About Hurricane Katrina

Currently underway. The entire city is being evacuated, the largest such event in US history as far as I can remember.

Houston will be taking the majority of the refugees with Dallas expected to house upwards to 100,000. My little college town of Waco is expected to have 1,000 staying in some of our churches. Honestly, you'd probobly be safer in Iraq than New Orleans right now.

I read news on CNN.com and learned that New Orleans is now in disorder. And those still blocked in the city are desperate and some violence and rape happened.
It seems like scenes in the movie, The Day After Tomorrow.

Hi,

UN offers Help

Reuter

United Nations Undersecretary-General Jan Egeland, who oversaw relief efforts after the Indian Ocean tsunami in December 2004, offered Washington U.N. assistance in a formal letter to new U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. John Bolton.

"The United Nations stands ready to help with any kind of disaster expertise that might be required ... in full recognition that the United States is the country in the world that possesses the greatest civilian and military search and rescue and recovery assets themselves," Egeland told Reuters in an interview.

He said U.S. officials had thanked the U.N. for its offer, but had not requested any assistance so far.

Egeland called Katrina one of "the largest, most destructive natural disasters ever."

Germany Offers Help

Bloomberg
German Foreign Minister Joschka offered assistance to the U.S. government in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, which has caused devastation on the U.S. Gulf Coast.

``The federal government is prepared to give any assistance or support to bring this terrible natural disaster and its effects under control,'' Fischer said in an e-mailed statement today, without elaborating on the offer.

Russia Offers Help

Source
Russia is ready to assist the United States in dealing with the damage caused by hurricane Katrina, which has taken 68 lives so far and left behind a tremendous amount of devastation, Russian President Vladimir Putin said in a message to U.S. President George Bush Tuesday.

"Russia deeply sympathizes with Americans, who faced a disaster of such a colossal scale, and is ready to offer necessary assistance," Putin said.

Australian, New Zealand Offers Help

AP
SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Australia is sending sympathy and an offer of help for the U-S Gulf Coast in its recovery from Hurricane Katrina.

For starters, it's sending two emergency management experts who advised Indonesian officials in the aftermath of last year's
tsunami disaster. Prime Minister John Howard, in a personal message to President Bush, expresses what he says is the concern of all Australians for those who've lost so much because of "terrible natural disaster."

Prime Minister Helen Clark of New Zealand has also sent condolences and notes her country's willingness to help. She says the harm the storm has caused so many people is shocking.

The list is much much Bigger than this .........Virtually the whole International community offers help, prayers ......

Associated Press

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia - For Nimal Premasiri, televised images of water surging into New Orleans triggered painful memories. He lost his wife and daughter just eight months ago when waves "big as elephants" crashed into a packed commuter train in Sri Lanka.

"God has made us equals in birth, life and death," Premasiri, 51, said Wednesday.

Though the Dec. 26 earthquake and tsunami was far more deadly than the disaster caused by Hurricane Katrina, many in Asian nations hardest hit by the killer waves — from Indonesia to Thailand and Sri Lanka — felt acute sympathy with Katrina's victims.

The hurricane flooded large parts of New Orleans and several other areas along the Gulf Coast, killing hundreds. Two levees also broke in New Orleans, spilling water into the streets and swamping the below-sea-level city.

Raju Danny, 26, who lost his wife to raging tsunami torrents in Indonesia, said he "felt tears welling up when I saw that so many people had died."

"I would like to help, but all I have is my prayers," the waiter said during a break from serving rice and fried chicken to customers in the seaside town of Banda Aceh.

More than 200,000 people were killed or missing after the tsunami, inspiring a massive international emergency response and a huge worldwide fund-raising drive.

People in Indonesia's Aceh province, which lost a staggering 130,000 people, recalled in particular the massive humanitarian effort undertaken by the U.S. military following the disaster.

Within days, U.S. choppers were dropping off water and emergency supplies to stranded villagers and collecting injured survivors.

"America helped us a lot, and they were genuine too," said Reza Saputra, a 19-year-old student. "One of their helicopters even crashed here."

In Sri Lanka, where the tsunami killed 31,000 and left tens of thousands homeless, several people also said pictures of the devastation caused by Katrina brought back vivid memories.

"When I see the images from Katrina, I can easily identify," said Chulie de Silva, a
World Bank executive who lost her brother in the tsunami. "We were just (like) them on Dec. 26. At least they had warning; we had none."

"The lives of men, women, children were snuffed out in a few seconds," she said, recalling the look of agony on people's faces as the waves swept them away, and later, the stench of death.

"My brother lay on his back, no shirt, his handsome face peaceful," she said. "I pray and hope not many sisters" in the United States will suffer in the same way.

Many in India, where some 10,700 people died, also felt the pain caused by events unfolding a half a world away, said Barry Mackey, regional program manager in New Delhi for Habitat for Humanity, an international housing charity based in Americus, Ga.

