Actually some good news for once.

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Teenager: Glad to save pregnant woman
Boy, 17, tells of strange encounter in Pennsylvania woods

(CNN) -- Adam Silvas was riding his all-terrain vehicle through the Pennsylvania woods when he came across a woman acting "really weird," standing near another woman, who was bloody, pregnant and lying on the ground by a car.

"I initially thought it was a murder," he told CNN affiliate WTAE in Pittsburgh.

Silvas, 17, went and got help. He's being hailed as a hero for saving the lives of Valerie Oskin, 30, and her son, who was born by Caesarean section at a hospital hours after the attack on Wednesday.

Oskin's neighbor, Peggy Jo Conner, 38, is charged with attempted homicide, aggravated assault and aggravated assault of an unborn child. She is in jail.

Silvas recalled the strange series of events in Armstrong County for WTAE on Friday. (See Silvas on the video -- 3:11)

"When I first saw it, I knew it was foul play because it was just very suspicious happening. The lady acted really weird," he said.

Conner told him "everything was fine," he said. He said he was going into the woods to ride, and she "smiled and waved at me."

"I didn't really say too much because I knew something was wrong. I had seen somebody laying beside the car," he recalled.

Instead he said he raced -- heart pounding, a lump in his throat -- back home to get his father, Andrew Silvas. The two rushed back to the site, unsure what they would find.

"It was pretty frightening," the father told WTAE. "You just don't know what you're going to get into when you head out for something like that, especially in remote areas like that."

When they arrived, he said, the woman who was standing had "an eerie calm about her." He asked her what she was doing. "She said, 'Nothing, nothing.'"

She told him she was planning to take the bloodied woman to the hospital.

"How come you didn't ask my son for help?" he said he asked. "She replied, 'I don't know.'"

The father then told his son to get back to the house and tell his mother to call 911.

As they waited for police, Adam Silvas said he saw that Oskin had severe wounds but was conscious. She later identified Conner as her attacker, police said. (Full story)

He said he got some blankets when he heard her mumble that she was cold and wanted a warm shower.

Conner seemed "spaced out, like she was hollow. She barely said a word," Silvas said.

Adam Silvas said he doesn't want to be viewed as a hero, although he's extremely happy that Oskin and her baby are doing well.

His father said, "I'm extremely proud of him. He handled himself very well."

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/10/15/attack.witness/index.html

Back