5.56x45mm Rifle Review (Non AR-15)

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
ArmaLite AR-180B
ar180bfolder.jpg

arm_ar180B.jpg

The Armalite AR-180B is a modern remake of the classic AR-18. The rifle was designed to be light in weight and affordable to many third world nations. It uses the standard magazine of the AR-15 series rifle and also the same trigger group. Not as many items out there for the Ar-180B, but it would still serve as a good rifle.

MODEL: AR-180B
CALIBER: .223/5.56mm
UPPER RECEIVER: FORMED SHEET METAL
LOWER RECEIVER: HIGH STRENGTH POLYMER
BARREL: 19.8 CHROME MOLY, RH 1:9 INCH TWIST, NATO CHAMBER
MAGAZINE: STANDARD AR-15 MAGAZINE
FURNITURE: BLACK
TRIGGER: STANDARD AR-15 TRIGGER GROUP
SIGHTS: REAR SIGHT ADJUSTABLE FOR WINDAGE ONLY, SMALL AND LARGE APERATURES
OVERALL LENGTH: 38 INCHES
WEIGHT: 6 POUNDS- UNLOADED

Kel-Tec SU-16C
su16C_01.jpg

su16D_01.jpg

Kel-tec, the names makes you think of cheap but well built firearms. THe SU-16C comes chambered in the ever popular 5.56x45mm caliber and uses the same magazines as the Ar-15 series rifle. The stock folds right under the rifle and can still be fired. Making it a small light weight battle rifle. The forstock can even be replaced with a rail system to mount many modern items like flash lights and lasers. Kel-Tec even makes a folding bayonet for the folding rifle.

Caliber: .223 Rem 5.56mm
Weight unloaded: 5.0lbs. 2.3kg
Length open: 37.4" 950.0mm
Length closed: 26.4" 670.6mm
Barrel length: 18.4" 467.4mm
Magazine: Standard AR-15 Magazine
Barrel diameter: 3/4" to 5/8" 19.1mm to 15.9mm
Twist: 1:9" 1:228.6mm
Bolt travel: 4.1" 104mm
trigger pull: 5lbs. to 7lbs. 22.2N to 31.1N
Barrel weight: 26.1oz. 738.8g

Steyr AUG
start_01.JPG

The Steyr AUG, a highly misunderstood rifle. Not very popular in the USA because of the fact that it is a Bull-Pup rifle and also that the magazines are not AR-15 compatable. Chambered in the ever popular 5.56X45mm caliber. The Steyr AUG has served with many foreign militaries including our allies in Iraq right now. If you have the chance to get a Steyr AUG. Go right ahead, they can be converted to work off AR-15 magazines.

m16aug.jpg

Caliber: 5.56mm NATO (.223rem)
Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt
Overall length: 805 mm (with standard 508 mm barrel)
Barrel length: 508 mm (also 350 mm SMG, 407 mm Carbine or 621 mm LMG heavy barrel)
Weight: 3.8 kg unloaded (with standard 508 mm barrel)
Magazines: 30 or 42 rounds box magazines (Not AR-15 Magazines)
Rate of fire: 650 rounds per minute
Effective range of fire: 450-500 meters with standard assault rifle barrel

Last edited:
Robinson Arms VEPR II .223
VEPR-II-5.56-LG.gif

The ever classic AK series rifle chambered in the 5.56x45mm. 'Nuff Siad...

Caliber: .223 Rem. (5.56 NATO Chamber)
Action: Gas operated, piston driven
Receiver: RPK type receive
Barrel: 16.5" Chrome-lined, hammer-forged with 1 in 9" twist
Accepts modified 30 round AK-74 Magazines
Sights: RPK Fully Adjustable
Trigger: Two-stage, 5 pound pull
Buttstock & Foregrip: Synthetic with pistol grip. Scope Rail on left side of receiver

Robinson Arms M96 Rifle
M96%20Recon%20B.jpg

bren_side.jpg

The M96 is based on the Stoner 63 Weapon System designed by Eugene Stoner and used by the U.S Navy Seals in Vietnam. The Stoner 63's receiver, using a variety of modular components, could be configured as a rifle, carbine, a top fed light machine gun, a belt fed squad automatic weapon, or a vehicle mounted weapon. The M96 has been designed with similar modularity in mind but has been simplified for easier maintenance.