"The people here are definitely watching news of Katrina, and since they had to respond to the tsunami just last year, they do sympathize with Katrina's victims," he said, predicting their sorrow would only magnify as the real death toll emerged.

But he said he did not think the disaster would mean a loss of promised funds for tsunami reconstruction in the island nation.

"We have loyal donors and the program will not suffer," he said.

Thailand saw some 7,000 dead or missing, including many foreign vacationers.

Yowalak Thiarachow, the country's program manager for the British humanitarian agency Oxfam, said relief workers and residents "saw the pictures of people being evacuated (in New Orleans) and we couldn't believe our eyes."

Though many here see the United States as more advanced, the devastation in New Orleans "shows Thai people and Americans are in the same boat," she said.

Still, Thiarachow noted, U.S. authorities are more capable when it comes to providing emergency assistance, so many victims will get needed help.

Prattana Nuntaratpun, who works for a Thai TV station, she had not heard of any of the station's viewers calling in to donate or write letters to people affected by Katrina.

"Thai people wouldn't react that way. It's too far from us," she said. "People probably aren't thinking as far as Katrina," she said.

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Hi,

Source:BBC News

US troops, armed with a shoot-to-kill policy, are being sent to New Orleans to quell growing lawlessness, four days after Hurricane Katrina hit.

Anarchy has spread through the city, where thousands of people are stranded with no food or water, in increasing desperation and fear.

Thousands have been evacuated, many to Houston, but many others remain.

President Bush, who is to visit the disaster zone, has requested $10.5bn (£5.7bn) emergency funds from Congress.

Congress is expected to approve the aid - described by the White House as a "stopgap measure" - quickly, in order to fund rescue and relief efforts in coming weeks.

'Locked and loaded'

Announcing the deployment of 300 "battle-tested" National Guardsmen to New Orleans from Iraq, Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco said the men were carrying deadly weapons and were ready to use them.

Flood victims walk the street in front of the Convention Center in New Orleans, 1 September
People were raped in the Superdome. People were killed in there. We had multiple riots
New Orleans police officer

Accounts of flood chaos

"They have M-16s and are locked and loaded. These troops know how to shoot and kill and I expect they will."

The deployment came as the thousands stranded in New Orleans endured another hot, fearful night.

People made homeless by the flooding have grown increasingly desperate, with outbreaks of shootings, carjackings and thefts.

Horrific reports have emerged from the Louisiana Superdome, where up to 20,000 people have been corralled, mainly without power and sanitation, since Hurricane Katrina struck.

"People were raped in there. People were killed in there. We had multiple riots," one police officer told the AFP news agency.

Map of central New Orleans

Desperate survivors awaited evacuation from the crippled city, while emergency supplies of food and water remained in short supply.

Corpses were said to be rotting in the streets or floating through the floodwaters.

Hundreds or even thousands of people are feared to have drowned in New Orleans, most of which is under water. In Mississippi, 110 people are confirmed dead, but officials warn the toll is expected to rise.

Earlier, President Bush used an appeal launch to speak of an agonising time for the people in New Orleans but he promised help was on its way.

Congressional House Speaker Dennis Hastert angered Governor Blanco by questioning the wisdom of spending billions of dollars rebuilding New Orleans below sea level.

"To kick us when we're down and destroy hope... is absolutely unthinkable," Ms Blanco replied.

Evacuation efforts in New Orleans

In pictures

Shots fired

According to the White House, about 90,000 sq miles (234,000 sq km) has been affected by the hurricane - an area roughly the size of the UK.

On Thursday, medical evacuations from New Orleans' Superdome stadium were disrupted after reports that a gun shot was fired at a rescue helicopter. Similar reports have come from the city's hospitals.

The situation at the city's convention centre, where many sought refuge, was also reported to be increasingly desperate.

"Right now we are out of resources at the convention centre and don't anticipate enough buses," New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said in a statement read out by CNN.

"Currently the convention centre is unsanitary and unsafe and we are running out of supplies for 15,000 to 25,000 people."

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said more national guards units were being sent to New Orleans in the next few days - more than quadrupling the 2,800 already there.

There are rescue workers risking their lives to save people trapped in their homes, and now these heroes and the survivors are in danger from armed looters
Jessica Marrero
New Orleans

The mayor has ordered a total evacuation and warned it will be months before people can return to their homes.

More than a million people fled before the hurricane arrived on Monday, but at least 100,000 were unwilling or unable to leave.

Bus-loads of people have been arriving at Houston's Astrodome stadium in Texas, 560km (350 miles) away, where beds and blankets for up to 25,000 people have been set up.

Some of the most vulnerable are being airlifted to the Louisiana state capital, Baton Rouge.

