About the physical requirements...

Ulath

Ill tell you the cold hard truth and that is that when I was little I was indeed chubby. Not too chubby but chubby nonetheless :lol:. I hit my growth spurt and it all evened out. Im about 6' right now and I weigh around 165. Which is in fact less than I should weigh I think but Im still growing. I hit my growth spurt about a year ago and shot up about a foot. I had no muscle whatsoever until I took weight training for half a year as a sophmore. Im now a Junior and I regularly run and work out and such and I am seeing some results but Im not the biggest guy around yet. Im worried that I wont have enough time to bulk up before I go into the Army because I want to make SF. As of last year in my first year in any kind of weight training I started out benching around 95 and squatting even less. By the end of those 18 weeks I got up to around 115 bench and around 115 for squats also. What Im asking is will I be bale to bulk up to the strength I need to become a SF Soldier? Ive got the determination to do it. I know I do. I did some 200 situps last night continuously when my previous record had been 88. It hurt like hell but I kept on because I want to be a SF Soldier. I want it bad. More than anything in all my life. Ill do whatever it takes. Ill run everyday. Ill work out everyday. Ive got a Bowflex right outside my room and Im not afraid to put a hurting on myself. If you have any tips or advice please help. Im willing to listen and learn. Thanks.

It is as much about the physical strength as it is about endurance. Try to find yourself a good training regimen that is a cross between strength and endurance. Get to where you can run at least 3 miles in 20 minutes or less, do 100+ situps in 2 minutes, and at least 100+ pushups in 2 minutes or less or 20+ pullups (correct pullups). Keep in mind that too much training (stress on the body) is as bad for you as not enough training.

Just because you can lift 300lbs 5 times does not mean you will be able to lift 150lbs 10 times. I know guys in the USMC that are strong as heck. But they still can not do as many pull ups as me because their strength is outweighed by their lack of endurance. Their muscles are not conditioned to do the same motions over and over again without tiring.

Thanks for the help but can I ask something elese of you? If you dont mind could you inform me of how to get there. Right now Im waking up and doing as many as I can till my arms wont raise me then I wait and do some more. Im trying to get over 100 pushups or more a day. Right now I can only do about 20 perfect pushups till muscle failure. I weigh around 170 now due to muscle gain and its no easy task. Ive got the situps down pat. Last year during the PFT I was still out of shape and such and I did 34 pushups by pure willpower and did 88 situps in 2 mins. I ran 1.5 miles in around 13 something minutes. Ive been running as often as a can. I do PT every Monday and Wendsday and we do around 20 pushups and run 8/10 of a mile in around 7-8 minutes. After PT I usually run around my neighborhood twice a week on offdays. If you can, post the things you do or did to get in shape and Ill be very appreciative.

This was my workout schedule for a long time:

Monday:
Do a complete set of stretches to warm your body up.
2 Sets of Max Situps/Crunches
3 Sets of Max Pullups with 20 Pushups after each set and 60 second rest time between sets.
Run for 15 minutes out then run back to starting point. This does not work well if you run in a circle of course. This is meant to build up your endurance by running away from your starting point for 15 minutes then running back to your starting point.

Tuesday:
Concentrate on your Triceps, Biceps, Back, and Legs. Do not go for heavy weights. Use moderate weights that you can 3 sets of 15 with and not strain to complete the third set.

Wednesday:
3 Sets of Max Pullups with 20 Pushups after each set and 60 second rest time between sets.
Run for 15 minutes out then run back to starting point. This does not work well if you run in a circle of course. This is meant to build up your endurance by running away from your starting point for 15 minutes then running back to your starting point.

Thursday:
Concentrate on your Triceps, Biceps, Back, and Legs. Do not go for heavy weights. Use moderate weights that you can 3 sets of 15 with and not strain to complete the third set.

Friday:
Sprints. Can do this several ways. I used to live in a rural road. I would sprint from one light pole to the next, walk to the next one then sprint again, rinse and repeat. You only need 3 lightpoles approximately 100 feet apart from each other.

Saturday:
Do a complete set of stretches.
Rest

Sunday:
Do a complete set of stretches,
Rest

The reason I did not run on Tuesday and Thursdays is too much running can harm your joints and bones. Good running shoes is a must. This does not mean the most expensive pair, it just means good running shoes.

These are the methods I employed to get myself in shape and maintain my level of fitness. This is not to say that they will work as well for you or that they are healthy for you.

Keep in mind that if you PT too much you can actually harm your body. You also should observe a healthy diet and it may be neccesary to take some vitamin supplements. I personally do not reccomend getting on the weight gain supplements and products of that nature that you get from GNC. Some of it is banned by use in the USMC as they contain ingredients that can be used as precursors to steroids. It is a good idea to talk to a personal trainer at your local gym. They will likely be a better judge of your fitness than I am.

On another note, I personally dislike the Bowflex machine. I had one for awhile and it seemed that the closer you got the "bow" to the rest position the less resistance there was.

