ADF General Service Officer

Axon

Hi Everyone,
i am wanting to know whether in the ADF, if i joined as a General Service Officer (Graduate) with the intention of joining as, say an Officer in the Armoured Corps, what are the chances i would get the job i really wanted? I have heard that if people join as General Service Officers, there is no gaurantee to what job you will get at the end of training, which may be due to job availability & how well i went in training. So if i joined with the intention of joining the Armoured Corps, i might in reality be assigned to the Ordinance Corps.......or something. Is this true?? At the present time i have no intention of joining as a General Service Officer, but am wanting to know just in case i dont get the job i want.

thanks.

The ADF will consider your desire, however, if they want you to go to a particular Corps then that is were you will most likely end up.

Thats correct. You only find out your corp just before you graduate duntroon. They could send you anywhere. We had a bloke graduate at the end of Feb who was set on Cav, but ended up at transport. He was devestated.

Thanks for the replies guys, had a careers day at Uni yesterday & recruitment gave me the same answers you just gave me.

Cheers :)

Yeah but then you get situations like a mate of mine who was in the last graduating class. He was posted to armour, and his preferences were
1. Engineers
2. Infantry
3. Artillery
But he still got an arms corp so he was happy.

And another mate from the same class got Transport, his preferences were
1. Armour
2. Infantry
3. Signals
He was not happy, he threw his rank slides and his Transport corp hat badge and lanyard on the floor in front of Brigadier Appleton (commandant Duntroon), so he's now got himself a bad name with the top brass.

My preferences are:
1. Pilot GSO
2. Artillery
3. I'm tossing up between Infantry or Military Police.

You an Infantry Officer Nick?

My preferences are
1. Psychologist (Graduate)
2. Air Traffic Controller (RAAF)
3. ??? Ground Defence Officer (RAAF) ??? maybe

hopefully by this time next year, we'll see

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but, what can you do in a situation like this? If you chose Infantry but got sent elsewhere is it set in stone or can you 'argue' for your preferred preference?

Back