Adf Osb

Axon

Hi all,
this is to any Aussies out there who may have any experience or advice on the next step in the Australian Army recruiting process.

I passed the Assessment & medical the other day (yaaaay) & have been recomended to go to officer selection board in a couple of months for both Psychologist & GSO jobs. Without making the whole experience & next recruiting step redundent, are there any tips or advice to help prepare for OSB?

any comments would be appreciated :lol:

Last edited:
Go for GSO if you can. Don't go SSO.
It'll take longer and be harder work if you do GSO, but the OSB will love the commitment. Also if you are an SSO you can never command troops, and you will always sit in an office. Respect level is zero.

OSB is a challenge, but it isn't too hard. Be articulate, be courteous, don't be arrogant. But at the same time be confident... very confident.

The worst thing you can do is be nervous. Use plenty of eye contact with the staff. And for christ sake, when it comes to the lunch, use your manners. Remember you are trying to be an officer, so show them you can behave like one in the mess as well.

Good luck mate.

AussieNick said:
Go for GSO if you can. Don't go SSO.
It'll take longer and be harder work if you do GSO, but the OSB will love the commitment. Also if you are an SSO you can never command troops, and you will always sit in an office. Respect level is zero.

I hear what you are saying regarding going for GSO rather than SSO. To be honest, i think i will excel in either position, i am 32 & i have plenty of leadership experience & feel that in some aspects GSO is for me. I am also attracted to the 18 month training. Up until last week, i thought SSO training was for 12 months, when i found out it was only for 6 weeks i was disapointed not to have the opportunity for the extra soldier & leadership training.

However, i will be finishing my degree in Psychology at the end of the year, so i obviously would like to use that degree within the military. I understand that i would not be commanding troops as an SSO. Regarding respect, i will be in essence, employed as a psychologist....even though the bottom line is that i will be a soldier. If i am competent enough in my job then respect will come. I am not one of those fools who will talk to soldiers & say that "i know exactly how you feel". That will be the quickest way to lose respect. Just as long as i am able to do my job effectively by helping ADF staff, then i will be happy.

But saying that, if i am not offered the SSO job, then i will be just as happy with the GSO & will work, study and train to perform well in either position.

thanks for your input

:)

Regarding respect, i will be in essence, employed as a psychologist....even though the bottom line is that i will be a soldier. If i am competent enough in my job then respect will come.

This is not always the case. Sadly, a lot of soldiers don't see SSOs as soldiers, they see them as civilians given a uniform to help them fit in.

But then again this isn't always the case. The only reason I think people should go for GSO is that you can change your career as you go along. You could serve as a platoon commander for a couple of years, then if you bored with that you could go to another unit as the Psych officer, then after a while you might miss the other side and you can transfer again. It just gives you a whole lot more options.

AussieNick said:
This is not always the case. Sadly, a lot of soldiers don't see SSOs as soldiers, they see them as civilians given a uniform to help them fit in.

Or just simply pog

Back