I agree. I dont like the Bowflex myself. Wish I had an old fashioned weight bench but Ive gotta work with what I have. I know the exercises to work out my Biceps. I know the the classic freeweight curl but I dont have freeweights so I put around 55 on a handle and then curl it 15 times with 3 reps. Im not too sure on how to work triceps because you cant do a Bench-style setyup on the Bowflex I have. I have a Bowflex XTL. Ive been trying different exercises tryin to figure out one and the only one I can think of is where I sit with my back against the pole. The Weight is on each handle. The handle sits about my calf level and behind me about 3 inches back. I pull the weight out acting sort of like a bench manuever. I dont lock my elbows and I end up basically using my upper arm to pull the weight forward. Its very hard and the veins in my arm all become instantly visible. Shoulder excercise is Pushups and to hang the bar over my head with around 80 on each side. Pull down behind my head and place it on my neck, back-military style. Im at a loss for the others.

Also I just read about the sprints. Are the lightpoles 100 feet apart total or from lightpost to lightpost? How are Combat boots for running :D ? I use a pair of my dad's that he got in the past from the Airforce. Doesnt hurt when I run in em but I need to get a bigger size.

Pushups will work your triceps, back and chest.

If you are unable to access some freeweights then here is an excercise that will allow you to isolate them. Take two chairs and place them close together. Place a hand on the seat of each chair (make sure they will not fall over on you). Suspend yourself by your hands with your arms only holding you up. Keep your legs extended with your feet together and toes pointed to the ceiling. Then lower yourself approximately 6 inches (depending on how long your arms are) and come back up. You should feel an nice burn after about 5 of these. This will work your back, chest and triceps as well but wth more emphasis on your triceps.

Yes, most lightpoles used for electricty, cable and telephone are approximately 75-100 feet apart.

I personally would not run in combat boots. Trust me, when/if you get in you will have plenty of chances then. If you want to run with the weight get some of the 1-3lb ankle weights that some people use when running/walking.

Combat boots are not designed for running. They do not have the proper support and cushion that your joints need when running long distances and could very well cause you longterm pain.

Even in the USMC there is a Marine Corps Order that states you will run no more than one "boots and utes" run per 30 days as a unit or section.

One other thing, you can probably go to the salvation army or some yardsales or such and find some really cheap freeweights. I know I had picked up the old plastic wrapped concrete kind at a yardsale for 15 bucks for the set. Just an idea.

Thanks a ton man. Im gonna follow this routine. Im curious as to how long it'll take to see results but Id guess about 4-8 weeks and Id see some muscle growth. Ill pick up a good pair of running shoes when I can. Again Im extremely thankful! I should be up to par in atleast 2 years eh?

If you keep that routine up for 2 years with no increase in activity then I would be willing to bet that you could almost out PT your Training/Drill Instructors/Sergeants. As it is once it starts getting too easy then you will want to increase the amount of weight, time running, number of repetitions, etc etc.

Once you make it easy you will "plateau" and will get no better until you start pushing yourself more.

That plan is more of a conditioning and maintenance regimen than it is to increase the abilities of one that is already in that area of performance.

Don't go to mad on training as you can you more harm than good, plenty of light exercises is fine, but to much on the weights yet as many of your joints are still growing.

LeEnfield said:
Don't go to mad on training as you can you more harm than good, plenty of light exercises is fine, but to much on the weights yet as many of your joints are still growing.

I couldn't agree more.

Hey, Ulath, you do that weekly routine for 2 years (and I mean DO it), and you'll either be a god or dead. But don't forget to follow you studies and try to enjoy your last couple years of free-teendom. There's more to SF than physical demands, and you'll also never be a teen again, man. Don't ruin it for yourself.

One more tip on working your triceps: Someone once taught me to do push-ups with your hands together, not spread apart like traditionally. Also, your feet and hands should be closer together, with your butt sort of sticking in the air. Sounds cooky I know, but try it - make a sort of triangle with your hands by touching the ends of your thumbs and index fingers together, and touch your forehead into that triangle, then push back up.

It works - focuses much more of the energy required to push up on your triceps than traditional pushups.

Thanks very much guys. Im trying to follow the routine but work is gettin in the way. Im gonna have to tell em to cut my hours. Turns out there is a gym with tons of freeweights up the street from my house no more than 4 minutes away. So Im going to subscribe to that and start goin with a buddy of mine. Now that I know how to get in shape and get stronger the only thing holding me back from going Enlisted are my parents. I told me mom I wanted to forgo becoming an officer to be an enlisted-man for SF and she cried. What the hell? I dont see why she cares. Its what I want to do. They give me food, a place to live, and most of all something I enjoy doing plus they pay me for it. What do I need money for besides a car or anything I enjoy? I dont get it. My dad wants me to be in the Airforce and do computers so I can make tons of money but I dont want to do that. I hear stories from people all the time that say they hate their jobs and their lives are living hells because of it. Shouldnt I do something I enjoy even if it doesnt pay good? I think I should. Thanks again.

