82nd and 101st Airbourne Divisions

Other than the fact that the 82nd remains a "true" Airborne division. And the 101st is an Air Assault division with some Airborne (parachute) assets attached. They are both light Infantry.

as 03USMC said, both divisions are light infantry. The 82nd has around 14,000 troops while the 101st has over 20,000 soldiers. I know the 101st is in the process of making a new brigade, and I am sure the 82nd will follow suit.

The main difference between the divisions is Air Assault vs Airborne. The 101st sole purpose is to do air assault operations while the 82nd does mainly airborne operations. I know the 82nd can air assault too, but only in a limited capacity. Being Air Assault is why the 101st is much bigger than the 82nd. Here at the 101st, we have choppers, choppers and more choppers. I believe we got over 300 of the birds.

THe 82nd and 101st share simular unit histories. The 82nd Division was first formed during WWI. The division was reformed in WWII and served in Italy and in Europe. The division was reformed in the 50's. the 82nd played a limited roll in Vietnam. Troops from the 82nd were sent to the Dominican Republic and to Vietnam as rapid deployment troops during the TET Offensive.

The 101st was formed during WWII. THe 101st served in Europe. The 187 INF REG was added to the 101st later. The Rakkasans were the first US paratroopers to jump against the Japanese. The division was reinstated in the 50's and served in Vietnam. The 101st did the main fighting in the A Shau Valley (Movie Hamburger Hill).

After Nam, most should know the histories of the 82nd and 101st.

edit: oops I forgot the 82nd did a jump in Korea. There was a general in Korea that saved the 82nd from being used in suicide missions. GEN Ridgway took over the ailing 8th Army and turned it into a bunch of fighting men. After the successful airborne operation, higherups wanted to use the 82nd for impossible missions. Since Ridgway commanded the 18th Airborne Corps in WWII, he knew better and protected the 82nd.

wow

I didnt kno that. All i knew is that they were seperated and killed durin the war against germany. There was heavy fire and since in was night time the drop didnt go as welll planned.

Doody said:
glad to be of service sir!!!!

is there anything else you would like to know???

Thanks Doody. I'll go and have a look at 101st (Fort Campbell) website now. I'll get back to you if something comes to mind.

my 82nd airborne buddy calls the 101st 'dopes on a rope'...

just some friendly ribbing....

me? im airforce and have no dog in this hunt...

david

that's what I say too and I am with the 101st :D

I have also heard the 101st called puking/screaming chickens.

During the Vietnam War, the NVA and VC thought the Eagle patch was a chicken. When the war started, all US Army units had colored unit patches on thier uniforms. At some point, the Army changed the unit patches to subdued colors. The 101st was allowed to keep their colored patch because the NVA and VC respected and feared the 101st.

That is my history lesson for the day

SGT Doody

yup, the vietnamese knew the 101st as the "chicken men" because of the patch, and they feared the chicken men.

The 101st is the only air assault division in the free world. They are also mairborne per se, but not airborne as in jump qualified. Its the one post at Ft Campbell where you'll also see the air assault wings worn above the airborne wings due to esprit de corps of the 101st.

Yes air assault is nicknamed dope on a rope, same as airborne is nicknamed dirt darts or lawn darts. :)

Air assault is used for almost the same purpose as airborne which is to do ops behind enemy lines and also for quick movement of troops to a battleline or area.

p.s. nap of the earth is a wonderful thing :)

edit: The nickname of the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), "Screaming Eagles," originates from the division's insignia, a bald eagle on a black shield. Old Abe was the eagle mascot of a Wisconsin regiment during the Civil War. The 101st was formed as a reserve unit in Wisconsin shortly after World War I and included "Old Abe" as part of the division's insignia. The motto of the 101st is "Rendezvous With Destiny." The 101st has such a rich history I love reading about it. Im a 101st fan before, during, and after my 2 years with them.
Always first sir!
101st!
oosha!

What is the difference between air assault and airbourne? is it that air assault troops are transported and landed by helicopter, where airbourne troops use parachutes? Thanks.

when the 101st did a division air assault in Desert Storm, they had to use other units assets to assist them since they didnt nhave enough helos

my mom was attached to them during desert storm and she said they are some serious badasses.

Mod Edit: No. All that will do is start a flame war.

trust me on this one. Being in the 101st Airbone Division does not automatically make a soldier a "hardass." I will say that some units are quite hardcore. Right now the 187 INF REG is lead by a colonel who was knee deep in :cen: during Somalia. I have heard that he has made those boys quite hard. Then you have other soldiers who are as soft as pink bunnies.

Oh cmon mod I was only saying what i've heard. You make my post look like i'm bragging about my mom. At least delete the whole thing.

I did not mean to make you or you mom look bad Big_Z.

I have spent almost 5 years with the 101st, so I have a good idea of how things work there. I would have posted what I wrote even if I wasn't a mod. I guess I just tell things how it is. THat's why I did not work well with the recruiters.

Anyways, I can also tell you that I have met some chicks who can put guys to shame. There is this one chick who can run a 14:15 on the 2 mile run. That alone puts a lot of us boys to shame. Get this, I even saw a woman teaching infantry tactics at a school for that at Ft. Campbell.

I am sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention.

SGT Doody

Back