80% of American soldiers in Iraq want to stay there

pimp_squeak

My dad and I were talking and apparently they took a poll of soldiers over in Iraq and apparently something like 80% of them WANT to be there and are willing to complete another tour of Duty there. I can't find the article but maybe one the other Milquotes members saw it or has any comments

BTW, I am also one of those 70%. I went into Iraq when the war kicked off, I am slated to go back sometime this summer or fall and I still support the war. This time my wife will be going as well.

it really has to do with what kind of men and women join the military. In general, conservitives join the military more than liberals. I believe over 60% of the enlisted US Army considers itself conservitive. When it comes to officers, that percentage rises to over 80%. I cannot find the poll on those figures. They came out a few months before the election. Since my company let out a loud cheer when Bush win was official, I can voutch for those figures.

Basically, you are not going to get the peace supporting people in the military. They are the ones who stay back and protest the war.

Doody said:
BTW, I am also one of those 70%. I went into Iraq when the war kicked off, I am slated to go back sometime this summer or fall and I still support the war. This time my wife will be going as well.

god bless you and your family!

my opinion is that the couse of that is in their familiarisation of that type of warfare and their willingness to get more expiriance in that type of warfare

i had a friend who was over there with the american military teaching the iraqis how to use tanks. he wasn't in a combat situation but he said it wasn't fun, nonetheless

best wishes to you doody, and everyone over there, stay safe

I think that it is great that there is such overwhelming support for the war effort in Iraq from the enlisted personnel. I believe that any country's military can not succed in a combat zone without the enlisted personnel's support. God Bless America's Armed Forces!

The troops themselves know they have to endure and to stay until the job is done. Clear and simple Ladies and Gentlemen.

Do they mention why? I've heard on the news that some soldiers realize and see the situations over there and are thanked for their efforts in trying to help out the Iraqis overthrow a tryant and rebuild their homes, but I've also heard on the news that the US soldiers don't understand the Iraqi culture and do things that present themselves as the common invader/enemy. If 80% of the soldiers want to stay there, I'd think the majority of the Iraqis actually support the US military action against the old regime, is that a fair statement? Do the Iraqis feel their lives got better?

When I was there the the attitude from the average iraqi civilian I got was that they where thankful for helping to get rid of sadaam but wanted to know when I was going home so there life could return to "normal". They don't see the big picture about the vacuum we would leave if we just up and left just that they get hurt and killed because there stuck in the middle of a war zone. Alot of the dislike for americans seemed to me to come from the ignorance and lack of education, rumors are taken for fact.
For example a popular local religious leader we where working with was taking a very neutral stance towards the coalition when the insurgents made a car bomb chained some guy into it got the leader to take a ride and boom. Then they started the rumor with the help of his brother that we dropped a bomb from a airplane and killed the poor shiek and alot of the iraq's believed it as fact. we drove his brother out of town and told all the locals we knew what happened and it kind of blew over but the damage was done and that part of ramadi would never trust us the same.
I believe we presented are selfs fairly well however there is going to be friction when lives are on the line. The real problem is age old, you have civilians stuck between 2 waring factions and they just want peace or what ever they think will bring it to them the fastest. The insurgents just try and do what ever it takes to make the U.S. look bad don't believe the media its nothing but a weapon to be used by both sides.

I want to go back to iraq simply because i am a professional and i want to do my job, I don't think a solider can actually support a war he just survives them. If a civilian asked me if i support the war i would tell them yes because its simpler then trying to explain that in the military not finishing what we started is the same as a defeat. Alot of the guys i went over there with share this same view but its a large army and every one fights for there own reasons.

This turned out longer then i intended but i gave my view point on this thread and tryed to fill in some questions people asked.

I have always supported the War in Iraq, I don't look at Iraq like a post WWI Germany where they were defeated and rebuilding, but rather like Korea, it is the same war we were fighting in 1990-91, the key difference that now it is 2003-05 and the end does not appear to be in sight. Saddam was a bastard and needed to be removed, as evident by many polls most Iraqi's felt the same. Saddam should have been removed back in 1991, but politics got in the way. In 2000 I was a very harsh critic of Bush (but I was also only 14 so did not really know wtf I was talking about.) I told anyone that would listen to me that Bush was gonna go into Iraq to finish what his daddy started and that the writing was on the wall, plain as day. But when Bush finally did it I had a whole new respect for the man, he put his neck on the line for the cause of liberty and justice, two of our most precious ideals, and not to protect those rights for American's, bot to bring them to people across the world in a country that had committed blatant acts of aggression against it's neighbors and the US. The war was never over, it was just dormany, ready to blow up again once the right chain of events occured, which obviously happened.

I joined the Army after the second invasion of Iraq, I know that I am going to Iraq, I chose to join anyways. Supposedly I will be serving in Europe for one tour of duty right after training but I am all but positive that means I will be placed in a unit based in Europe but on station in Iraq, but I want to go to Iraq, I want to help these people experience what I have been lucky enough to experience, nobody should have to spend their entire lives fearing that they are next. I am not scared about going to Iraq becuase I know that Uncle Sam is gonna make me into the fighting machine I need to be in order to survive, I joined to serve God and Country, I seek not to take part in a Crusade against Muslims but in a Crusade, or great war, against terror and tyrants like Saddam Hussein.

Anyways, that is just my two cents.

Yeah,this figure is larger than I thought,um,if it is true.

And I have a simple question,soldiers will face death sometimes,and what are they fight for?

Thanks.

Archit said:
Yeah,this figure is larger than I thought,um,if it is true.

And I have a simple question,soldiers will face death sometimes,and what are they fight for?

Thanks.

People like to associate a war with a cause. The soldiers on the ground will not be thinking of that cause as the bullets fly. He will be thinking of the mannext to him. In battle, soldiers fight for eachother. When the soldier comes home, then he can say he fought for the cause.

SGT Doody

"Once we get back home, they don't know why we do it. They don't know. They don't know that it's about the guy next to you."

- Hoot

Script Phrase from Black Hawk Down.

That quote is stuck in my mind.

Back