Just got done having a talk with my parents and they say Im stupid and that Ive wasted their time wanting to throw away a high-paying career. They say Ill end up pumping gas saluting everyone else and one day retiring and getting $900 a month where I wont be able to afford food or medicine for my old self. Playing the guilt trip and everything. They say Im stupid and that if I do this Ill learn the hard way and come whimpering back. I do NOT think so. Ill will do anything in this world I have to become Special Forces. I will study my arse off. My dad says Special Forces have to have college education with many different languages under their belt. He says Special Forces went to college then joined the Army and didnt become officers. My parents told me to join as enlisted you couldnt go to college because they would make me an officer and that was the only reason I didnt want to go. Ill go if it gets me to Special Forces. Sorry if this doesnt make much sense but Im fairly angry at this point.

First, let me say your attitude is excellent, keep it up and it will carry you far, esp if you wish to be SF.

Take the advice some of the other members have given you. Do not push yourself. The last thing you want to hear is you're disqualified because of an injury.

Weights are well and good, but you really need to work on your endurance. Run, run and when you think you're done, run some more.

Don't worry so much about "beefing" up. Work on your core strengths.
Your back is very important, and a lot of people forget to work the lower and upper back, esp the lower. Work your abdominals. Upper body strength is great, but it won't support that 100lbs + pack on your back.

Same with your legs, you can't carry your own weight if your legs aren't strong.

I would advise going easy on the weights - you don't want to be a body builder.

Continue with the push ups, situps, etc. Have I mentioned running?

Swimming is great if you have access to a pool. Very little chance of injury, easy on your joints and can help with your cardio, endurance as well as strength - you will work muscles you never knew you had swimming, and you'll need to know how for SFAS anyway.

As MarineHodes said, do not run in combat boots. A big no no and you're just asking for an injury.

The most important thing to do is take your time, you are in no rush. Do not forget to enjoy your childhood, you only get a shot at it once.

i was wondering, im pretty short, 5'2 and im 16, im not sure if i will grow much more, will this be a problem if i want to join the MArines?

I wouldn't worry about growing more just yet. As a 16 year old male you have an excellent chance of growing more. At 17 I was 5' 8" but at 18 I was 6' 0". My three brothers followed a similar growth pattern.

Aw, I think it's adorable that you were chubby and now you're skinny! I don't really have much knowledge about the military, but good luck anyway! :D

I wish I could follow this to the T but I'm trying my best. If I'm not at school I'm at work and if I'm not at work I'm working at home or doing chores. I'll try to do it before I go to sleep and whatnot though. My dad says I'm stupid for wanting to live in the mud and not be able to provide for my family but who says I'm going to have a family. Sure if I meet the right girl who I cant live without but its really a choice between the two. Lots of money, respect, and a wife and good family or do what I want to do. Live in the mud. He says I really don't know what I want and I told him this, "I want to fight, some people aren't willing to fight for their freedom and other's freedom," and he replied with,"You're not using your full potential by being a foot soldier. You could be a pilot or an officer and make more of a difference." I said,"I want to fight first-hand. I don't want to tell other men to do what I myself am not willing to do," and he countered with,"No one fights first-hand anymore. You'll grow out of this and so on and so on." Truth is all I want out of life is to have fun and live an adventurous life. I think living in the mud would make me appreciate things more. Its a test for myself to be a foot soldier. I know I could be an officer if I wanted but I don't want to sit at a desk and tell other people what to do. My dad says I'm just being used by the government and they could screw me over if they wanted.
Ill just have to keep at it and see what they say. They say my reasons are wrong because I shouldn't want to use my brain to my full potential. Why cant I use my brain and be a first-hand soldier? I don't see a reason why not. My dad says Special Forces don't even fight. That they walk around in civilian clothes and just get the civilians to like the U.S. more. He says I have my information wrong.
Sorry if this doesn't make sense but I've had 4 hours of sleep and its been a very long day. /rant off.

Hey, just wanted to say that your parents aren't correct in a lot of what they are saying to you.
For one, Special Forces play a pivital role during both war and peacetime.
Two, you get to use your brain A LOT while in Special Forces. You can't make it through ANY special forces training (Ranger, Green Berets, SEALs, Marine Recon, Parajumpers) and not use your brain; it is impossible. Making it through any special forces training isn't all about wallowing in the mud and being superman strong, its also a test of your mind. The weak minded don't make it through training, much less actual combat.
Three, considering the language requirements, they teach you that. And only certain special forces groups require every man to learn a language, and again if they do, they will teach you.
By the way? you can join the Special Forces and be an officer. Special Forces need leaders too, but special forces officers are on the field.

Sorry to digress, but I thought you might want to know these things. Try telling this to your parents. If they don't believe you, ask any SF soldier or look online; there are plenty of legit sites that will tell you what I've said and more.

Good luck and hope to be calling you a SF soldier in a couple of years!:p

Hornet SL, report immediately to the Welcoming Center and post an introduction. After doing so, read and know the forum rules.

Back