ABC and NBC wont run Anti-Obamacare Ad

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Just in case you haven't had your, "Oh man, we're in deep ****!" moment of the day, here's our impartial, unbiased press at work.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/278378

ABC, NBC refuse to air ad critical of Democratic health care plan
By Patrick McMahon.

ABC and NBC are refusing to air an ad from a group opposed to the Democratic healthcare reform efforts, according to the group behind the ad. The League of American voters is sponsoring the 33 second ad and is criticizing the decision.

The ad features a neurosurgeon who states that the public option in a reform plan would lead to the rationing of healthcare procedures and prescription medicines. So far CBS will run the ad and FOX is currently in talks to do so, but the national networks of ABC and NBC said no. They said that their local affiliates can run the ad, but NBC is unsure of the facts in the commercial and ABC has labeled it "partisan." The group has purchased ad time from local affiliates in Maine, Louisiana, Pennsylvania, and Arkansas.

Bob Adams, the Executive Director for the League of American Voters, said that their ad is quite powerful in influencing people. "It tells the truth and it really highlights one of the biggest vulnerabilities and problems with this proposed legislation, which is it rations health care and disproportionately will decimate the quality of health care for seniors," he says.

NBC has said that it will reconsider the ad if the points behind it are verified further, but ABC says it is their policy not to air political ads. Despite that, Adams objects to the label that the ad is partisan. "It's a position that we would argue a vast majority of Americans stand behind," he said. "Obviously, it's a message that ABC and the Obama administration haven't received yet."

This is not the first time that ABC has been in hot water with conservative groups that wish to buy ad time. Just weeks ago, opponents of the Democratic healthcare reform efforts attempted to purchase ad time during the hour long prime time special that the network gave President Obama to promote healthcare reform legislation, but were denied by ABC.

"It's the ultimate act of chutzpah because ABC is the network that turned itself over completely to Obama for a daylong propaganda fest about health care reform," said Dick Morris, former adviser to President Bill Clinton and strategist for the League of American Voters. "For them to be pious and say they will not accept advertising on health care shuts their viewers out from any possible understanding of both sides of this issue."

Yup...... Fox News is the evil biased news media... Not NBC or ABC.
smiley_thinking.gif

I don't think it's that one network is more biased than the other... I think that both parties have their networks... Conservatives have FOX, Liberals have NBC... No one party has any less guilt than the other. I'm sure FOX is working on some anti-Obamacare ads that they plan to loop all day long...

All parties involved are privately owned so they have the right to run what they want to run and what they don't want to run.
Just as you wish the government not to interfere with your life, the owners of these companies would rather have the government back off too.

Interesting anyone would defend any broadcast company that chooses to censor political ads.

1. These are the same broadcasters that go up in arms over the slightest suggestion the FCC can censor them.

2. They are private companies that profit from the sell of ad time. They refuse to sell ad space they go broke. It would be one thing to refuse to sell ad time for ads that might get them in trouble with the FCC.
I do believe it is illegal to refuse to carry political ads, or when giving "free" air time to one side they are required to give equal "free" time to the opposing side.

3. They are private companies that lease frequencies of public airwaves. The are subject to certain rules agreed to in their leases.

I would agree that these companies should be able to control what they want to broadcast (as long as they don't violate their leases), but it is funny they pretend to take the "highroad" and claim to be unbiased and condemn FOX for its biased programing. Some people might consider them to be slightly hypocritical.:)

I would like to see what reasons they give for not running the ads.

No no. He said "these companies." I would like a source where someone who represented a liberal news media network actually said anything about FOX news or any news network.

Just as conservatives attack NBC, ABC, etc. Don't try that crap. It doesn't work. Both sides are guilty.

If a organization runs an ad it believes to contain false or incorrect information it has the right to refuse to air because it can be sued along with the organization who made it for False Advertising. And since the anti-obama people is using whatever horse manure excuse to stop the bill from passing I think NBC and ABC are right to put this ad under the BS sniff test.

The question is not whether the broadcaster is bias, its whether the information the broadcaster is broadcasting is false. If it is false, then the broadcaster and the organization who made it can be legally liable. If ABC and NBC are refusing to air it, its because they are worried it wont pass mustard on the "truth" meter. This is especially true on health care where the lies and distortions have been especially thick. NBC and ABC are businesses they are not going to risk a lawsuit due to the reality deprived rantings of a ill-informed partisan group who cannot get over the fact they lost the election.

Last edited:
Who condemned FOX? Sources, please.

During an appearance on Fox News Sunday this morning, Democratic Party chairman Howard Dean said that Fox's news coverage has at times been "shockingly biased, and I think that's wrong and I just say so right up front."
Source:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/04/howard-dean-on-fox-news-s_n_100023.html

In a gloating, open letter to Roger Ailes today, Harold Meyerson, a liberal columnist for the Washington Post, thanks the president of Fox News for the network's "consistent misrepresentation of the news." In Meyerson's view, the "right-wing fantasies" peddled by Fox News are so laughable that they have rolled back conservatism.
Source:
http://www.usnews.com/blogs/sam-dea...ss:sam-dealey:fox-news-and-media-bias#1299813

The campaigns of U.S. Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama and former Sen. John Edwards had said they would not participate in the debate. Opponents have criticized Fox as biased against Democrats.
As reported on CBS.
Source:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/08/23/politics/main3198082.shtml

You can also enter "fox news biased reporting" and spend the better part of the rest of your life reading about Fox News biased reporting.:roll:
No no. He said "these companies." I would like a source where someone who represented a liberal news media network actually said anything about FOX news or any news network.

Just as conservatives attack NBC, ABC, etc. Don't try that crap. It doesn't work. Both sides are guilty.

