Abrams Tank Training

justin1552

Hurr Durr
I know this may violate OPSEC and PERSEC, and if it does, i'm sorry. But i'm curious as to what the training is for becoming part of an M1A2 Abrams tank crew? I know you usually have to be a bit small in size and height, but how do they teach you? Do they use the computer simulations, or do they do hands-on training? Also, what would the physical requirements be for joining a tank crew?

What I can answer for sure is yes they will do simulation and then they will move on to a hands on training. You will spend allot of time on/in/around a tank. You will be proficient in your tasks as a tanker before you leave that school.

19K One Station Unit Training (OSUT) Graduate has:
  • Completed Mandatory Basic Combat Training (BCT)
  • Passed the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT)
  • Lived and operated tactically in the field
  • Tactically driven 14 miles in a M1A1 Abrams tank
  • Fired 6 Main Gun rounds
  • Qualified with the 9mm Pistol and M16A2 rifle
  • Demonstrated proficiency performing -10 level Preventative Maintenance Checks and Services (PMCS)
  • Passed the basics of Dismounted Land Navigation
  • Passed Armor Crewman Tests 1 & 2 and Armor Stakes (Tank Crew Gunnery Skills Test [ TCGST ] incorporated)
  • Prepared the Driver's and Loader's station for operation
  • Familiarized the Gunner's station
  • Completed Combat Lifesaver certification
http://www.knox.army.mil/school/index.asp

Last edited:
You're darn right I am. Armor is my family's history! My Uncle was in 2nd armored during Desert Storm and was an M1A1 Tank commander. And my stepdad's father was in the 50th Armored during Vietnam.

Yep. My uncle really hopes I get into the same division as him but it won't happen because we're related. I hope I get into 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized) The same ones that took Baghdad.

nothing beats the tanks!
apache_ominous.jpg

:avi:

Tanks are still awesome though. :cool: My friend Jared is in tank training so tell him WHATS GOOD if you see him.

@amjor liabilty-those are for softies.anyone can launce a Hellfire missile, it takes a real man to fry to a crisp after taking one right up the a**...:)

@amjor liabilty-those are for softies.anyone can launce a Hellfire missile, it takes a real man to fry to a crisp after taking one right up the a**...:)

Like the Allied soldiers have enough balls to face the German Tigers?

Damn right it does. And it takes a real man to fire a tank round and get a face full of backblast.

Back