5CAV

--

August 5th, 2004  
5CAV

Topic: 5CAV

I found this site looking for information on a particular rifle. Firearms are my hobby. I am reasonably knowledgeable about them, but I always seek more knowledge until I reach enlightenment.

Another area I am fairly knowledgeable about is armor. Since I got out in the early 90's, my knowledge is getting a bit stale, but still more than the average layman.

These topics do not make for popular dinner conversation, especially with the ladies, so I welcome a forum where I can share thoughts with like-minded (and knowledgeable) people.

5th Cavalry was where I had one of the best jobs in my life -- Cavalry Platoon Leader. I'm still amazed at the level of responsibility the Army will give to a 20-year old kid.

I was lucky enough to serve after Vietnam and before Desert Storm, so I am a cold-warrior. We were put on alert a number of times, but I never had to fire live rounds at anyone, nor did I have to take them in return.

"Nolo Copulare Equestribus" was what the Troop Commander had on his wall. I think he was a Southie and had to suffer through some years of Latin taught by nuns. It translates literally as "Don't ******** with the horse-soldiers". If you are Cavalry, you know what the popular translation is. If you're not CAV, well, I can't help you!
August 5th, 2004  
jen.parabellum

Well welcome 5CAV And I assume there are ladies out there who do enjoy talking about rifles and armor over a nice romantic dinner filled with MREs.

I hope you enjoy your stay at the boards.
August 5th, 2004  
5CAV

Thanks for the welcome.

Actually, the last time I tried it (steak house, not MREs), her eyes rolled back in her head and she passed out in the mashed potatoes before I got to the Vietnam-era in the history of M16 development -- there was still about 20 years to go.
--
August 5th, 2004  
jen.parabellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5CAV
Thanks for the welcome.

Actually, the last time I tried it (steak house, not MREs), her eyes rolled back in her head and she passed out in the mashed potatoes before I got to the Vietnam-era in the history of M16 development -- there was still about 20 years to go.
LOL. Now I'd find that entire discussion interesting and would probably ignore the food completely.
August 5th, 2004  
5CAV

In that case, you are indeed very unique!

By the way, did you know your handle (parabellum) is a made-up word? It was coined by Georg Luger -- a marketing genius more than a firearms designer (the Luger is an improvement on Borchardt's pistol design). Luger was looking for a way to differentiate his new pistol and came up with a Latin-sounding, scientific-sounding word that had "bellum" for war in it. This was to help him (successfully) get some military contracts.

Have you passed out yet?
August 5th, 2004  
jen.parabellum

Quote:
In that case, you are indeed very unique!

By the way, did you know your handle (parabellum) is a made-up word? It was coined by Georg Luger -- a marketing genius more than a firearms designer (the Luger is an improvement on Borchardt's pistol design). Luger was looking for a way to differentiate his new pistol and came up with a Latin-sounding, scientific-sounding word that had "bellum" for war in it. This was to help him (successfully) get some military contracts.

Have you passed out yet?
I'm awake. So how do you explain the Latin phrase: Si vis pacem, para bellum which is said by Flavius Vegetius Renatus, which in English is translated into If you want peace, prepare for war. So was Luger naming it because it stood for a preparation of war? Meaning you would have to take the gun into battle?
August 5th, 2004  
5CAV

Wow, you are awake!

That is correct. That was the early 1900s when everyone was "preparing for war". Luger wanted to get his share of the action (preparation), so he turned "Para Bellum" into "Parabellum". I'm not sure if he trade-marked it, but it was for his loading of the 9mm (there were quite a few others that were not as powerful).
August 5th, 2004  
Darkmb101

let me interject ur conversation and welcome to the forum

laterz
August 5th, 2004  
jen.parabellum

Quote:
Wow, you are awake!

That is correct. That was the early 1900s when everyone was "preparing for war". Luger wanted to get his share of the action (preparation), so he turned "Para Bellum" into "Parabellum". I'm not sure if he trade-marked it, but it was for his loading of the 9mm (there were quite a few others that were not as powerful).

I was just guessing with that, seeing as it was a "score" for American GIs as a souvenior in WWII. Neat!
August 5th, 2004  
Redleg

Welcome to the forum 5CAV, great intro..

I can only find one trademark for Parabellum by the way:
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...ate=r9g47j.2.1