80 M1's destroyed in Iraq - Page 2

--

April 3rd, 2005  
FO Seaman

Oops, thats Afganastan, Sorry. I mean Iran.
April 3rd, 2005  
WarMachine

What i said about the antimine capabilities was in response to another post. But i have seen the damage done by mines to tanks, videos of insurgents blowing up tanks speeding on roads would make you believe that mines are very potent against tanks. But i think the true threat is sneaking around the soldiers to hit the softer spots of the tanks. Hell, maybe a proximity detection system is what they need.
April 3rd, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMachine
What i said about the antimine capabilities was in response to another post. But i have seen the damage done by mines to tanks, videos of insurgents blowing up tanks speeding on roads would make you believe that mines are very potent against tanks. But i think the true threat is sneaking around the soldiers to hit the softer spots of the tanks. h**l, maybe a proximity detection system is what they need.
I know mines are a dangerous threat to tanks, treads and chassis.
--
April 4th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

So there have been a total of 770 tanks have been attacked. 80 of them have been taken out of action, that's a loss rate of 10.4%. There have been 15 crew deaths, that's a loss rate of .5%. If you take into account that the tanks are being used in urban enviroments where tanks have always been at a disadvantage and that there has been a complete breakdown of the logistics system in Iraq, it isn't bad.
April 5th, 2005  
pyromedic89

You put main battle tanks in a urban/close in area, it's only a matter of time before they suffer causalities....side/rear/top armor becomes target of opportunity and at point blank ranges, even whats normally considered ineffective against a Abrams can kill it.
April 6th, 2005  
Kilgore

They should mention how many tank crews are dead more than tanks being wiped out. I also believed that most of these tanks "Destroyed" were mostly heavily damaged but the crews survive.

I was talking to a Iraqi war veteran though, he tells me how the resistance are smart to dig holes in the asphalt and place bombs in them, then place the asphalt back where it was. This has destroyed several bradleys unfortunatly.... He also told me how they can really mess up an M1abram as well.
April 6th, 2005  
TBA_PAKI

Two M1A1 ABRAMS MBT's were destroyed in Iraq in Baghdad during the actual war and the rest might be damaged or disabled.

Although I am suprised by the account of the total MBT's knocked-out and this just indicates the effectiveness of gurriella-style warfare, even if not properly executed and organized.

Although Iraqi resistance is not to the level of Mujahiddeen's in Afghanistan against Soviet Union but it still rings some bells for future war-planners!

But it is also true that MBT's are not designed for very close-range encounters.
April 6th, 2005  
AlexKall

Does it really matter in the instense its hit, if its destroyed or disabled, it still, most likley, can't conntinue to fight and that would be a good thing for the enemy forces.
April 6th, 2005  
Mikey

I've seen at least 6 photos on the internet of M1s that were damaged in Iraq due to driving off of very steep embankment and canal walls. There is one group of JPeg photos called Tankshappen, ( I see some of them on M90.org, but a caution while the site is pro military, it is a little spicy with some of its pic and videos) one showing a M1 standing almost vertical from front to back, apparently the solider drove off a highway overpass. That plus the fact that the M1 was new to the Iraqi army in 1991, you tend to learn from your mistakes the 2nd time around.
April 6th, 2005  
Knightraptor

how many of those 80 were just disabled, and then destroyed by us to prevent capture?