600,000 recruit details stolen.

Del Boy

Here's a rum do. A naval recruitment officer has lost his lap-top; stolen from his car.

It contains 600,000+ recruitment requests , for the Royal Marines, Royal Navy and RAF, including 150,000+ firm detailed recruitment applications for the Royal Navy, 3,700 of which even have bank account details.

This was not encrypted, in violation of the rules.

It has now been reported that two similiar lap-tops, one for the Army understand, were stolen some time ago, one from a recruitment office, but these were not reported at the time because they were encrypted and therefore the names involved did not need to be warned.

Well, another fine example of, "Oh it'll never happen, I don't need this."

That's the problem with today, you have paper documents, and people say they aren't that secure, and they age. Then you have computers, which can be hacked and still deteriorate as time goes on. Unless we can find some miracle invention that is idiot proof, or the universe stops building bigger and better idiots, WE'RE SCREWED!

The MoD has lost 571 laptop computers over the 7/8 years and refuse to say what was on these machines. Many of the details on the computer that was lost was over 10 years old so it makes you wonder just why this idiot was walking around with it. I still can't understand why they allowed to take so much sensitive information out of the main building.

As a security matter the loss of the laptop is inexcusable, (they are expensive) however it seems that the material on it was barely more important than where they hide the morning tea biscuits and probably held a lower security classification.

I could just imagine some poor schmuck reading that, in 2002 Billy Bloggs from Brixton failed his psychological testing and was told don't call us we will call you, or that Freddy Scroggins had poor dental hygiene.

Whoever has the computer has no doubt scrubbed all of the "rubbish" and loaded it up with really cool games by now.

I can't imagine that the Russian embassy has their military attaché out scouring the town for it with a suitcase full of US dollars.

Last edited:
Hmmm, reminds me of a certain CD containing a confidential report which was left in a computer at the Qantas club by a now female Brig.

Very untidy

Back