66th Engineer Company (TOPO CORPS)

victorm16

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, and want you to know how proud I am of you guys and all of our troops. I served with the 66th Engineer Company (TOPO CORPS) from June 13 1962 - June 12 1964. I pushed my number up in the draft so as to get in earlier. My brother was in Thailand at the time setting up communications for our troops, preparing for Nam. The 66th then was a strak unit that was also preparing for that era by printing maps and surveying. At that time we were with the 3rd Army at Fort Bragg North Carolina. attached to the 18th Airborne Corps. I was hoping to get in contact with some of the guys I served with. So far no luck, then I found this site on the net. Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone. I want to say for those who are serving now, good luck to you all and may god be with you. It's a priviledge to associate with you. thank You. God Bless America.
:cheers:

66th TOPO Long Bien Vietnam Aug 67 to Aug 68 (TET)

Hey I'm looking for the same thing, also having no luck.... When I was picked up at the 90th RePo Depot, I was taken to the new home of the 66th, when we got there, it was a big empty field, I asked where everything was & we were all told "your all engineers, build it" a fat guy said lets start with the Mess Hall, another (ansie guy) said "No, we need a Latreen first" so we built the latreen, Mess Hall, Houches, but from the begining there was a perminate sand bag detail, when the buildings were done, the sand bags were laid.. Last big project was a large canopy for all the truck mounted 3-phase printing press' & the monster genorator........ Bob
"your not taking this press alive, removed by moderator"... :sniper:

Last edited by a moderator:
victorm16, did you happen to know...

a Herbert Beebe with the 66th Topo at Bragg? He was there about the same time as you. He drew maps.

He is my father-in-law.

Thanks.

jpalmer

Served with Company December 1959 to July 1960

I was assigned to the 66th at Ft Bragg from December 1959 to July 1960 after two years in the Canal Zone.

Hey I'm looking for the same thing, also having no luck.... When I was picked up at the 90th RePo Depot, I was taken to the new home of the 66th, when we got there, it was a big empty field, I asked where everything was & we were all told "your all engineers, build it" a fat guy said lets start with the Mess Hall, another (ansie guy) said "No, we need a Latreen first" so we built the latreen, Mess Hall, Houches, but from the begining there was a perminate sand bag detail, when the buildings were done, the sand bags were laid.. Last big project was a large canopy for all the truck mounted 3-phase printing press' & the monster genorator........ Bob
"your not taking this press alive, removed by moderator"... :sniper:
Greetings Snowbird. I,m sorry I did'nt contact you sooner, but I think it's almost impossible to locate my buddies from the 66th. I wrote an e-mail to Michael Brodhea Historian Office of History US Army Corps of Engineers in Alexandria Va. 7701 Telegraph Road, 22314-3865. His number is (703) 428-6559. All he knew was that they were in Nam from 2 septembr 1966-20 March 1972. I wanted to look up some old Army buddies I served with but he couldent come up with a list of names or where they live.The only info he had was a xerox copy of a pamphlet of theCapabilities of the 66th and a few documents on the units insignia. (dragon under the words Airborn) I do have some names from documents I saved from when I served with the 66th if you want names of people I knew. Thanks Vic

Welcome to the site! That's some amazing background! Hope you bring enlightenment to the site.

a Herbert Beebe with the 66th Topo at Bragg? He was there about the same time as you. He drew maps.

He is my father-in-law.

Thanks.

jpalmer
Hi! My name is Vic, replying a little late. Does your father-in-law know a sgt Brownell. He was my platoon sgt. A few other names were master sgt Mattick, chief warrent officer Johnson, e7 Newman, and a few more. I was a pressman 835.10 and printed maps for the upcomming Viet Nam war. If he has an email address that I could write to him and talk, I'd appreciate it. Thank you for your help.

Hello, Vic

I will print your message and show it to my father-in-law. I will ask if he remembers these men. I take it you do not remember him yourself? I will also ask for his exact dates of service (he has told me in the past, but I don't remember). He is not tech savvy, so he doesn't have a personal email. His wife does, and he may occasionally send an email through her. I will ask if he is interested in communicating; you may have a few things in common that he would like to remember. Thanks for the reply, and I will try to post more soon.

jpalmer

Hello again, Vic.

I spoke to my father-in-law (Herbert), and he does remember a couple of men you mention, although not much about them. It turns out that he left Bragg (he left the Army) in August of 1962, so your dates only overlap by a couple of months. He remembers a sergeant Newman (but he thought he was an E6, not an E7- maybe promoted later?), and he said CWO Johnson sounded familiar to him as well. Herbert has several pictures of the company area, barracks, etc. where he was stationed there, as well as at least one picture of the vans you would have worked in while printing maps. He said he did hang out for awhile with another map-drawer who had a buddy in the map-printing area (but I forget the name... it wasn't you). Anyway, Herbert said he wouldn't mind speaking with you and maybe even sharing some photos with you. (He drew maps, but his profession became photography after the Army. His daughter, my wife, is a graphic designer and often scans, color corrects and puts some of his old photos on disk or online for his or other family use.) Anyway, he does not have an email, and would probably prefer to speak with you over the phone (and, later, maybe exchange emails through his wife). So, if you would like him to contact you, please provide me a number and a personal email address, and I will pass it along. He may surprise me and want to email or write, but he doesn't enjoy using computers. When you reply, I will see that he gets your message and maybe you can both remember some old buddies whose times overlapped both of yours. Best to you, and awaiting your reply.

James Palmer

Hello 66th Engr Co.

Hello all I was a Sergeant in Survey 1970 to 1972...anyone there at that time can respond...thank you...also in army/togetherweserved.com

Back