Absolute BS

implicature

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=i_team&id=5673526

SAN FRANCISCO, Sep. 24, 2007 (KGO) - New York said "yes," but we said "no." Why were the U.S. Marines denied permission to film a recruiting commercial on the streets of San Francisco?
San Francisco is, once again, the center of a controversy over how city leaders treat the U.S. military. This time, it involves an elite group of Marines who wanted to film a recruitment commercial in San Francisco on the anniversary of 9/11.
The tension has been building in the two weeks since the city turned away members of the Silent Drill Platoon, and it boiled over Monday afternoon at a meeting of the San Francisco Film Commission.
The U.S. Marine Silent Drill Platoon performed Monday morning in New York's Times Square. They filmed part of a recruitment commercial through the start of the morning rush hour -- something they could not do in San Francisco on the anniversary of 9/11.
"It's insulting, it's demeaning. This woman is going to insult these young heroes by just arbitrarily saying, 'no, you're not going to film any Marines on California Street," said Captain Greg Corrales of the SFPD Traffic Bureau.
Captain Greg Corrales commands the police traffic bureau that works with crews shooting commercials, TV shows and movies in the city. He's also a Marine veteran and his son is serving his third tour of duty in Iraq.
He says Film Commission Executive Director Stefanie Coyote would only allow the Marine's production crew to film on California Street if there were no Marines in the picture. They wound up filming the empty street and will have to superimpose the Marines later.
"Ms. Coyote's politics blinded her to her duty as the director of the Film Commission and as a responsible citizen," said Captain Corrales.
We asked Stefanie Coyote why they're not allowing the Marines to shoot on California Street. She wouldn't answer our questions.
At today's Film Commission meeting, she said she wouldn
I can't even begin to fathom what is going through their heads when they won't support the troops. This is a disgrace. If you would like to contact them:
Stefanie Coyote - Executive Director
Kristin Treiber - Deputy Director
Laurel Barsotti - Office Manager

Phone: 415.554.6241
Fax: 415.554.6503

San Francisco Film Commission
City Hall, Room 473
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Pl.
San Francisco, CA 94102

or electronically:

FILL OUT THIS FORM

Okay Devil your talkin about San Fran Peoples Republic. Why does this surprise you.

What would surprise me is if they would have actually allowed it.

Okay Devil your talkin about San Fran Peoples Republic. Why does this surprise you.

What would surprise me is if they would have actually allowed it.

I guess you have a point there 03. But still the Captain in their police force is former USMC. This tells me that they are reaping the benefits of our Nations armed forces. How could "the city" just blindly turn their back on something like that? I guess i am just "tainted" by my patriotism.

I guess you have a point there 03. But still the Captain in their police force is former USMC. This tells me that they are reaping the benefits of our Nations armed forces. How could "the city" just blindly turn their back on something like that? I guess i am just "tainted" by my patriotism.

They are bastion of misdirected 60's throwback libbism. I've known guys who were stationed at Mare Island and Vally-joe that told stories of being called "baby-killers" in the 1980's when they pulled libo in Frisco. They were standin post not outbound to a hot-zone.

Frisco is it's own little world. No explainin it. I just laugh at it.

I am from California, and this is the only city I really just DON'T like. They would never do this in Los Angeles.

Just thought i would give this a bump and post this little gem of information.

Mayor's email address is: gavin.newsom(at)sfgov(dot)org

Couple of days ago, group of Marines returning from Iraq were denied entry to Oakland airport main terminal, I heard about it on Fox News

Oakland airport

Last edited:
A REPLY FROM SAN FRANCISCO

This was a reply from the Film Commission in San Francisco. :sorry:
At least now we can set the record straight!!

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the San Francisco Film Commission regarding the United States Marine Corps' recent filming of a television commercial in San Francisco.

There has been a great deal of misinformation about the filming and we would like to set the record straight:

The Unites States Marine Corps' film production company, Tight Productions, did recently film part of a commercial in San Francisco. Reports claiming that a film permit was denied are incorrect.

Initially, Tight Productions requested a permit for a specific location at a time that could not be accommodated. (The request would have required closing a busy downtown intersection for the majority of a workday including commute hours.) Tight Productions was immediately offered a variety of other San Francisco locations that could accommodate their filming at the time requested OR the specific downtown location at another time. They chose to film at their original location at another time and a film permit was promptly issued.

Tight Productions never had a problem with this process. The company has in fact written a letter to the President of the San Francisco Film Commission assuring him that their production needs were fully met by our office. I have attached a copy of that letter to this email for your review.

The San Francisco Film Commission issues film permits without regard to
content. It is our mission to both promote and facilitate filming of all
kinds here in our great city. When issuing permits, our primary concerns are safety and managing disruption to the residents and workers of San Francisco. Please be assured that Mayor Newsom and the San Francisco Film Commission welcome the United States Marine Corps to San Francisco at anytime.

We appreciate your concern with regard to this matter and hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

San Francisco Film Commission
415-554-6241 Phone
415-554-6503 Fax
www.filmSF.org

(See attached file: TightLetter.pdf)

Ah, well... a small serving of humble pie but nothing to lose any sleep over. My apologies to the San Francisco Film Commission, for the ill feeling I've wasted on them.

I believe that come Election Time there will be Blogs Reporting as fact that the Marines were kept out of the City, called names, and even perhaps spit on, and all the while linking back to the original Report.

Back