ABC News: Did Russian Ambassador Give Saddam the U.S. War Plan?

Venom PL

March 23, 2006 — Following are the ABC News Investigative Unit's summaries of seven documents from Saddam Hussein's government, which the U.S. government has released.
The documents discuss Osama bin Laden, weapons of mass destruction, al Qaeda and more.
The full documents can be found on the U.S. Army Foreign Military Studies Office Web site: http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/products-docex.htm.
Note: Document titles were added by ABC News.

"U.S. War Plan Leaked to Iraqis by Russian Ambassador"

Two Iraqi documents from March 2003 — on the eve of the U.S.-led invasion — and addressed to the secretary of Saddam Hussein, describe details of a U.S. plan for war. According to the documents, the plan was disclosed to the Iraqis by the Russian ambassador.
Document written sometime before March 5, 2003
The first document (CMPC-2003-001950) is a handwritten account of a meeting with the Russian ambassador that details his description of the composition, size, location and type of U.S. military forces arrayed in the Gulf and Jordan. The document includes the exact numbers of tanks, armored vehicles, different types of aircraft, missiles, helicopters, aircraft carriers, and other forces, and also includes their exact locations. The ambassador also described the positions of two Special Forces units.

Full article - http://abcnews.go.com/International/IraqCoverage/story?id=1734490&page=1

I dont know but I remember the Russians gave Saddam a top secret air defence system during the OIF which was later destroyed by US war planes in March 2003

Was this really that shocking?

I thought I recalled news stories just prior to the start of the assault that stated former Russian generals were helping Saddam prepare his defenses.

I found this especially interesting:

(Editor's Note: The Russian ambassador in March 2003 was Vladimir Teterenko. Teterenko appears in documents released by the Volker Commission, which investigated the Oil for Food scandal, as receiving allocations of 3 million barrels of oil — worth roughly $1.5 million. )

Rabs said:
Putins more of a fascist than a commie.

I don't agree with that. He is neither a communist nor a fascist.

He just doesn't see the US as a friend and tries to reach his goals by aiding to the US enemies.

Most Russians feel the same. however, it is topic too big to discuss it in this thread, IMO.

On the subject, I have read in the book authored by Gen. Tommy Franks and he said in this book that they have used a lot of disinformation techniques to fool the Iraqis.
It included the feeding the false info to those who definitely will share it with Saddam. The Russians got caught in this willingly.
I have read their predictions before the invasions in Afghanistan and Iraq...
I believe, the American analysts have read them, too and have fed the Russians with the data supporting their predictions.
A few american officers in the Middle East were approached by the Iraqi and other intelligence services. They were told to cooperate...

boris116 said:
I don't agree with that. He is neither a communist nor a fascist.

He just doesn't see the US as a friend and tries to reach his goals by aiding to the US enemies.
That's perfectly understandable. His job is to look our for Russia's interest, like every head of state.

It doesn't explain the crackdown on domestic dissent, though.

Airborne Eagle said:
That's perfectly understandable. His job is to look our for Russia's interest, like every head of state.

It doesn't explain the crackdown on domestic dissent, though.

I would say, it is all in line - basically, all Russian foreign policy is the result of their internal policy.
They, basically, do not care what the world thinks about Russia.
Moreover, the Russian elite is interested in promoting some "national idea" that will unite the population around them and makes the governing easier.
The very good approach is to pretend like they are under the siege, surrounded by the mighty enemies.

Now it is much easier to condemn anyone who supports the authorities as Western spies and collaborators

phoenix80 said:
He is an ex KGB agent... He sure is not good

Why does it matter?
Bush Senior has been a CIA director, so what?

And who was Ronald Reagan?

It goes much deeper than that...
The best analogy - Germany after WWI...

boris116 said:
I would say, it is all in line - basically, all Russian foreign policy is the result of their internal policy.
They, basically, do not care what the world thinks about Russia.
Moreover, the Russian elite is interested in promoting some "national idea" that will unite the population around them and makes the governing easier.
The very good approach is to pretend like they are under the siege, surrounded by the mighty enemies.

Now it is much easier to condemn anyone who supports the authorities as Western spies and collaborators
Thanks.

Back