5th Gen Russian Jet

Well, the MiG-29 was supposed to be every bit as good as an F-15, and that didn't necessarily work out. Though the MiG is very good, it's just not an F-15. I have the feeling the same will go for the PAK FA against the F-22.

It is easier to design a stealth aircraft and a completely different situation trying to build one in a production environment.
During the summer, the chief of the Russian Air Force said this plane was not the direct competitor to the F-22. That this plane was designed to close the technical gap between the other European fighters and the current Russian fighters. That the direct competitor to the F-22 is still being designed. Now they say it is, I wonder which is it?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g1pM1xcmleffdDk4xv1LGakTO_Cw

What do you guys think? They claim it will be "no worse" than the F-22 but dont realy give any details.
Come on Redneck i think we have established what the Russian claims are worth, its only a technology demonstrator btw, its still about a decade from being an actuall fighter (if ever).

Another example of Russian vaporware.

Also no its not equal or anywhere close to F-22 i'd have to research it but it has bits and pieces from older craft including the engine and its own parts are waiting to be developed, by the time its out F-22 will be a good few years into production and will already have modernisation packages.

Planes not my thing but who said its designed to take on F-22s journalists?
By most accounts (including Sukhoi management statements) this is, and was meant to be, an affordable 5th generation figther.
Something that could hopefully make mincemeat of the various
F-16/Eurofighter etc but still cheapish.

Planes not my thing but who said its designed to take on F-22s journalists?
By most accounts (including Sukhoi management statements) this is, and was meant to be, an affordable 5th generation figther.
Something that could hopefully make mincemeat of the various
F-16/Eurofighter etc but still cheapish.
Dont make me go into specifics mode, suffice to say no russian fighter can make mincemeat of an Eurofighter or the latest F-16 blocks.

Also its a 5th gen fighter in name only, just like AK-74 is a "modern" assault rifle.

Its a 4th gen fighter and even then we can question its reliability, Russians have a long history of waving an achievement banner without anything to base it on.

Dont make me go into specifics mode, suffice to say no russian fighter can make mincemeat of an Eurofighter or the latest F-16 blocks.
Never suggested otherwise was just pointing out thats their aim not taking on F-22s according to statements.

It's an old russian tradition to claim that any new and even old russian-made weapon has no analogues in the world, or leaves all the analogues behind, or even both at the same time. The first one in Russia who said PAK FA would be 'not worse' than F-22 was then-defence minister, who is a famous prater. It's not serious to make any predictions whether it would be 'better' or 'worse' since: a) - the main program of flight testing has begun just a couple of weeks ago; b) - the aircraft that is being tested is not exactly the PAK FA, it's equipped with Su-35 engines. Also, many russian aircraft were changing essentially during their flight testing, esplecially Sukhoi.

So, yeah... For Russia it's a miracle that at least it exists and even can fly.

Very good quality video filmed in April just prior to transporting the aircraft from Komsomolsk to Ramenskoye near Moscow.
By the way, i don't like how traditional Sukhoi's livery looks on this one.
Russian Stealth Fighter Test Flight

much more beautiful than the F-22 Raptor...but that doesn't really matter when you've got bullets chasing your ass...but i think the PAK FA T50 will kick the raptors ass, simply because its a decade and a half in the future

much more beautiful than the F-22 Raptor...but that doesn't really matter when you've got bullets chasing your ass...but i think the PAK FA T50 will kick the raptors ass, simply because its a decade and a half in the future
Unfortunately that's only a proposal, and we have to wait until F-22 and T-50 will be used in combat action because almost all main stated specifications are quite similar: both for aircrafts, for engines and avionics including the radars.

But anyway there's one undisputable advantage T-50 has over Raptor - price.

I'm am very certain that like in the Past however, the USAF will badger Congress into expensive upgrade packages for the Raptor, especially at the expensive programs already bought and paid for just to bring it into existence, at this point it would not makes sense not to.

The Raptor will only get better over the years, as new components are place in, and newer and better offensive and defensive systems are developed , but that will only be seen with time. I am positive an F 22A of 2005, will not be as sharp as an F 22 B, or C or whatever model of 2014.

Expensive jets in the USAF are like wine, better with age.

By the way, another video finally with some manoeuvring, and also note how fast it takes off, just 300 meters.

Back