8 days of infantry training

Three round burst with M-16

Sounds fun..

Field training can be fun..

if the weather is good!

Still the American infantry is issued with the three-round burst M-16,

won't that be a problem when trying to shoot multiple near foes when a single observer (with M-16 only) tries to down the enemies before they get near to the platoon?

Or when fighting in built up areas?

Seconds count in such situations. You can't afford to pull and let go the trigger and pull again. :m16shoot:

Sounds fun..

Field training can be fun..

if the weather is good!

Still the American infantry is issued with the three-round burst M-16,

won't that be a problem when trying to shoot multiple near foes when a single observer (with M-16 only) tries to down the enemies before they get near to the platoon?

Or when fighting in built up areas?

Seconds count in such situations. You can't afford to pull and let go the trigger and pull again. :m16shoot:

Er, what?

Ehhh, three-round burst M-16...that's news to me...

Wasn't that something H&K invented in the -70'ties?

What about this good- weather stuff? For german infantry rain is the best thing you can get because its noisy and you can't see us coming :)
That's why rain in germany is called infantry-sun :cool:
Well ok truth now: everything is ok except rain but if i was to fight (attack, snap through) i would pray for rain, especially in forests. Assuming you have good reconnaisance and know more about the enemy than he knows about you ...

The best times for the attack are at night and when it rains. The only problem with night is that sounds can carry a long way, so a windy night might be something worth thinking about. No moon obviously.

The best times for the attack are at night and when it rains. The only problem with night is that sounds can carry a long way, so a windy night might be something worth thinking about. No moon obviously.

Well I guess that depends on your mission task. If you are to seize and hold ground, then pre-dawn is best (in my opinion) but if you are doing a smash and grab raid then shortly after last light is the best time. Simply meaning, if you need to defend a position against counter attack and tie in guns etc, I'd rather do it in daylight after the sun has come up, and if I wanted to get out as quick as I came in, I'd rather do it in the depth of night.

Our Tactical Teacher told us that rain can be your best friend or your worst enemy - it depends on your situation :)

Restricts movement, restricts resupply, restricts your own vision...
Sometimes that is a good thing, sometimes it's a bad thing.
But if I wanted to attack the enemy and take him by surprise, I would want rain. The enemy's guards will not be able to hear very well, see very well and in most cases just hide under a tarp or roof (depending on facilities) and are too busy trying to keep their cigarettes alive.
And of course even fog can to be your advantage.

Can't really agree on the fog issue, any sound has a tendency to travel far in foggy conditions, making silent advanse difficult, plus enemy guards being more aware.
Fog usually appear when it's no wind, that calls for strict noice-dicipline, and in fog any stray light can illuminate the fog and give away your silhouette...

Besides, foggy conditions during a period around the freezing point can mess up your equipment ad make your weapon jam, requires more attention to your gear being servicable.

I said fog because there have been some pretty incredible infiltration incidents that have happened regarding fog.
There was one incident which happened while I was in but I'm not at liberty to say but I will say that fog played a huge role.
Remember that I always think of things in a coastal setting.

The movie "When Trumpets Fade" shows a good scene where fog helped a squad retreat from a bunch of Germans in the Ardenne Forest. Although one of the squad members lost his way, ran into a German patrol and was captured. Fog can work in both ways.

I'll leave tomorrow for 7 weeks of infantry training- i'll train some Privates so that they can become combat ready some day (thats what we call it here- combat ready). If you are interested i can write you a field report, but i'll need someone for proofreading ;) So long,
Tom

I said fog because there have been some pretty incredible infiltration incidents that have happened regarding fog.
There was one incident which happened while I was in but I'm not at liberty to say but I will say that fog played a huge role.
Remember that I always think of things in a coastal setting.

Ah, but I have also spendt quite some time thinking of things in a coastal setting my friend. :)

On a few occations we had those fogy nights with absolutely no wind, only the waves washing on the rocks and beaches on the fortress, then we could hear doors slamming and cars moving all the way from the mainland.
There was even one time we actually had to call off the guards on patrol.

The first sign was obvious when one of the patrols came back in and reported that they had lost their way between two checkpoints up on the top and nearly walked off the cliff.
The response was to instruct the next patrols to ignore the checkpoints and stick on the paved roads.

Then some hours later we heard a faint message on the radio (AN-PRC's constantly hampered with weak batteries) when one of the patrols called for back up...
They had taken position in a fox-hole or dug-in MG-stand on the northern part of the island, preparing to fire at unidentified persons not responding to their calls.
A vehicle was sendt out to check the situation, and they brought the sentries back with them.

They both swore that they had heard a boat landing on the shore and people trying to get through the barbed-wire fences there.
As there was no response on their demands for ID and they didn't get contact with us on the radio, they took cover in the fox-hole some 30 meters from the shore where they loaded live rounds and prepared themselves to fight whatever it was off.

A quick inspection of the sandy shore and the fence relvealed no evidence of human activity or attempts to breach the fences, consequently the patrols were called off for the rest of the night.

Daylight came, and shone no light on what could have happened during the night, there were no traces of activity on the beach.

My experience is thereby that fog can play tricks on peoples minds, and that sounds do travel a far distance under such conditions.

Yep, so for the attacker, fog can be used well and it has. Believe me I was there. It was incredible. But too bad it's a secret.

The night is for gonking. Havn't had a night attack yet that has gone good, broken ankles just getting into the FUP.

Night attacks can be very good, but also very costly even before you meet up with enemy boneheads, obviously Wallabies experienced that. Ankles, who needs stinkin ankles?

I'm afraid to ask what gonking is, I assume it's what dogs like to do to my leg.

Night attacks can be very good, but also very costly even before you meet up with enemy boneheads, obviously Wallabies experienced that. Ankles, who needs stinkin ankles?

I'm afraid to ask what gonking is, I assume it's what dogs like to do to my leg.

Gonking = Sleeping

Back