Academic Freedom Bill

It was overheard by my wife when talking to an acquaintance about children, "I'll be glad when they go to school and the teachers can teach them to behave"..... I'm not saying all young parents are this way but there is definitely a change in the way children of today are being raised.

+1. And not a change for the better, imo.

It's very sad.

Agreed, but it's missing the point of this topic, the bill of wheter Creationism should be taught in schools.

I think that the upbringing of children is worthy of a seperate thread. Anyone feel like starting one?

Agreed, but it's missing the point of this topic, the bill of wheter Creationism should be taught in schools.

I think that the upbringing of children is worthy of a seperate thread. Anyone feel like starting one?

TOG - Here we have always had specific Religious Instruction lessons in our schools and it did not greatly interfere with other stuff. For example, in my school, 1945- 50, about one hour or so a week, the Jewish boys went off to their lesson, the RC boys went off to theirs, and the rest of us satyed where we were for ours. No-one ever turned a hair it was not a contentious subject, we did not even question the division or the relative issues. It was personal, see. I never ever heard it discussed. The same went for the army, and my regiment was from the most sore religious divide possible - Glasgow, No Mean City. Again no problem.

If even Darwin himself, even, pointed out that we are not capable of comprehended the mysteries of creation yet, and would not rule out a personal God, why should we, even if we have to deal with a primitive comprehension and description. It simply passes on to us the ancient word of mouth messages and pointers, and man-kinds interest in an obvious creation of some sort, somehow. Darwin did not accept an accident it seems.

Furthermore, our greatest modern physicist point out that in his opinion there are certainly more in heaven and earth than that which we know and that there is, in his opinion, a great deal of unintelligent life in the universe, and also a small amount of intelligent life, and he believes that we are probably not yet an intelligent life.

So what do we yet know, what secrets are locked in Creationism and its pointers that we do not yet understand.

So, surely, the Religious Instruction lesson is a good and worthwhile option.

Oh, and if a thread as you describe becomes viable, I would be happy to put in my two pennyworth, although it is a subject which continues to bamboozle everyone, it seems.

Last edited:
True, that worked quite well then. But unfortunately there is no way that that will ever happen now.

I've heard stories from my parents that they would divide up PhysEd classes (which were NOT coed, that should be continued today) by ethnic group. Italians, Czechs, Germans, Serbians on one side, Poles, Russians, Albanians, everyone else on the other. There is NO way on earth that they could do things like that now, because things are too "politically correct". We're trying so hard to be politically correct that we're actually making fools of ourselves.

Today, such things as the ones that you and I mentioned would never happen, and can't, without a lawsuit by someone.

At the moment here, we are trying to encourage more of our Indians and Pakistanis etc. into our soccer. We have lots of black and foreign stars, we have Boxing stars from our Asian communities, and great cricketers.
But we are getting there, and it bucks me up no end to see them supporting our club and national teams. Maybe sport will help us make it.

So I was really interested in your description of American life. We never had the great melting pot, you see. Our immigrant waves came one at a time, Huguenots, then Jews, then West Indian, and now Muslims - mostly concentrating first in the same areas. The new wave of Poles has fitted in great, straight into work and moving up!! We are worried that they might decide to go back. Help.

Back