Adam Garcia: End of Watch - May 27, 2006

Whispering Death

We buried an old highschool friend of mine, Adam Garcia, on Friday. Corporal Garcia was wounded by small arms fire while returning from disarming an IED in Baghdad and died five days later from his wounds. Adam was a halarious guy, a noble man, and a great human being. I'll never be half the man he was and it's a god damned shame he was taken from us so soon; he was 20 years old.

If you believe in a god, give him a prayer.

Him and his family will be in my prayers, WD. America has lost another fine young man. He and his fellow fallen comrades will never be forgotten.

I just found an article online. I didn't realize that he was just down the street from me at NNMC Bethesda.

Coppell graduate killed in Iraqi battle
By Stephanie Hutson, Staff Writer
(Created: Tuesday, June 6, 2006 5:30 PM CDT)

Coppell High School graduate Spc. J. Adan “Adam” Garcia, 20, died May 27 in the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md., of injuries sustained while supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom, according to Department of Defense reports.

Garcia sustained injuries on May 22 in Baghdad, Iraq, when his convoy encountered small-arms fire received while returning from an explosive ordnance mission. Garcia served as a combat engineer and was assigned to the 1st Brigade Special Troops Battalion, 1st Brigade Combat Team, of the 10th Mountain Division based in Fort Drum, N.Y.

According to CHS assistant principal Kelly Hayes, who taught Garcia as a sophomore and mentored him throughout high school, Garcia decided to join the military after the attacks on Sept. 11.

“He always talked about wanting to be a policeman, but after 9/11 he said he wanted to join the military,” Hayes said. “Adam always wanted to serve people and that is what he was going to do.”

Hayes said Garcia called home on Mother’s Day and expressed interest in re-enlisting in the military after completing the last three months of his tour in Iraq. He had been serving in Iraq since August.

Garcia, an Irving resident, graduated from CHS in 2003 and played trombone in the marching band. Hayes said he will always remember him smiling.

“He was just a happy kid and was smiling every time I saw him, whether he was in class or walking down the hall, he had a big smile on his face,” Hayes said. “He was a good kid, never in trouble and always worked hard n one of those kids you love having.”

Garcia was survived by his father, Joe Garcia, his mother, Cynthia Garcia, and his sister, Danielle of Irving; paternal grandparents Emilio and Estella Garcia of Grapevine; and maternal grandparents T.J. and Grace Stewart of Harker Heights. Services were held at St. Ann’s Catholic Parish on Friday.

http://www.allenamerican.com/articles/2006/06/08/coppell_gazette/news/001news.txt

RIP. :salute2:

My sincere condolences at the loss of your friend. I'm sure he will always live in your heart and mind. I will keep him in my prayers.
RIP Spc. Garcia :salute2:

(my old unit too)

Last edited:
Back