In Mississippi, curfews are in place in the hard-hit towns of Biloxi and Gulfport as the authorities try to prevent the scale of looting seen in New Orleans.

PEace
-=SF_13=-

Russia is donating? In recent times russia is shown to be out of the G8 countries one of the main arms spenders whilst donating absolutely nothing to world aid. Whats made them want to help here?

Hi,

Am i getting out of my MInd or are we loosing Posts ........... i am Damm sure there were at least 3 More Posts in this thread including 2 Mine :shock: :shock:

Where did they go ............ ?

SourceFOX News

Rice: All Foreign Aid Offers Will Be Accepted

WASHINGTON — In a turnabout, the United States is now on the receiving end of help from around the world as some two dozen countries offer post-hurricane assistance.

Venezuela, a target of frequent criticism by the Bush administration, offered humanitarian aid and fuel. Venezuela's Citgo Petroleum Corp. (search) pledged a $1 million donation for hurricane aid.

The United Nations informed U.S. Ambassador John R. Bolton (search) it was prepared to support the relief effort "in any way possible." Under Secretary-General Jan Egeland (search) said his office had offered the services of the U.N.'s disaster assistance and coordination teams to the U.S. Agency for International Development.

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon (search) sent a letter to President Bush offering hundreds of doctors, nurses, technicians and other experts in trauma, natural disasters and public health.

"We also offer field hospitals, medical kits and equipment for temporary housing, reinforcement for hospitals, or any assistance that you may require," Sharon wrote.

He said the teams and equipment could be ready in 24 hours.

With offers from the four corners of the globe pouring in, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (search) has decided "no offer that can help alleviate the suffering of the people in the afflicted area will be refused," State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Thursday.

However, in Moscow, a Russian official said the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency had rejected a Russian offer to dispatch rescue teams and other aid.

On Tuesday, President Vladimir Putin sent condolences to Bush and said Russia was prepared to help if asked.

Boats, aircraft, tents, blankets, generators, cash assistance and medical teams have been offered to the U.S. government in Washington or in embassies overseas.

Offers have been received from Russia, Japan, Canada, France, Honduras, Germany, Venezuela, Jamaica, Australia, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, Hungary, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, China, South Korea, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, NATO and the Organization of American States, the spokesman said.

Also, the Singapore embassy said the Southeast Asian country was sending three Chinook helicopters with 38 air force personnel from military exercises in Texas, to Louisiana to support relief efforts by the Texas National Guard.

President Chandrika Bandaranaike of Sri Lanka, in China on a state visit, sent messages of sympathy to Washington while her government contributed $25,000 through the American Red Cross.

Still, Bush told ABC-TV: "I'm not expecting much from foreign nations because we hadn't asked for it. I do expect a lot of sympathy and perhaps some will send cash dollars. But this country's going to rise up and take care of it."

"You know," he said, "we would love help, but we're going to take care of our own business as well, and there's no doubt in my mind we'll succeed. And there's no doubt in my mind, as I sit here talking to you, that New Orleans is going to rise up again as a great city."

Historically, the United States provides assistance to other countries experiencing earthquakes, floods and other disasters.

Germany, which was rebuilt after World War II largely by the U.S. Marshall Plan, offered its help in a telephone call to Rice.

"The German Government is prepared to do all that is humanly possible," the German embassy said. In his call, German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer assured Rice of Germany's solidarity with its American friends in a difficult time, the embassy said.

Israeli Ambassador Daniel Ayalon called Wednesday at the State Department to offer condolences and assistance. Israel is the largest recipient of U.S. aid, about $2.2 billion a year.

"The hearts and prayers of Israel's people are with the people of the United States and the many millions who are suffering in the regional devastation resulting from hurricane Katrina," the Israeli embassy said in a statement.

babyboy4u363 said:
Russia is donating? In recent times russia is shown to be out of the G8 countries one of the main arms spenders whilst donating absolutely nothing to world aid. Whats made them want to help here?

Russia has been a Leading Donor among the G-8 Countries ........ the Actual Amount Dosen't seem big but if you compare it in Comparision to their GDP it pretty Big .......... In 2002-2003 Russia was the Top Donor Country Among G-8 .

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Hi,

Thank god I though i was loosing my Mind Because since past 2 - 3 days i was noticeing My post were getign lost :? .

Ahha but i am not : Server Problems the last couple of days...

Some Pictures of the Tragedy :

r57053_155924.jpg

r57240_156509.jpg

r56841_155298.jpg

r56858_155352.jpg

r57056_155938.jpg

r56849_155328.jpg

r57054_155930.jpg

r57058_155946.jpg

00000.jpg

000000.jpg

00.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

19.jpg

24.jpg

33.jpg

33.jpg

31.jpg

28.jpg

21.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Peace
-=SF_13=-

There's a bit of good news. An 8 mile long convoy of relief vehicles, with air boats and power boats (being towed), fire trucks from as far away as Los Angeles, and police vehicles from many states has reached New Orleans. All residents will be evacuated from the entire city.
1400 National Guard troops are arriving to reinstitute law and order and to distribute medical and food supplies. Massive aid is apparently arriving as I type.
According the the Army Corps of Engineers, the levies are being repaired from the air with massive sand bags being dropped from helicopters and other levies are being opened up to drain water with gravity. As soon as the levies are closed, the huge pumps will be re-energized and the rest of the water pumped out of the city.

