Actress Diaz Apologises for Mao Bag

--

June 25th, 2007  
phoenix80

Topic: Actress Diaz Apologises for Mao Bag

US actress Cameron Diaz has apologised for wearing a bag with a political slogan that evoked painful memories in Peru.The voice of Princess Fiona in the animated Shrek films visited the Incan city of Machu Picchu in Peru's Andes wearing an olive green bag emblazoned with a red star and the words "Serve the People", perhaps Chinese Communist leader Mao Zedong's most famous political slogan, printed in Chinese.The bags are marketed as fashion accessories in some cities around the world, but in Peru the slogan evokes memories of theMaoist Shining Path insurgencythat fought the government in the 1980s and early 1990s in a bloody conflict that left nearly 70,000 people dead."I sincerely apologise to anyone I may have inadvertently offended," Diaz said in a statement. "The bag was a purchase I made as a tourist in China and I did not realise the potentially hurtful nature of the slogan printed on it."One prominent Peruvian human rights activist said Diaz should have been a little more aware of local sensitivities when picking her accessories
June 25th, 2007  
5.56X45mm

I see the same thing all over the USA with idiots wearing those Che Guevara T-Shirts. Che Guevara is a painful reminder of the communist government of Cuba and many other Latin American Nations.

As for the Mao Zedong bags, I see those sold in large chain department stores along with the Che Guevara T-Shirts.

Macy's
Marshalls
JC Penny
Burdines
Sears
Etc....
June 25th, 2007  
Fox

Mao bag and Che Guevara t-shirt selling to Americans are make no sense to me. I don't know, that's just plain idiot. I mean, where is the Swastika flag in the stores? Yeah, they're evil like Mao and Che Guevara.
--
June 25th, 2007  
phoenix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56X45mm
I see the same thing all over the USA with idiots wearing those Che Guevara T-Shirts. Che Guevara is a painful reminder of the communist government of Cuba and many other Latin American Nations.

As for the Mao Zedong bags, I see those sold in large chain department stores along with the Che Guevara T-Shirts.

Macy's
Marshalls
JC Penny
Burdines
Sears
Etc....
Che was a communist terrorist...
June 25th, 2007  
MontyB

Well I am sure as big supporters of those who aren't politically correct you guys will be supporting her and others right to do as they please even if it goes as far as wearing Che T-Shirt or Mao bag anything less would be double standards.
June 25th, 2007  
Missileer

I'd like to see her in any T-shirt, preferably a wet one.
June 25th, 2007  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileer
I'd like to see her in any T-shirt, preferably a wet one.
No arguments here.
June 26th, 2007  
phoenix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
No arguments here.
Ditto!
June 26th, 2007  
Rob Henderson

Hehehe. Me either...On a serious note, I doubt she knew what the bag actually said, or knew who had said it...Could've been a Chinese proverb for all she knew...Sounds the like...
June 26th, 2007  
Damien435

Once again, political correctness is making stories where there are none. She's carrying a bag around with some Chinese characters on them, Whoopity do!
You don't see me beating people wearing a shirt with a British flag on it or cursing at someone wearing a t-shirt that says "Praise Allah!" on it yet those could also invoke 'painful memories' of past events. Water off a duck's back, water under the bridge, water <adjective> <noun>. Get over it and ***** about something that is truly wrong.