About Hurricane Katrina

^^^^ er... two of those photos are of chinese (???) military forces. erm, whats your point?

earlier someone was talking about hero's....this guy is at the top of my list:

18-year-old "pirates" a school bus, rescues 100 from NOLA

nola-gibson.jpg

Hero or felon?

Eighteen-year-old Jabbor Gibson jumped aboard the bus as it sat abandoned on a street in New Orleans and took control. "I just took the bus and drove all the way here...seven hours straight,' Gibson admitted. "I hadn't ever drove a bus."
The teen packed it full of complete strangers and drove to Houston. He beat thousands of evacuees slated to arrive there. Authorities eventually allowed the renegade passengers inside the dome. But the 18-year-old who ensured their safety could find himself in a world of trouble for stealing the school bus.

"I dont care if I get blamed for it," Gibson said, "as long as I saved my people."

http://www.newschannel5.tv/2005/9/1/4255/Taking-refuge-in-the-Astrodome

Most of the people are out now but the water is still too deep in some places to search for survivors and dead. We have taken about 200,000 of the survivors into Texas and are trying to work out deals with the Universities across the state to let LSU students keep their classes going. My heart breaks for the little guys who have to try to assimilate at such a young age but I feel sure that from K-12, they will be placed near good schools. I knew these people had big hearts but I've never seen such quick reaction by Cities and communities to find homes, some permanent, and keep families together. So many here have taken this weekend holiday to go down and help to bring people back to the Dallas/Ft worth area. Just when your faith in mankind seems to be flagging, they surprise you.

Some meteorologists said that the greenhouse effect CONTRIBUTE a little to this hurricane. I've seen the movie, The Day After Tommorrow, and some predictions of this film is so alike with this disaster.

Maybe some measures should be taken to prevent the Global Weather from deteriorating.

Archit said:
Some meteorologists said that the greenhouse effect CONTRIBUTE a little to this hurricane. I've seen the movie, The Day After Tommorrow, and some predictions of this film is so alike with this disaster.

Maybe some measures should be taken to prevent the Global Weather from deteriorating.

Once again I'll repeat myself.

Obviously we've never had hurrcaines ever before and now JUST THIS YEAR they are popping up and killing by the millions. I didn't even know what a hurricaine was before last week!

Please.

We've had natural disasters since the beginning of time and we'll continue to have them whether the world gets 1 degree hotter every 100 years or not.

if we look at how rich and advanced U.S is, it is still a bit shocking to see Americans die by thousands in this natural disaster.

How rich and advanced many countries are yet they still die by the thousands across the world for various reasons.
You need to look back at the amount of warning they all had. They had at least 48 hours if I recall correctly.

Granted many could not leave. But I would hazard a guess that at least 30% of those that are there, stayed of their own free will rather than that they could not leave.

The "Kartrina" disaster is different from the Tsunami last year. People here have like 2-3 days warning ahead. The government could have just forcefully evacuate them all.

Moreover, after "Katrina", why the troops didn't enter many areas to rescue the victims (the troops say those areas are dangerous although many reporters and other rescue orgnizations all went in there already).

Ahh but see, where you say the government should have forcefully evacuated people, then you would have people crying that their civil rights had been violated etc etc.

As for troops entering this or that area, once again that is up to the command and not the troops themselves.

Why are they dangerous do you think? Is it due to the possibility of fire and disease? Perhaps it is due to armed civilians? If you have military troops defend themselves against a civilian, who is going to scream louder if someone gets hurt? The civilian or the military? Who is going to get the finger pointed at them? The military or the civilian?

Unless you are there and can see for yourself, you are only seeing what is being presented to you. You can base your opinion on someone else's opinion and observations if you like. I think that is akin to letting someone else do your thinking for you.

EDIT: On a side note. I see alot of people keep saying "the government". Are you speaking of the city, county, state or federal government? There is a large distinction over who can do what and when they can do it. For instance a state trooper can not be inside city limits and pull someone over for speeding (at least so I was told).

good point up there..

but dont you think there must be someone's fault that many victims starve for up to 5 days?

and by the way, the police just killed 5 people who opened fire on the rebuilders.

WARmachine88 said:
good point up there..

but dont you think there must be someone's fault that many victims starve for up to 5 days?

and by the way, the police just killed 5 people who opened fire on the rebuilders.

If you are looking to blame anyone then blame the person that created the hurricane. Or blame the people that did not make allowances for the levees. Better yet let's go back to the city planners for allowing a good poriton of the city to be built below sea level. Or we can even go farther back and blame the founders of the city for not having more foresight in where they built the city to begin with. Extreme? Yes. That is just as extreme as trying to make one group of people take responsibility for another group of people's actions or lack of.

The fact that many of the people starved for days remains, and my sympathy goes out to them. Placing the blame on any one person or group of people and placing no blame at all on the people suffering is ludicrous in my opinion. They knew a hurricane was coming and yet it seems that many of them made no prepatory efforts to survive afterwards. No one knew it would be this bad, so how can you place blame on anyone?

And good on the police for opening fire. I hope they kill or at the very least remove all the people that are making things difficult and/or hazardous for those that are trying to help and those that are just trying to survive.

Still, I think the government in all levels should learn lesson from "Katrina". Maybe U.S should take care of its own people first before thinking of making the rest of the world a better place.

The images of victims in U.S today are no different from the poorest country on earth. Some victims are actually wondering are they really in U.S now.

WARmachine88 said:
Still, I think the government in all levels should learn lesson from "Katrina". Maybe U.S should take care of its own people first before thinking of making the rest of the world a better place.

The images of victims in U.S today are no different from the poorest country on earth. Some victims are actually wondering are they really in U.S now.

I agree that the US needs to take care of it's own.

Think of it this way if you will please. If the US withdrew the monies and other "benefits" let us say, from the various countries, then I think the world as a whole would not be a better place.

I am not up to speed on what money and help we give other countries around the world. Let's say we withdraw support and became a bit more isolated. Tell me how many countries' economies would take a huge blow because of the financial lending and support we give them suddenly ceased?

Yes I know it is a huge rambling, broadsweeping statement based on no actual data. Just something that has been rolling around in my head for awhile based on various comments I have heard in the past.

I dont mean that helping other nations is bad, but at least U.S should take care of itself first.

I dont see how waging a war in Iraq benifit the Katrina victims in anyways, but I am sure if there is no war in Iraq, U.S government can have at least more money to help to rebuild rather than asking the rest of the world to help (and U.S is like the richest nation in the world).

WARmachine88 said:
I dont mean that helping other nations is bad, but at least U.S should take care of itself first.

I dont see how waging a war in Iraq benifit the Katrina victims in anyways, but I am sure if there is no war in Iraq, U.S government can have at least more money to help to rebuild rather than asking the rest of the world to help (and U.S is like the richest nation in the world).

Umm...the war started a few years ago and Katrina came thru a few days ago. Your analogy is a bit off friend.

Even if there was no war on, the timeline of the government being able to do anything would probably be the same.

As far as rebuilding..let's get people safe and let the waters recede. One step at a time.

If I recall correctly, we have yet to ask anyone to help us. It has been offered but we have not asked.

not trying to be rude or offend anyone....but....is anyone else sick of everyone bringing up the war in iraq and saying we should be here taking care of the hurricane mess? :drill:

Back