Abortion Discussion

Is Abortion Murder?

• Total voters
I have to ask another question of this issue.....

What do you all think of the morning after pill??

The morning after pill, keep in mind, does not abort a baby once a baby is conceived... Rather, what it does, is prevent a pregnancy in the case of unprotected sex. And you have to get a prescription for it in order to take it, and you must take it withing 72 hours.....

What do you all think of this??

I myself have taken the morning after pill only once. I won't go into the circumstances, but I am glad it was available..... It is not something I would use all the time, however....... Birth Control (during sex) is what I choose.

What is so complicated about the "seperation of church and state"?

It's a theological view, therefore it has no place in law.

My religious beliefs are very important to me, but I would sooner die then see them legislated on people.

Mod Edit: 6-23-2004 This post has been edited at the request of the original posting member. PM the member for details.

Sgt. Nick Fury said:

Guess what?? The laws of this country were based on theology (at least western religion)

Where do you think "No murder" and other such laws come from???

As for the opinion that some people have that abortions should be illegal, if that were to happen, we'd go back to the time when women were sticking knitting needles inside themselves to try and abort the baby on their own. You'd probably have alot more deaths that way, because the mother would die then too. Women will continue to get abortions whether they are legal or not. Only when they are illegal, the woman usually dies also.

Mod Edit 6-23-2004: At the request of the member, the post has been edited to remove content. Please PM the original posting member for details.

Abortion is definitely wrong. If you don't want a baby, don't go on a friggin screwfest!
... and now that I've read on the thing, just hope to God that a baby doesn't come out of it. And try to find the sonofabitch who fathered it and make him take care of his child.

ItalianGuy4US said:
I also realized that... like, when I hear people saying abortion makes it easy for women to light-heartedly do such a thing ( and it is a bad thing ) , well I say if a woman does such a thing light-heartedly, then she'd better do it. She would be a bad mother, most likely.
My point exactly.

ItalianGuy4US said:
I'm sorry if I've been someway boring, I just thought I could bring out my personal experience for the benefit of the conversation.
Not at all, thanks for sharing.

All I can do is look at the first original question: Is abortion murder?

http://resurgence.home.att.net/L-abortion.htm

this is one essay written to support the idea that abortion is not murder. I will warn some that view this link: the essay is written and viewed entirely on the legal aspects of murder. You might not like the example used to define legal.

the main summary states: Murder is defined as "illegal killing with malice aforethought." Abortion fails this definition for two reasons. First, abortion is not illegal, and second, there is no evidence to suggest that expecting mothers feel malice towards their own flesh and blood.

I personally don't see abortion as murder. What i personally do see abortion as is a tool: just another way out of a situation not wanted.

Fortunately for my peace of mind, the tools i've chosen in my situations have never involved abortion. :D

Marksman said:
What "unpleasant effect" are you talking about
anomalies on child..........not really often but can happen
Do you mean to say that the chances of an anomaly are greater if the child was conceived with help of a sperm lab? I didn't know about that. Do you have a source for that?

Mark Conley said:
All I can do is look at the first original question: Is abortion murder?

http://resurgence.home.att.net/L-abortion.htm

this is one essay written to support the idea that abortion is not murder. I will warn some that view this link: the essay is written and viewed entirely on the legal aspects of murder. You might not like the example used to define legal.
I think this is a good essay on the subject, and I can't find arguments against it for now. I do see why you warn us about the example, but I think it's a good one and the author was very careful not to say anything offending.
Mark Conley said:
Fortunately for my peace of mind, the tools i've chosen in my situations have never involved abortion. :D
I think "fortunately" is the correct word, and that kind off proves that people that think abortion is not murder, don't go around and use that method as single way of birth control.

mvilla2426 said:
Sgt. Nick Fury said:

Guess what?? The laws of this country were based on theology (at least western religion)

Where do you think "No murder" and other such laws come from???

I don't want to go on a whole new topic here, but the laws of our country were based on the philosophy of "natural law" more then any religion. It is no problem to find pages upon pages of of quotes from many of our most prominant founding fathers on their ill view of mixing church and state. For that matter while the majority of our founding fathers had firm beliefs in God, a great number of the ones at the constitutional convention were Deists and Unitarians. They believed in God, but were not big fans of demagogues that pushed dogma down people's throats as something that you were not allowed to question or disagree with. A great majority of those that actually formed our government questioned everything, and certainly didn't consider any religious text beyond scrutiny.

As for murder....I beleive murder has been illegal in every civilization in every time in man's history. Granted at times only illegal for certain segments of society while the elite did as they pleased...but even then it was illegal for the elite to kill the elite with out provication. I do not think there is any religion that can claim to have invented the idea that murder is wrong. If such a religion ever existed as the first founder of the idea of murder, then like an original idea it got away before someone could shoot it stuff it, and put it in a museum.

That said, many many many civilizations have practiced many different forms of abortion, and the fact that we are even devided on this subject today shows that it is not a topic that is so easily painted black and white like the subject of murder.

If it were my own child I would not at all want to have an abortion, I would very much want us to keep it. That said I think that should be up to me and my wife, and the governemnt, and nosey self righteous zealots can keep their nose the hell out of our family affairs.

