5CAV

5CAV

I found this site looking for information on a particular rifle. Firearms are my hobby. I am reasonably knowledgeable about them, but I always seek more knowledge until I reach enlightenment.

Another area I am fairly knowledgeable about is armor. Since I got out in the early 90's, my knowledge is getting a bit stale, but still more than the average layman.

These topics do not make for popular dinner conversation, especially with the ladies, so I welcome a forum where I can share thoughts with like-minded (and knowledgeable) people.

5th Cavalry was where I had one of the best jobs in my life -- Cavalry Platoon Leader. I'm still amazed at the level of responsibility the Army will give to a 20-year old kid.

I was lucky enough to serve after Vietnam and before Desert Storm, so I am a cold-warrior. We were put on alert a number of times, but I never had to fire live rounds at anyone, nor did I have to take them in return.

"Nolo Copulare Equestribus" was what the Troop Commander had on his wall. I think he was a Southie and had to suffer through some years of Latin taught by nuns. It translates literally as "Don't copulate with the horse-soldiers". If you are Cavalry, you know what the popular translation is. If you're not CAV, well, I can't help you!

Well welcome 5CAV :) And I assume there are ladies out there who do enjoy talking about rifles and armor over a nice romantic dinner filled with MREs. ;)

I hope you enjoy your stay at the boards.

Thanks for the welcome.

Actually, the last time I tried it (steak house, not MREs), her eyes rolled back in her head and she passed out in the mashed potatoes before I got to the Vietnam-era in the history of M16 development -- there was still about 20 years to go.

5CAV said:
Thanks for the welcome.

Actually, the last time I tried it (steak house, not MREs), her eyes rolled back in her head and she passed out in the mashed potatoes before I got to the Vietnam-era in the history of M16 development -- there was still about 20 years to go.

LOL. Now I'd find that entire discussion interesting and would probably ignore the food completely.

In that case, you are indeed very unique!

By the way, did you know your handle (parabellum) is a made-up word? It was coined by Georg Luger -- a marketing genius more than a firearms designer (the Luger is an improvement on Borchardt's pistol design). Luger was looking for a way to differentiate his new pistol and came up with a Latin-sounding, scientific-sounding word that had "bellum" for war in it. This was to help him (successfully) get some military contracts.

Have you passed out yet?

5CAV said:
In that case, you are indeed very unique!

By the way, did you know your handle (parabellum) is a made-up word? It was coined by Georg Luger -- a marketing genius more than a firearms designer (the Luger is an improvement on Borchardt's pistol design). Luger was looking for a way to differentiate his new pistol and came up with a Latin-sounding, scientific-sounding word that had "bellum" for war in it. This was to help him (successfully) get some military contracts.

Have you passed out yet?

I'm awake. So how do you explain the Latin phrase: Si vis pacem, para bellum which is said by Flavius Vegetius Renatus, which in English is translated into If you want peace, prepare for war. So was Luger naming it because it stood for a preparation of war? Meaning you would have to take the gun into battle?

Wow, you are awake!

That is correct. That was the early 1900s when everyone was "preparing for war". Luger wanted to get his share of the action (preparation), so he turned "Para Bellum" into "Parabellum". I'm not sure if he trade-marked it, but it was for his loading of the 9mm (there were quite a few others that were not as powerful).

5CAV said:
Wow, you are awake!

That is correct. That was the early 1900s when everyone was "preparing for war". Luger wanted to get his share of the action (preparation), so he turned "Para Bellum" into "Parabellum". I'm not sure if he trade-marked it, but it was for his loading of the 9mm (there were quite a few others that were not as powerful).

:idea:

I was just guessing with that, seeing as it was a "score" for American GIs as a souvenior in WWII. Neat!

Thanks for the welcome!

You got my era -- M60 and M113. I transitioned to the M1, but never had the pleasure of playing with a Bradley IFV. That 25mm chain gun looked like fun!

5CAV said:
Thanks for the welcome!

You got my era -- M60 and M113. I transitioned to the M1, but never had the pleasure of playing with a Bradley IFV. That 25mm chain gun looked like fun!

The NG unit that I was in traqnsitioned from TLAM and Scouts to Mech Infantry, we had 113's. Interesting rolling box, a little anemic in support weapons, they could have at least bolted a Mk19 on it in a small turrent like the AMTRAAK.

Welcome..

You've prooved that you know your way around weapons :D

Now, talk armory! :D

Just kidding.. Welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay..

"'Cause you can never leave.." - Eagles

Wow, I'm learning stuff! A little lost, but hey, that's nothing new, in fact, if I wasn't, people would think I was doing drugs or something. :lol: 8)

Anyways, welcome to the forum dude! You didn't put me to sleep, and that, my new friend (haha, just a little hyper lol) is an acomplishment.

they could have at least bolted a Mk19 on it in a small turrent

We never had MK19s in any of my units, so I never got to play with that one. It looks like it would be a lot of fun, though.

We had M2HBs (no shield or cupola) on our M113s. But those M2HBs sure beat the M85s we had in the M60A1 cupolas. Thankfully, when we transitioned to the Abrams, we went back to the M2HBs for the TC.

Back