I have supplied sources. I do not need to limit my sources to Liberal sites as I did not say that.

Now you can supply sources to support your statement: Just as conservatives attack NBC, ABC, etc.

Last edited:
I'm actually not for or against this at this point becuase I don't know what's on that advertisement but I am sort of playing the devil's advocate in that an argument that many people here use to justify their individualism and independence from the state can also be applied to individuals or organizations that they oppose.

We also don't know what the agreement on those leases are and I don't think the News companies' legal team would make it easy to prove that they are in fact in violation of these agreements either. Before they decided to not run the advert, I'm pretty sure their legal department worked around the clock to make sure their action at least couldn't look like a blatant breach of any agreement. They may violate the spirit of the agreement but I think we know well enough to know that to practically every company on the face of this earth that doesn't mean anything. As long as their action does not violate any of these agreements, these are privately run companies and as much as you'd like the government to stay out of your back yard, so do they.

The liberal media have also criticized Obama's health care reform:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32461751/ns/politics-white_house/
And I recall hearing criticism about it a few times on TV as well and like I said, I don't get FOX News here.
I don't think they're neutral though of course they'd claim to be. Even FOX News claims to be fair and balanced when they're clearly not. I think FOX News is a diversion from the norm as journalists and their breed are just seem to be inherently liberal no matter where you go. But I think the mainstream media is more balanced than say, FOX.

I too would like to see the real reasons behind not running the ads.

You can also enter "fox news biased reporting" and spend the better part of the rest of your life reading about Fox News biased reporting.:roll:

I have supplied sources. I do not need to limit my sources to Liberal sites as I did not say that.
You said these companies... Yet I do not see ONE statement coming from a representative of a MAJOR NEWS NETWORK. The closest thing you come to is a quote from the Post. You said "I would agree that these companies should be able to control what they want to broadcast (as long as they don't violate their leases), but it is funny they pretend to take the "highroad" and claim to be unbiased and condemn FOX for its biased programing. Some people might consider them to be slightly hypocritical."
Now you can supply sources to support your statement: Just as conservatives attack NBC, ABC, etc.[/QUOTE]Please tell me if you meant something other than media networks criticizing their counterparts. Example: CBS bashing FOX for being a "biased" network. You've posted no sources RELEVANT TO THE DEBATE.

http://www.echochamberproject.com/node/61

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12594.html

http://www.riehlworldview.com/carnivorous_conservative/2008/09/more-obvious-bi.html

And like you said, you can find all sorts of conservative blogs bashing any news network that isn't FOX.....

You said these companies... Yet I do not see ONE statement coming from a representative of a MAJOR NEWS NETWORK. The closest thing you come to is a quote from the Post. You said "I would agree that these companies should be able to control what they want to broadcast (as long as they don't violate their leases), but it is funny they pretend to take the "highroad" and claim to be unbiased and condemn FOX for its biased programing. Some people might consider them to be slightly hypocritical."
Now you can supply sources to support your statement: Just as conservatives attack NBC, ABC, etc.Please tell me if you meant something other than media networks criticizing their counterparts. Example: CBS bashing FOX for being a "biased" network. You've posted no sources RELEVANT TO THE DEBATE.

http://www.echochamberproject.com/node/61

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12594.html

http://www.riehlworldview.com/carnivorous_conservative/2008/09/more-obvious-bi.html

And like you said, you can find all sorts of conservative blogs bashing any news network that isn't FOX.....

You're whole post is kind of incoherent and hard to read. You let everything run together.

As far as your last sentence, I never said that at all.

If you read the 3rd source I gave and went to it you would know it was cbs.com.

Also you asked for sources of who condemned FOX, all the sources I listed condemned FOX and therefore are relevant.

He meant out of the mainstream media.
Thanks for derailing another thread.
Apparently you think US News or CBS are not mainstream media. Go back and look at the sites I used as sources you can see their names in the web addresses.

And I don't particularly care what he asked for as I supplied relevant sources.
My original statement was;

"I would agree that these companies should be able to control what they want to broadcast (as long as they don't violate their leases), but it is funny they pretend to take the "highroad" and claim to be unbiased and condemn FOX for its biased programing."

Rob's request for sources:

"Who condemned FOX? Sources, please."

Which I supplied.

If you and Rob believe I failed to follow the forum rules then report me. The real problem that you and Rob have is that I did comply.

As far as "derailing this thread", I believe that is what you are trying to do.

You're whole post is kind of incoherent and hard to read. You let everything run together.

As far as your last sentence, I never said that at all.

If you read the 3rd source I gave and went to it you would know it was cbs.com.

Also you asked for sources of who condemned FOX, all the sources I listed condemned FOX and therefore are relevant.
You said the same thing about people bashing FOX news, and so I said the same about liberal media. Because it's just as bad on BOTH SIDES OF THE COIN. Liberals bash conservative networks, and conservatives bash liberal networks. Neither side is innocent.

Chukpike, you're not understanding what I'm asking from you. You said "these companies" which was BLATANTLY referring to major news television networks, as that was the topic we were discussing. I asked you for a statement from someone representing a major news television network who said anything negative about another major news television network, and you either could not, nor would not give me the appropriate sources. You have FAILED to comply with the rules.

Semantics are a *****, aren't they?

You said these companies... Yet I do not see ONE statement coming from a representative of a MAJOR NEWS NETWORK. The closest thing you come to is a quote from the Post. You said "I would agree that these companies should be able to control what they want to broadcast (as long as they don't violate their leases), http://
NRA has said a number of times the print & broadcast media have rejected thier ads while running anti 2nd Admendment groups ads for free.

Back