This is such a huge topic, i chose other opinions, i do think abortion is wrong by all means, i don't believe in "accidents" you either protect yourself properly or deal with the outcome don't just get rid of it, my friend here at work (as well as her husband) carry the krabbe gene, this is a very serious diease which usually always causes death in infants after 1 year of age, she is now pregnant with a baby boy who is 100% healthy, if she took the tests and her child had the disease i know she would choose abortion because she watched her last baby die in front of her for several months, i wouldn't wish that upon anyone, not even my worst enemy, it's a hard subject for me because i'm a mommy of a happy healthy 15 month old little girl and she means the world to me, it really upsets me that someone could use abortion as a method of birth control, i do consider it murder if that fetus is 100% healthy, if it has a disease which it would not survive or be seriously sick for life then i don't consider it murder. this is all my opinion.

GUNNER

I am for abortion! Simply because if someone raped a girl, and she don't wanna have that child! If his/her father is an idiot, sadist, maniac etc. and the genes get on the baby! Now that's not very pleasent..... Also other reasons.........

I haven't met a single person who have used abortion as a borth control. :shock:

I am more talking about other situations.

Rape, Diseases, Financial Problem, Psycholigal Problems, etc.

SilverPhoenix said:
I haven't met a single person who have used abortion as a borth control. :shock:

I am more talking about other situations.

Rape, Diseases, Financial Problem, Psycholigal Problems, etc.

I've met a few people who have "accidently" gotten pregnant and had an abortion because they didn't want a baby to me that is defined birth control. And i don't believe abortion is murder when a fetus has a disease and wouldn't otherwise survive or would suffer a horrible life, i'm not too sure about rape, the woman could still give the child for adoption.

GUNNER

GUNNER said:
[ i'm not too sure about rape, the woman could still give the child for adoption.

speaking as someone who has suffered through a rape.... If it had impregnated me I'm not sure if I could have carried the child to term. Yes, the woman COULD give the child up for adoption....... But she's gotta carry that baby for nine months....... Theres alot of psychology involved there, ya know??

nulli secundus said:
according to the law it isnt murder due to the case that it hasnt been born yet. So you cant kill what hasnt lived yet.

if it has a heartbeat it's very much alive (my opinion)

GUNNER

mvilla2426 said:
GUNNER said:
[ i'm not too sure about rape, the woman could still give the child for adoption.

speaking as someone who has suffered through a rape.... If it had impregnated me I'm not sure if I could have carried the child to term. Yes, the woman COULD give the child up for adoption....... But she's gotta carry that baby for nine months....... Theres alot of psychology involved there, ya know??

yea i know, i've never suffered a rape, but of course it would be hard to go through with it. This is a hard topic especially if you've never been pregnant and have children, pregnancy is wonderful and babies are just miracles sent from god (now i sound like god sheesh) but until i had a baby really i thought a woman had a right to do whatever but now that i've been through pregnancy and watch my daughter playing and get hugs and kisses from her i just think it's wrong unless there is a medical reason for it. I thank god everyday for giving a beautiful, healthy baby.

GUNNER

GUNNER said:
mvilla2426 said:
GUNNER said:

speaking as someone who has suffered through a rape.... If it had impregnated me I'm not sure if I could have carried the child to term. Yes, the woman COULD give the child up for adoption....... But she's gotta carry that baby for nine months....... Theres a lot of psychology involved there, ya know??

yea i know, i've never suffered a rape, but of course it would be hard to go through with it. This is a hard topic especially if you've never been pregnant and have children, pregnancy is wonderful and babies are just miracles sent from god (now i sound like god sheesh) but until i had a baby really i thought a woman had a right to do whatever but now that i've been through pregnancy and watch my daughter playing and get hugs and kisses from her i just think it's wrong unless there is a medical reason for it. I thank god everyday for giving a beautiful, healthy baby.
I think we all agree that we don't want to abort your daughter, Gunner... ;) I think you look at this to much from the wrong perspective.

And giving children up for adoption is something so hard on the mother and the children, that you should never do that lightly. That should only be considered if there's no other way. I know there's lot's of people out there doing the best they can for children who are up for adoption or adopted, but those children are often pretty traumatized for the rest of their lives.

as for the "Heartbeat = life" phrase, I'm not a vegetarian, so I actually eat things that had a heartbeat once. The thing that sets us apart from (other) animals isn't the heartbeat, it's the cognitive processes. And I think that sometimes people should consider that it's possible that those cognitive processes are better off not ever initiated than protected and burdened with trauma's and questions for the rest of their lives.

As for giving a child from a rape up for adoption, no, that's cruel and unusual punishment for someone that didn't do anything wrong in the first place; the mother. Not only does she have to deal with the rape (many women never fully recover) but now she has to be reminded of this for nine months, and then she can wonder for the rest of her life if the thing that made her attacker rape her, will make her son do the same thing to someone else.

I think that abortion should be the mother's free choice, with some rights for the father too btw, and that it's not fair if people that haven't been in a situation that left them not much of a choice, decide that it's "wrong".

o.k. i'm not saying i'm against abortion, i wouldn't shun someone for aborting a rape baby, it's only my opinion that unless it's a medical reason abortion shouldn't be used, to me once the fetus has a heartbeat it has as much a right to live as you and i that's all i'm saying, end of discussion.

GUNNER

Back