Its shocking to see Americans/America in such despair, usually one gets to see such images only in developing and underdeveloped countries.

Nature still has the power to turn things upside down.

That is good news. I wonder; do you think any of those media groups that came in and out and clearly had enough fuel for themselves and food to stay healthy, did they feel a twinge of guilt for using those resources to get a story instead of help people?

8 miles long? Now thats what I call a convoy.

Note: I wrote this to immediatly follow DTop's article.

After seeing all those pictures 4 days after the event I've become enraged. We give all this money to the government, between 35% and 50% depending on who you are, and they can't even keep order in a city. I know we can sit here and say "who really saw this comming" but when the government demands that much money from you, you expect the government to DO IT'S JOB. Not leave people die infront of the superdome.

$10.5 billion downpayment approved

WASHINGTON _ - Congress moved Friday to send a $10.5 billion down payment for immediate rescue and relief efforts for victims of Hurricane Katrina's sweep across the nation's Gulf coast, amid complaints that the government's response has been inadequate.

The House convened early in the afternoon to pass the emergency package after the Senate approved it Thursday night. President Bush was expected to sign it later Friday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050902/ap_on_go_pr_wh/katrina_washington_15

Whispering Death said:
After seeing all those pictures 4 days after the event I've become enraged. We give all this money to the government, between 35% and 50% depending on who you are, and they can't even keep order in a city. I know we can sit here and say "who really saw this comming" but when the government demands that much money from you, you expect the government to DO IT'S JOB. Not leave people die infront of the superdome.

With all due respect; kindly hold your tongue.

I dont see ANYONE leaving people to die ANYWHERE. Things take time. Unfortunatly, time is what some of those people do not have. It is not that the government chose to ignore their need, just that in order to help them, they actually must GET to them. What about those cops in the street???? They are in as bad shape as everyone else, and they are hanging by a thread. Between trying to help and protect, they are exhausted. Not to mention their personal concerns (family, friends, etc.) Would you preferred everyone just charge in and say 'Im here to help'? These people dont need anyone to say anything, they need food, water, essentials of living. All of which must be assembled, organized and sent in.

Its just like an organized counterattack. It takes time to analyze, prepare, and actually commit that plan to action. And this time, unfortunatly, sometimes costs lives.

Probably the only thing that would keep order right now is a standing army in New Orleans. Thats is why the National Guard has been mobilized.

Rescue and relief effort images

4918627_120X90.jpg
Relief Convoy

4914170_120X90.jpg
Coast Guard rescue chopper

4918742.jpg
FEMA K9 Rescue team

4918745.jpg
7,500 National Gurdsmen on the ground

4918749.jpg
The American Red Cross is helping 50,000 people in shelters.

Whispering Death said:

Tad pompous there aren't we? Things called logistics, consolodation of resources, and time are needed.

Was the ball dropped in some areas? Probably. But thats 20/20 hindsight now.

FWIW. My NG unit was mobilized today for duty in New Orleans and any other area deemed necessary. So I'll be boots on the ground (or in the water) with in the next 24 hours.

So thanks for the tax dollars and I'll do my best to keep you from being enraged 'kay ;)

Come now 03, I'm not down on the troops or the cops or the rescue workers. If anything this shows the rest of the US why I take every oprotunity to kiss my soldiers and cops asses. If they wern't there doing their job our lives would be what New Orleans is now.

What I'm saying is I'm surprised and disgusted at how feble the efforts have been in the last 4 days. You've got 80 cops sent in to quiet a mob of 15,000 in the convention center where assaults and rapes are taking place. 80 cops vs 15,000 man mob, you're kidding me? I'm thankful that none of the cops where killed when they got overrun.

What bothers me is the same government (mostly I'm talking federal gov't) that spends months arguing over court nominees and promising huge drug bennefits to the elderly can't even keep its citizens safe and get them water. And this is just a hurricaine. A bad hurricaine to be sure, but we have lots of hurricaines a year, we know what a hurricaine does and we can see them comming. What happens when the dirty bombs start going off in our cities? New Orleans is a cakewalk compared to a WMD terrorist attack. That's what is so incredibly telling about this SNAFU. It's showing me and the other 300 million Americans that our gov't can not even keep us safe.

So good luck and godspeed to our troops and cops because the guys at the top certainly arn't helping you out any.

Back