Abuse of Power: Cops

Do the Police Abuse Their Power?

• No, the Police Never Abuse Their Power

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes the Police Abuse Their Power

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Yes, At One Time or Another all Police Will/Have Abuse/d Their Power

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I Am Uncomfortable Answering This Question Because I am Sitting Next to a Policeman

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
I've never witnessed abuse of power by police 1st hand, but I am usually well behaved. I do think it takes a special breed of character and a lot of self-discipline; I know I couldn't do it. Arresting a man who just beat his pregnant wife would not be done gently, and anyone who harmed a child or animal would receive special attention. I had an officer in my home last night (filing report over ID theft) and he was perfectly professional, reassuring and rock solid. Honestly, I wanted to keep him, lol. I do feel really bad for people abused by them though, that's an uphill battle to fight and must leave its own brand of scars.

Many, many, years ago I applied and was tested for the San Diego County Marshalls Dept and the Orange County Sheriffs Dept in S. CA, and was accepted but by that time I was already in the US Army. After I retired from the Army I was hired by the Polk County, AR, Sheriffs Dept but at the last minute I declined the job. Primarily for the reasons you list - I know I could not restrain myself when it comes to things like child and/or animal abuse or, as you stated, spouse abuse.

Society is better off without me in uniform, caring a gun, on their streets.

You want to see abuse of police powers? Try jumping the queue in front of them at the donuts and coffee shop! :shock:

Yeah, you won't try that again? Will you?!

police-arrest-a-suspect-007.jpg

I didn't answer the poll because it's kinda hard to describe our police force (such as it is) here in South Africa... I really think most of them do their best, but they're seriously understaffed and underfunded. A reason why we have so many private security companies. Most people I know are registered with a PSC, so we have house alarms and panic buttons - because your PSC is likely to get to you quicker in an emergency than the police are!
HAHAHA, I once waited 3 days for the police to turn up after I reported a break in. We don't report break-ins anymore. That's what insurance is for....

So all that said, it's not really easy to answer whether they abuse their power or not. I think some of them definitely do. But, for the most part I think it's just a job and they want to go home at the end of the day - just like the rest of us.

Last edited:
HAHAHA, I once waited 3 days for the police to turn up after I reported a break in. We don't report break-ins anymore. That's what insurance is for....

We have a somewhat more responsive Police Force here in TX, and we also have insurance. In my case it is 12 gauge and .357 mag.

We have a somewhat more responsive Police Force here in TX, and we also have insurance. In my case it is 12 gauge and .357 mag.

They try and dissuade us from carrying our own guns here.
The country likes to teeter on the edge of anarchy at the best of times... haha!

I didn't answer the poll because it's kinda hard to describe our police force (such as it is) here in South Africa... I really think most of them do their best, but they're seriously understaffed and underfunded. A reason why we have so many private security companies. Most people I know are registered with a PSC, so we have house alarms and panic buttons - because your PSC is likely to get to you quicker in an emergency than the police are!

So all that said, it's not really easy to answer whether they abuse their power or not. I think some of them definitely do. But, for the most part I think it's just a job and they want to go home at the end of the day - just like the rest of us.

A woman alone in her car yesterday was stoned by a mob, she showed her firearm to the mob who then dispersed, next thing she is under arrest for pointing a firearm. Her son who witnessed the incident tried to tell the cop what had happened, he wasn't interested, therefore the woman was thrown in a cell until she can appear in court this morning.

A woman was pulled over by affirmative action cops for alleged drink driving near Gordons Bay not too long ago, they called her (among other things) "white trash" they refused to breathalyse her on the spot, they arrested her and took her to Gordons Bay nick. She had not been drinking and had to get her husband to contact a lawyer to get her out.

A number of my buddies are ex cops, the reason they resigned was because of affirmative action. Affirmative action cops with the IQ of a chocolate frog are being promoted into senior positions. I could go on and on.

Affirmative action cops with the IQ of a chocolate frog are being promoted into senior positions. I could go on and on.

Ah yes... well, Affirmative Action is a whole different kettle of fish. Living in KZN, we just get a lot of apathy... Personally, the interactions I've had with our local boys in blue has been fine (for the most part) in that I've never been verbally abused or anything like that yet - the men are infinitely better than the women. That's for sure!!! HAHA, but I suppose it's the price one pays for living in a 3rd world country. Thank the pope for my security company! :)

All this talk of abuse of power by LEOs (Law Enforcement Officer) is well, pretty much subjective. In Singapore, most if not all, will toe the line in following rules and regulations...

But this kinda reminds me of a joke that the late President Ronald Reagan used to tell... It was at a trial of a accident victim claiming compensation... It goes some thing like this...

Prosecutor: Now, tell the court, what was the nature of your injury?
Claimant: I sustained severe injuries to my back, bleeding to my leg and head...
Prosecutor: But that was not what you told the police officer who attended to you. You told him you were fine and in no pain at all...

When there was redirect by the defence attorney, he was asked what was the circumstances of him responding to the first responder by the police, this was what he said...

"There I was lying dow on the road, with my injuries, I saw a car came up and out step a deputy. He went to my horse, it was making painful noises becasue it was injured badly. I saw the deputy took out his gun, place the barrel to the horse head, and pulled the trigger. Then he went to my dog, it had a broken back and was whining pitifully. He did the same thing the dog as he did to the horse- shot it dead.

Then he came to me. He asked me, 'Are you in any pain?'...

What do you think I am going to tell him?"

Love that tale...

The bad ones are few, but the publicity received by them is totaly disproportional as is normal for the press.
We recently had two Police officers sacked becausse the CCTV footage showed them kicking the life out of an "Innocent man".
The media frenzy was nauseating, demanding "justice" for the the poor innocent.
However, when people came forward to support their statements that he was armed with a knife and had tried to stab the officers, the Police re-instated them, but the press didn't cover that side of the story.

The bad ones are few, but the publicity received by them is totaly disproportional as is normal for the press.
We recently had two Police officers sacked becausse the CCTV footage showed them kicking the life out of an "Innocent man".
The media frenzy was nauseating, demanding "justice" for the the poor innocent.
However, when people came forward to support their statements that he was armed with a knife and had tried to stab the officers, the Police re-instated them, but the press didn't cover that side of the story.

The Press, like Prosecutors, rarely admit to errors - if it doesn’t support their agenda they won’t print it unless they absolutely have too.

My country might be the only one where Cops can become millionaire on their income from service.here in many of the state Police= Mafia.I can cite innumerable cases of abuses by cops in India.

Back