Abu Ghrabi figure England burnt in prison mishap

phoenix80

Banned
Abu Ghraib figure England burnt in prison mishap

Reuters | Fri Dec 30, 2005 | By Adam Tanner

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Lynndie England, the U.S. soldier incarcerated for abusing detainees in Iraq, was badly burnt in a prison kitchen accident, her mother said on Thursday.

England, who was pictured holding a leash to a naked, hooded Iraqi inmate at the Abu Ghraib prison, was sentenced in September to three years for her part in the abuse scandal that sparked worldwide outrage. She is now confined to the Naval Consolidated Brig Miramar in San Diego, California.

England works in the prison's kitchen, where she suffered second- and possibly third-degree burns from being splattered with grease over her chest as she removed chickens from a tall oven, her mother, Terrie England, said in an interview.

"She was in severe pain," she said of the December 14 incident. "Everybody in the prison heard the scream."
Terrie England, who is caring for England's infant during her incarceration, faulted prison officials for not giving better treatment during a visit to the emergency room.

"They gave her nothing," she said. "When this happened I was furious. ... To think they give you nothing for pain."
Brewster Schenck, a spokesman for Consolidated Brig Miramar, confirmed England had been assigned to the kitchen, where inmates prepare and serve food mostly for other prisoners. He declined to discuss the accident or her medical condition.

Terrie England said the arrival of her daughter at the military prison caused a lot of curiosity, including autograph requests. "It wasn't just prisoners, it was guards and everything," she said.

She said Lynndie England had been taking a Bible prayer class in prison and telephoning home from prison about once a week. In a September interview with Reuters, England blamed her involvement in the Abu Ghraib scandal on then-lover Charles Graner, who is serving a 10-year sentence on abuse charges and is the father of her baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her mom is trying to drum up some sort of sympathy for her poor sweet innocent daughter who is not being treated like a porcelain doll in prison. She got burned, so what I say. If she doesn't like that, how about we just put a leash on her neck, remove her clothes, put some K-9 dogs from LAPD near her genitals and publish the photos in Time magazine?? Then send her home and call it even.
:evil:

as she removed chickens from a tall oven

Considering England is about 3 feet tall, this a fairly relative statement. Everything in the prison kitchen is probably "tall" compared to her.

I'm sorry I shouldn't make light of a burn injury, but for some reason, I just can't seem to find a whole lot of compassion for her within myself.

phoenix80 said:
She said Lynndie England had been taking a Bible prayer class in prison her baby.

Yeah Yeah Yeah. Why is it they always find religion after they get sent to prison. Maybe ya shoulda been worried that before you pulled that crap in Iraq huh?

I pity the little one that was the result of all this hubub.

Crap, I was hurt more times on KP than on the job for three years. I know manning an ADA site wasn't as bad as humping it in Vietnam but we had our bad times.

Last edited:
She got what she deserved for being careless in the kitchen maybe she need new prison job like cleaning the bathrooms especially when there clogged up with crap.

Gentlemen, lets set the record straight....what she did was wrong, but not criminal BY CIVILIAN COURT....what she did was forget as a American soldier her duties to herself and for shutting off her brain on duty; read the stats gentlemen....of the hundreds of claims of 'abuse', few were shown as such, what I want to know is where were the NCO's and First Sargent's at this prison? Where were the commanders and why aren't they handed their heads (or were they?)?....sounds to me like she tried to lift more than she could manage and didn't get help....she has a pattern of this, 'doing' instead of 'thinking'.....

I would with all due respect offer the following rant in response...

Where's my violin?
:roll:

1. Crap rolls downhill, such is life, not just in the military.

2. SHE committed the act, there was no gun to her head so she is responsible for her actions- no one else.

3. Her actions have further endangered coalition troops so I don't give a good god damn what excuses she or anyone else offers up on her behalf.

Last edited:
Sir, I am NOT offering excuses....by the US soldiers code of conduct and ethics what she did was pure wrong....she is a responsible for her actions, good or bad...period....but so was HER chain of command....THEY are also responsible AND accountable for HER actions....what happened to ALL her NCO's and Officers? Why haven't those people been barbecued like she was?

Typical modus operandi Blackwatch, the man in charge rarely takes the fall, it always falls to an underling... Ollie North, Scooter Williams, Karl Rove, this England character and her lover/moron. The differences only being that at higher levels the fall guy is usually a willing participant taking it on in exchange for favours from the person they're protecting and at the lower levels they take the fall by virtue of the fact that they did the deed. They did it and we as a society don't put the same burden of shame on an incompetent supervisor as we do on a culpable actor.

I very clearly and specifically remember being instructed during BASIC training when it came to our instruction on the Law of War the following... If you are given an order that you KNOW is wrong or illegal you have the absolute duty to refuse that order because following orders is no excuse for commiting an offense and you will be held accountable regardless.

Blackwatch said:
Gentlemen, lets set the record straight....what she did was wrong, but not criminal BY CIVILIAN COURT..

..what she did was forget as a American soldier her duties to herself and for shutting off her brain on duty;

what I want to know is where were the NCO's and First Sargent's at this prison?

A civilian Police Officer or a Corrections Officer would have been convicted of excessive force, assault and a myriad of other charges. Not to mention the civil judgements that would have been issued against them and their agency.

Right it's called conduct unbecoming.

Her NCOIC is doing a ten year bit.

There were many people who should have been supervising her and the prison got away with it. Why is it that muck flows down to lower ranks while praise and rewards only to go those in charge.

Back