66th Engineer Company (TOPO CORPS)

66th topo

Hi All, I joined the 66th Engr Co. (T)(C) in May 1971 and was the CO until sometime in January '72.

Phil Grinton

big generator

I was in the 66th TOPO Aug. '67 to June "68. Worked in the SED section. I'm the guy that wired up that "big generator"! Do ya remember SP5 Feasel? I've been told I'm pretty forgetable.

Then you were my CO. I came to the 66th in Oct 71 and stayed till the end-Mar 72. One of our officers Lt Kevin Gartlin was to become My Co at the 524th TOPO at Ft Hood.

I was with the 66th from 71-72 wold like to contact any old TOPO soldiers - from the 656gth, the 649t, the 29th, the 524th, the 63rd, the 44th and any I have not listed. TOPO is no more and all we have are our memories, I would like to share minel

Last edited:
I knew a SSG Newman (we knew him as newby one stroke, long story) in the 66th as well as CWO Johnson. Wold like to campare nanes and places. TOPO was small field and most everbody knew everybody else at least in their speciality. I have photos of Tompkins, Ft Hood and the 66th if anyone wants.

Last edited:
524th Engineer Co 1975-1978

I was with the 524th Engineer Company (Topo) serving as a 82D from 1975 through 1978. The survey methods that I learned at Ft. Belvoir and then got to practice on TDY missions really set me up for a lifetime career. It's a shame that I lost track of the folks that I served with.

Last edited:
524 Eng (TOPO) 1979

Hello to All,
I served in the 524 Eng (TOPO) as a 81C in 1979. I remember the motorpool was across the street from the Stockade. I remember CPT Sharon and 1SGT Joseph. I never got to deploy when I served but have more than made up for it as I have been deployed as a DoD Contractor Iraq and Afghanistan for over three years.

land surveyor

I,too served in the 66th from 9/12/61 to 9/11/63. I was in the survey platoon along with Charlie Hower,Norm Karcher, Dave Lake. Are any of you guys out there?

I am trying to contact anyone from 524 topo 1964-1966. Whatever became of the 524th. Cap't Miles CO??? E4 Earl Jones, Menands NY and Largo FL

66th Engineer Company (Sapper)

I am new to this site and have been trying to do some research on the history of the 66th Engineer Company, before it was reactivated in Hawaii. It is for my own personal use, because what we have is very limited. Currently serving my second deployment with 66th in Iraq.

I am new to this site and have been trying to do some research on the history of the 66th Engineer Company, before it was reactivated in Hawaii. It is for my own personal use, because what we have is very limited. Currently serving my second deployment with 66th in Iraq.

I was with the 66th in VN when it was a Topographic Engr Co. I was there when the unit was de-activated and particapated in turning in all its equipment, tearing down the facilities, and destroying it map inventory. Our mission was much more benign than yours is now. I have many photos and 35 mm slides of the unit and persnnnel.
Best of luck to you.

Inroduction

I was in the 66th Engineers while in Vietnam -- May 1967 to May 1968. While with the 66th Engineers I served as the Operations Clerk during the last half of my tour. I am starting to work on a website with more information about the unit and personal items which may be of interest. I'll send the website address in the near future.

LR Watson

Last edited:
66 engr co topo corps Ft Bragg NC

Hi Victorm
Im sure i remember you.I arrived at the 66th early october 63 thru july 28
65. I rember a Vic i think from chicago a mike Potacki. My last name is Burke and a guy named Bob Conn started calling me stoney. After a tv show called Stoney Burke. You and Mike broke me in on the sheet fed press as i was a web pressman when i was drafted. Also remember Al Yeager, Puch lomoso, Sgt Brownel. sgt mattox was frist sgt.

About the same time i arrived so did Dave Tatsch and jerry Duvall.
Ive thought a lot thru the years about the co and the guys have regreated not getting addresses to keep in touch. i did see Bob Conn in 1976 in Iowa and looked him up had a nice visit. Keep in touch for awile
and lost contact again. Have looked on the net many times for info on the 66. Not much to find untel i found this site. Im surprised i remember this much after all these years. will sign off for noe hope to hear back.
Ed Burke.

Irw5643 - please inform us if you get your web site for the 66th up. The other TOPO unit in VN (the 569th) has a site but not much activity.
I would very much like to hear from any TOPO Engr's out there - what ever unit you were with.

Hi Muscogeemike,

I am still working on the website. It will not be anything like the 569th website though. It will be a lot more basic.

66th Engineer Co. (TOPO)

I was assigned to the 66th Engr Co. (TOPO) from March 1956 through Oct 1958 at Stuttgart, Germany and when the unit was reassigned to Fort Polk, LA.

I was with the 524 at Ft. Hood from Oct72-July74. I think Gartlin was CO then. I remember (getting harder to do that all the time) Ssg. Roosevelt Jackson, Platoon Sfc Frank Beard, Simon Cornell (Chief) and CWO Welcher. I may know muskogeemike.

Back