82nd and 101st Airbourne Divisions - Page 2

--

November 27th, 2004  
Shadowalker

What is the difference between air assault and airbourne? is it that air assault troops are transported and landed by helicopter, where airbourne troops use parachutes? Thanks.
November 27th, 2004  
soldierzhonor

thats kind of it. Air Assault school is a combo of helo knowledge, rappelling, sling loading, and actions in an lz, etc.
November 27th, 2004  
Shadowalker

It must take a load of helos just to move a single brigade!! even battalion!
--
November 27th, 2004  
soldierzhonor

when the 101st did a division air assault in Desert Storm, they had to use other units assets to assist them since they didnt nhave enough helos
November 27th, 2004  
Big_Z

my mom was attached to them during desert storm and she said they are some serious badasses.

Mod Edit: No. All that will do is start a flame war.
November 28th, 2004  
ltdave

DAMN got to respect a woman assigned to the 101...

david
November 28th, 2004  
Big_Z

Nah its no big deal, she worked a desk for them.
November 28th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

trust me on this one. Being in the 101st Airbone Division does not automatically make a soldier a "hardass." I will say that some units are quite hardcore. Right now the 187 INF REG is lead by a colonel who was knee deep in during Somalia. I have heard that he has made those boys quite hard. Then you have other soldiers who are as soft as pink bunnies.
November 28th, 2004  
Big_Z

Oh cmon mod I was only saying what i've heard. You make my post look like i'm bragging about my mom. At least delete the whole thing.
November 28th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

I did not mean to make you or you mom look bad Big_Z.

I have spent almost 5 years with the 101st, so I have a good idea of how things work there. I would have posted what I wrote even if I wasn't a mod. I guess I just tell things how it is. THat's why I did not work well with the recruiters.

Anyways, I can also tell you that I have met some chicks who can put guys to shame. There is this one chick who can run a 14:15 on the 2 mile run. That alone puts a lot of us boys to shame. Get this, I even saw a woman teaching infantry tactics at a school for that at Ft. Campbell.

I am sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention.

SGT Doody