9/11 Kin Mixed On Possible Death Penalty For Plotters

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Long Island Newsday
February 12, 2008 By Karla Schuster
Relatives of Sept. 11 victims welcomed the Pentagon's announcement that it has charged six Guantánamo detainees in connection with the terrorist attacks, but some had mixed feelings about whether justice for their loved ones should include the death penalty.
"We need to do this based on justice to make sure it's justice that we're serving and not revenge," said Diane Horning, of Scotch Plains, N.J., president of World Trade Center Families for Proper Burial, on the Pentagon's decision to seek the death penalty. Her son, Matthew, 26, who died in the attacks, worked for Marsh & McClennan.
"I know my son opposed the death penalty, so I oppose it," she said. "It wouldn't be true to his spirit to condone that."
Military prosecutors have recommended charging all six men with conspiracy, murder in violation of the law of war, attacking civilians, attacking civilian objects, intentionally causing serious bodily injury, destruction of property in violation of the law of war, terrorism and material support of terrorism.
"Our son received a death sentence on 9/11 for crimes he never committed," said Sally Regenhard, of the Bronx, whose son, Christian, 28, a probationary firefighter, died in the attacks. "I think it's time for biblical justice."
She was also among several victims' family members who are glad they will have the opportunity to watch the proceedings on closed-circuit television, as they did during the 2006 trial of Zacarias Moussaoui in Virginia.
"I and many other families I know want to fully participate, we want to learn as much as we can," Regenhard said. "We want to see and hear the evidence for ourselves."
That's why Al and Maureen Santora of Astoria attended the closed-circuit broadcast of the Moussaoui trial just about every day.
Their son Christopher, 23, was also a probationary firefighter who died in the attacks.
"You learn a lot from just listening and seeing these people and how they behave," said Al Santora, a retired fire chief. "We wanted to see how and why people could hate so deeply."

Back