Abrams Destroyed in Iraq

Venom PL said:
There were a lot of discussions on this forum about the best tank in the world etc. By posting those pictures I want to show you that there is no such thing as "invincible tank" - especially in urban warfare.

http://www.primeportal.net/m1_damaged_iraq.htm
http://armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/Modern/Abrams/oops/
http://dostronyk.w.interia.pl/abramsy.html

Most of those tanks were destroyed or damaged by RPG-7 and IED

No one spoke of the most invincible tank in the world, they spoke of the best tank in the world. Show me a tank and I'll show you a bomb that will destroy it. For survivability, I'll take the Abrams.

Of the tanks in those pictures that appear to be combat losses, how many of the crew were killed when the damage to the tank occurred? How much of the damage was caused by US forces destroying sensitive equipment so it wouldn't fall into enemy hands?

I have read an article in US Today saying that since march 2003 till march 2005 - 80 Abrams were destroyed, 15 crew members died.

So assuming (yeah I know what "assume" makes out of you and me) four crew per Abrams, that's 320 potential fatalities. That's better than a 95% survival rate for the crew. I believe some those stats are even better considering a few of those crewmen were killed exiting a disabled tank. Sounds like a pretty good tank to me.

Undoubtedly Abrams is a very good tank (one of the best in the world) and as it was mention it gives very hi protection to its crew. Even if Abrams was destroyed by IED in most cases its crew survived.

Ps: I don't know if I made myself clear but by posting this topic I've just wanted to show that even the best tanks in the world like Abrams, Challenger, Leopard etc are very vulnerable in urban warfare and can be easily destroyed.

Venom PL said:
80 Abrams were destroyed, 15 crew members died.

I have heard else where that it was only 20 Abrams destroyed since March 2003. Other than that I agree nothing is unbeatable.

They were destroyed with the help of Iran backed militias and special trainings that Syrian or Iranian govts give em to detonate such massive and capable tanks

LeEnfield said:
Any pictures of losses to the Challenger Mk 2

challenger_001.jpg

Easy-8.....Why are all the people on the Tank wearing combat uniforms, have the Iraq insurgents taken to wearing British uniforms?

Easy-8 said:
I have heard else where that it was only 20 Abrams destroyed since March 2003. Other than that I agree nothing is unbeatable.
I think most of those crewmembers died because they had their heads stickin' out and got sniped or because their tanks rolled over, fell into the Euphrates etc. So it does seem to be protective as hell!
LeEnfield said:
Easy-8.....Why are all the people on the Tank wearing combat uniforms, have the Iraq insurgents taken to wearing British uniforms?
Can you positively ID them as British?

Yes they are British, they even appear to have a jack on the front of the tank as they get the tracks back on.

Back