880th Eng. Bn

Hank Berg

Responding to inquiry on 880th Engineer Bn [Heavy Construction], Missouri Army National Guard, Jefferson Barracks, MO.

I was a member of the 880th from 1956 to 1962, holding the ranks of PVT, PFC, SPC, CPL, and SGT.

My career in Land Surveying started due to my enlistment in Company "A" in 1956 whilst a senior at Cleveland High Shool. I was a company "A" construction instructor, drafter, surveyor, and company commander's aide.

I completed my enlistment about the time the state of Missouri was disbanding the 138th Inf. Bn. on Grand Avenue. The various companies were being transferred to the 880th which was reassigned as a Construction Bn. . . . then I believe they became a Combat Eng. Bn.

I don't know what happened to the 880th after the 1960's since I movd out of the state.

However, I did find a mention of the unit in the bio of Major General Frank J. Grass. Frank was a Captain in the 880th from February 1986 to July 1986.

The individual searching for information for the 1950's to the 1960's can contact me for additional information/photos.

Last edited:
Responding to inquiry on 880th Engineer Bn [Heavy Construction], Missouri Army National Guard, Jefferson Barracks, MO.

I was a member of the 880th from 1956 to 1962, holding the ranks of PVT, PFC, SPC, CPL, and SGT.

My career in Land Surveying started due to my enlistment in Company "A" in 1956 whilst a senior at Cleveland High Shool. I was a company "A" construction instructor, drafter, surveyor, and company commander's aide.

I completed my enlistment about the time the state of Missouri was disbanding the 138th Inf. Bn. on Grand Avenue. The various companies were being transferred to the 880th which was reassigned as a Construction Bn. . . . then I believe they became a Combat Eng. Bn.

I don't know what happened to the 880th after the 1960's since I movd out of the state.

However, I did find a mention of the unit in the bio of Major General Frank J. Grass. Frank was a Captain in the 880th from February 1986 to July 1986.

The individual searching for information for the 1950's to the 1960's can contact me for additional information/photos.

Welcome! Enjoy!​

Back