Abrams Tank

Well, I've seen interviews with a tank crew of a Challenger 2 that was completely disabled and both of its sights blown out so they where completely blind. Then after a total of 8 well targeted RPG rounds they where hit by an ATGM. The crew survived and just described them as loud bangs and a VERY loud bang (ATGM) but didn't say anything about problematic concussion and none of them where injured.

FULLMETALJACKET said:
right. so this will probably be one of the last tanks ever built.

There will always be tanks. They've been saying that since the 1950s. As long as there is a spear the soldier will need a shield.

bulldogg said:
Here's something that just crossed my mind. I never served in armour and those I know who did never experienced or knew someone who experienced this.

What is it like for the crewmen inside when 500lbs of HE go off under yer belly? Or when a 125mm sabot rounds makes solid contact?

And second in this same tank, CadSea, that they tested the rounds on. You said the crewmen repaired it then got in and drove off. If these crewmen had been inside would they have been killed or injured? To what extent?

As an aside... I have heard of some documentary-like footage of testing sabot rounds on an old M60 Patton with goats inside. The narrator claims the force of the penetration of the round created an increased atmospheric force inside the sealed turret which crushed the goats bodies and the exit created a vaccum which sucked them out a very small hole virtually liquifyting them in the process.

While I can't vouche for the safety of the crew, I can tell you that test was in 1978 on the XM1. Now add an extra ton of Chobham and another of DU mesh.

I have read about the goat test. The M60 has regular rolled armor, not RHA.

I can't remember the name of the book, but it's writen by a tanker in First Gulf War. After a long push through the desert, they stopped to rest and refuel. The TC got out and was getting off the tank when he saw six sabot penetrators in the turret of his tank "Stuck like arrows in the armor."

I am currently in a club at my college that teaches us the tactics and operation of the Abrams and I really like it after being around it for a couple of weeks. Not too many complaints but the basic newb ones are its hard to climb into the driver's seat from the turrent and it is really dark when no power is to it and going down to the driver seat, it gets claustrophobic.

thegrinch073 said:
I am currently in a club at my college that teaches us the tactics and operation of the Abrams and I really like it after being around it for a couple of weeks. Not too many complaints but the basic newb ones are its hard to climb into the driver's seat from the turrent and it is really dark when no power is to it and going down to the driver seat, it gets claustrophobic.

You're so lucky. My dream millitary job would be to sit in an Abrams' command seat. Just too bad I've got this strange affinity for air conditioning that keeps me in civilian life ;)

Craftsman wrote:
Personally i think that the Leopard 2 looked better on paper for Australia's needs.

Whispering Death wrote:

The Leopard 2 is lighter, faster, has better range, is diesel, and has many compatible parts and i would assume alot more operational simularities with the previous Australian main battle tank, the Leopard.

I am NOT saying this tank is better then that tank i am just commenting on which i believe better suits Australia's needs.

Whispering Death said:
thegrinch073 said:

You're so lucky. My dream millitary job would be to sit in an Abrams' command seat. Just too bad I've got this strange affinity for air conditioning that keeps me in civilian life ;)

The Abrams is a giant air conditioner. It's really cool on the M1A1's with the CWS, using the .50cal from inside.

Whispering Death said:
thegrinch073 said:

Just come to Norwich Univeristy for college studies and choose to be a cadet. It's a crap load of work, but you get to join cool clubs like armor company, the only program like it in the nation. Plus there is rangers, mountain cold weather, and many other clubs for those that are highly motivated people.

I asked some friends to send me some pictures of disabled Abraham Tanks in Iraq, here are just a few of the pictures

437Another_destroyed_M1A1-med.jpg

[/img]

The first one looks to have been hit by an RPG-7V HEAT round in the engine compartment.

The second must have been hit by a bomb or an IED and caught fire.

There are dozens of these tanks scattered all over the place, I don't know what happened to the crews. I just requested some friends to take a few pictures on their travels.

437abrams1-med.jpg
[/img]

Back