7 Years ago Today

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQzgF_NBxpI&feature=player_embedded

It was the Second Battle of Yeonpyeong.
While most people were getting ready to watch the 3/4th place playoff between South Korea and Turkey, North Korean ships attacked South Korean ships in the Yellow Sea.
The South Korean president at the time, Kim Dae-jung pretended like it never happened and didn't even go to see the families of those who died and the wounded who were in a military hospital. Of course back in 2002, the country was swept up with anti-Americanism so no one criticized North Korea for the attacks.
I didn't realize the significance of it on the day, but as the days unfolded I found it odd that the sailors involved in the engagement were not being given the attention or appreciation that they deserved.
May the deceased rest in peace.
And I hope life is not too cruel to those who became disabled from their wounds.
South Korea is horribly unforgiving towards those who are disabled, even if it happened while defending the country.

Actually, now that you mention it I do recall hearing something about it. And the sailors & soldiers from both sides are eternally in my prayers.

Well that day it was only sailors.
But soldiers and Marines have killed and died in the defense of the country many times over before and after the Korean War.

So typical of governments all over the world. Once you are of no further use you are cast onto the scrapheap and forgotten.

Except in that case it was pretty extreme. Most times they pretend to give a damn. This guy didn't even visit the wounded nor did he attend the funerals. He wanted the whole country to forget because it would tarnish North Korea's image.

Except in that case it was pretty extreme. Most times they pretend to give a damn. This guy didn't even visit the wounded nor did he attend the funerals. He wanted the whole country to forget because it would tarnish North Korea's image.

It's pretty sad when an elected official ignores those who suffered in defence of the nation. even worse when it is done to placate ones enemies...:?

It was so bad that if I was a squad leader having to deal with North Koreans violating the border, I don't think I could actually order my men to follow me to stop them. Either I'd have to just refuse and go to prison or just go by myself.

A lot of South Koreans do not consider North Korea as enemy. Good news is, the number of those people have been going down. Unfortunately, the number is still high.

Back