9-Year-Old Delaware Boy Faces Felony Charges for Setting Kitten on Fire

AikiRooster

Tube Monkey USMC
Boy(s) ought to be given same treatment as he did the cat. Cruel, stupid and Satanic IMHO.

NEW CASTLE, Del. — Authorities have arrested a 9-year-old boy and charged him with setting a kitten on fire in Edgemoor Gardens.
New Castle County Police say officers and Delaware Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals arrested the boy Friday.
Police say he is charged with a felony count of cruelty to an animal causing death. He failed to post bail after being arraigned and is being detained at the county detention facility.
Police are still looking for more youths involved in the killing.
Authorities say the youths were seen July 10 pouring lighter fluid on the kitten in Edgemoor Gardens, then setting the kitten on fire. The kitten ran to a nearby tree, where it died.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,393102,00.html

Too bad they don't get jailed or anything for the gazillion other bad things they do. On second thought, I think they should get locked up WITH their parents.

I have a cat too, this news makes me so sad. I think it's the parents who should be blamed though.

That is horrible. It's pretty damn pathetic when you get kicks out of torturing an innocent animal that can't defend itself. Arg, it p***es me off

It depends.....about blaming the parents. Sometimes people are too quick to do so. Some kids are just little Omen's and ought to be executed.

I'd have no problem with penalizing the parents AND the kids involved. Parents for sucking at upbringing their children and the children for being so sick and actually torturing/killing the little kitten.

Parents in this country can do only so much, when I was a rugrat my Pop spanked me with his thick police belt, now adults get locked up for that. So, no, I can't blame parents so fast, would need more details to make sure they did all the parenting they were authorized to do by acceptable laws in their jurisdiction. Additonally, if this was first incident, how are the parents to know little Johnny's a monster? If they knew, and were not having him treated, thats obviously different.

Parents with good, behaving, law-obeying children are also subject to the same child-protection laws and regulations but I don't see their kids setting little kittens on fire.

Even if it's the kid's first incident, which we'd never know, there's *something* that his parents did to him or didn't do that was at least partially responsible. I know parents cannot be blemed for everything their children do but the nature of this specific event, setting a kitten on fire, sounds an awful a lot like a parental neglect.

Last edited:
Seems like a troubled kid thats for sure, but to just off the cuff to blame the parents, I'm not sure is a good idea even if later it turns out to be definitely so. May be great parents involved but little Johnny is a turd. obviously parents shouldn't be off the hook and they ought to be looked at for the things you mentioned and other things. However, sometimes kids still turn out to be turds.

The fact that parents do indeed have well behaved kids is not relevant to this set of parents and kid. Every case has individual circumstances. Frustrating, damned right but thats what we have in this society to deal with. I know what I'd like to do to the kid but even he has rights.

Make him try to set this guy on fire. :shoothea:

399px-Panthera_tigris.jpg

Oh wow, you want to execute a little kid for this? That felony's already enough; he's going to suffer the consequences his entire life unless it gets adjudicated.

I, for one, do not believe the value of a cat's life can even approach that of human life.

So I guess we should execute everyone who ever swatted a fly because who knows, they might decide to move on up to cats, dogs, and eventually human beings...

This kid has a mental problem and should be placed in a mental institution, evaluated and treated.

Yeah,.. and the parents prolly need a bloody good talking to as well.

Oh wow, you want to execute a little kid for this? That felony's already enough; he's going to suffer the consequences his entire life unless it gets adjudicated.

I, for one, do not believe the value of a cat's life can even approach that of human life.
And this is why we have some punishments that are much to little. (i.e. rape, 2-7 years, child molesters getting out after a few years).... People feel bad for them and want to give them a second chance.

A 9 year old is fully aware of what they are doing and they know right from wrong. And if indeed it is the parents blame the child turned out to be a sadistic little freak that is no excuse. The child would still be endangering other animals (and humans in the future I'm sure). The situation needs to be dealt with harshly right now and not allowed to escalate.

I 100% agree with TOG. Swatting (killing) a fly is nothing like setting a kitten on fire and torturing it, there is no common ground there at all.

Back