66th Engr Co (Topo)(Corps)

Toposurveyor

Although I have not posted here in some time, in doing some surfing, I saw a couple posts concerning the 66th Engr Co. I served with that unit 1965 - 1967, including in Viet Nam 1966 - 1967.

If those folks are still around and would like some info regarding the unit, I would be glad to throw in my two cents worth.

I'll check in here more often to see what transpires.

Ed

Welcome, I was with the 66th when is deactivated in VN - 1972. I had several friends who served in Repro and Carto when you were there. One especially - Sammy Nadler.

Thanks for the Welcome.

I don't recognize that name. But, being in the field probably 90% of my tour, I'm not surprised. Some of those I do remember are John Tolento, E. Pagan, Marty Wilkerson, Ted Albert.

I have tried to track down others from the 66th and had very few replies. I have talked with/wrote a half dozen or so surveyors, and John and Ted from Carto. I did have e-mail contact with Bill Smith of HQ but no longer.

I had some difficulty in researching the viet Nam history of our unit. I finally made contact with a historian and found his info interesting.

Ed

Thought that I would identify the picture on my member login. That is myself standing next to a MC-8 electronic measuring device and Ken Murphy keeping notes. We are at Tan Son Nhut airport in Saigon. This was likely taken in November 1966.

Ed

I, too, have had difficulty in finding history of the 66th (and other TOPO units), part of the problem was that TOPO was a small field and there was another TOPO company in VN. I don’t remember their numerical designation and they were located farther north of us. They had their own web site but there was no activity on it for some time.

I also served with the 656th, the 524th and the 649th TOPO from 1966 - 1977, when I went into another field.

I have a lot of 35mm slides of the 66th area prior to it being torn down, one of the last things we did was burn all the maps in the warehouse.

03USMC,

Not until your post. A while back, I used the search function on this site using various forms of the 66th ID and nothing came back.

Thanks for the info.

Ed

Back