6.8mm Ever in Use?

Ah ok.
Bad info..I spoke with someone who had to return his SCAR after it had been evaled at Bragg.
Ergonomics were one of the issues, there were a few more.

I can´t speak about the system really since I have never fiered it myself.

Just switch.
Don't be blaming the Europeans for stuff. The US and large portions of Europe don't even use the same sort of electrical sockets and don't even use the same measuring standards. Blaming them for bullet calibers is a bit of a stretch.

Just switch.
Don't be blaming the Europeans for stuff. The US and large portions of Europe don't even use the same sort of electrical sockets and don't even use the same measuring standards. Blaming them for bullet calibers is a bit of a stretch.

It isn't blaming anyone, it's a fact. Their are several reasons for sticking with the NATO standards from logistics to dark shadowy stuff. Don't get your panties in a bunch or I won't take you to the range when I get back. :mrgreen:

At times it just rolls down onto the who is the lowest bidder. Bullets are expensive in war time, cause well, you buy a lot of them, cause well, you shoot stuff in war.

Personally if you wieght the 6.8mm like the Soviet 5.45x39 mm 7n10 through 24 series I believe? But with extra punch of the larger round, that'll maybe a chest popper.

Last edited:
NATO is one of the reasons why we haven't switched calibers but there are other reasons.

Before WWII the US Army was looking into adpoting a new service rifle and caliber. The M1 Garand was developed for the 276 Pedersen. General MacArthur decided that we should not jump to a new cartridge because he had millions of .30-06 stored since WWI and that trying to produce that stockpile with a new cartridge would be to big of an issue.

Same issue with the 6.8 or any other new cartridge. We have a metric ton of 5.56x45mm simply lying around and the fact that the entire arms industry produces this cartridge also will prevent being replaced simply because it has become the INTERNATIONAL standard of any western power caliber.

The following rifles are chambered in it.

AUG
FN FNC
M16 Series
AK Series
Sig 55x Series
XCR
AR-18
ACR
FN SCAR
FN 2000
Daewoo K series
SA80/L85 series
Ruger Mini-14 Series
Etc...

Secondly for the US Armed Forces it's a issue of logistics. New caliber, new weapon and/or upper, new magazines, new field manuals, new training courses to retrain soldiers on new platforms, new replacement parts to stock, etc...

That all takes time and money. Something which our Armed Forces don't have a lot of.

The USAF is known to still issue and service original AR-15s (before they were known as M16s). We're talking rifles from the early 1960s. They still have them in stock and issue them out. The rest of the armed forces are the same way to a lesser degree. Reserve forces are still issued M16A2s or upgrades M16A1s.

The 5.56x45mm itself is a proven cartridge when loaded with the right projectile. Currently the USMC is adopting a new load that is around the 77gr load. It's a whicked nasty little round. The LEO side of the cartridge is much better with current Gen 4 Hollow Point designs. Hell, even the classic 45gr JHP is a proven cartridge along with the classic 55gr soft tip.

The round isn't going anywhere...

The 6.8 SPC has been issued and used in the sandbox. All of it has been used by Special Operations. G.I. Joe Six Pack will not get it. But then again Spec Ops plays with what ever it wants. Knights SR-47s, SCARs, nuclear armed chickens, etc...

The 6.8 SPC has been issued and used in the sandbox. All of it has been used by Special Operations. G.I. Joe Six Pack will not get it. But then again Spec Ops plays with what ever it wants. Knights SR-47s, SCARs, nuclear armed chickens, etc...

No, SOF does not get whatever it wants. That's just in movies and the fantasies of regular Joe.

And no, 6.8 hasn't been "issued and used" in the sandbox by SOF. And if it were, you're not really the one to put that information out for all to see.

Now go slap your pee-pee. :wink:

No, SOF does not get whatever it wants. That's just in movies and the fantasies of regular Joe.

And no, 6.8 hasn't been "issued and used" in the sandbox by SOF. And if it were, you're not really the one to put that information out for all to see.

Now go slap your pee-pee. :wink:

REMOVED!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back