (a neurological disorder having to do with neurotransmitters) than actually "mental."

Not everybody has to have a waiver, it just depends on the circumstances. A person that had it when they were young, but have since "out grown" it will have an easier time than someone that still has the disorder and was taking meds for it 12 mons ago. The former probably wouldn't need waiver, but the latter most likely would.

It's difficult to qualify what would and wouldn't require a waiver because different branches have different policies and levels of acceptance, as do the thousands of doctors at MEPS stations across the country.

I could ask my father about it for the ARNG...I dunno what it is really...Hang on a sec..*walks to dads room*The ARNG's policy is that if they are currently taking medications then they cannot join. If they have taken medications around or before age 12 then its possible to get a waiver, but they have to stop taking the meds vvvvvveeeeerrrrrryyyyy young in order for that to be possible...Thats just for the Army National Guard...

well my dad is the Recruting NCOIC for the NorthEastern Alabama region so....i would guess he knows what hes talking bout...

No argument but I was in the Indiana National Guard after my time on active duty and they knew about my ADD.

ADHD is the old classification of the disorder, it is now called ADD by medical professionals. I was in from '87-'95. I was off the meds for daily use when I was about 16-17. It had been just 12 months when I stopped taking them daily but I was older than 12. Perhaps the regs have changed but I would hate to think they're going backwards in their understanding of this. As I described in my post and PJ stated its not mental its a physical disorder. The metabolic rate of the brains neurons is different.

Well, I can only go by what dad says and dad says you have lose the meds early in life or they wont take you...And depending again on the age, the dificulty of getting a waiver fluxuates...

bulldogg said:
ADHD is the old classification of the disorder, it is now called ADD by medical professionals. I was in from '87-'95. I was off the meds for daily use when I was about 16-17. It had been just 12 months when I stopped taking them daily but I was older than 12. Perhaps the regs have changed but I would hate to think they're going backwards in their understanding of this. As I described in my post and PJ stated its not mental its a physical disorder. The metabolic rate of the brains neurons is different.

Negative, it is the other way around. ADD is the old classification. ADD was used to describe ADHD - inatentive type.

Back