Accepts AR-15 Magazines and Drums
Buttstock & Foregrip: Synthetic with pistol grip.

Robinson Arms XCR
XCR_223_L.sized.jpg

The XCR is a new rifle fom Robinson Armorment Co. The rifle can be converted from 5.56x45mm to 6.8mm SPC or 7.62x39mm. Other than that, it's another rifle.

Accepts AR-15 Magazines and Drums
Buttstock & Foregrip: Synthetic with pistol grip.

Bushmaster M17 Bullpup
bushmaster%20m17s.JPG

Caliber: 5.56 mm (.223 Rem.)
Overall length: 760mm
Barrel length: 546mm
Weight (w/o mag): 3.72 kg
Maximum Effective Range: 600 meters
Magazine - Accepts all M16/AR15 magazines

Ruger Mini-14

m145.gif
ruger_ac566_1.gif

ruger%20mini14%20fs.JPG

Mini-14 rifle was developed in early 1970s and introduced near 1974. To speak simply, Mini-14 is M-14 "clone", scaled down to use then-new 5.56mm / .223 Rem cartridge. Mini-14 is somewhat similar in design to M1 Garand and M-14 rifles, utilizing same gas action with underbarrel gas piston, rotating bolt, positive safety with safety switch located at the forward part of the triggerguard.

Caliber: 5.56x45 mm NATO (.223 Remington)
Overall length: 943 mm
Barrel length: 470 mm
Weigth: 3.06 kg
Magazine capacity: 5, 10, 20 or 30 rds detachable box magazines (Not AR-15 series magazines)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure AUGs aren't legal, unless you mean the USR version?

I want one of those XCRs! I'd get a 16" 7.62x39mm barrel for fun and a 20" 6.8 SPC barrel for serious.

The AUGs are legal, yes, it's the USR version. But they are legal. ALso, Steyr is releasing their A3 model very soon.

Mini-14s are a blast, they're definitely a pleasure to shoot. Real accurate and real light recoil = lots of fun at the range and shooting gophers.

I have a personal affection for the AUG, but I was told last year that Steyr went under. Have I been misinformed? Last I'd heard the only affiliate was for the Aussie defense forces.

Well, my favorite 5.56x45mm rifle other than a AR-15 is the Ruger Mini-14. I have the Ruger Ranch Rifle (Scoped version) of the Mini-14. I love it. It's like a M-14 and a M1 Carbine had a kid.

I've been looking into the AR-180B. A friend of mine has an original Armilite AR-180. The differnce between the AR-180 and AR-180B is the lower receiver. The original lowers of the rifle were made out of stamped metal like an AK-47 and had it's own designed trigger group. The new lowers of the rifles are mad eout of plastic and use the AR-15 group. Other than that, it's the same rifle.

Well, he does only use 20rd AR-15 magazines. I use my 30rd Ar-15 magazines in it. It's a fun rifle.

deerslayer said:
I have a personal affection for the AUG, but I was told last year that Steyr went under. Have I been misinformed? Last I'd heard the only affiliate was for the Aussie defense forces.

Steyr Mannlicher is alive and kicking very well. There M Series pistol sells quite well. It has a cult following.

a08a9e595f.jpg

Visierung_10.jpg

http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/

That was part of the Clinton Era Assault Weapons Ban.

Bayonet Lugs
Folding Stocks
Magazines over ten rounds

Were all banned. But, the CLinton Era Mistake ended and once again. Americans can buy firearms the way they want it.

i was just gonna do that when i scrolled down
i need something to replace this apparently fake sig in mine
*as pointed out by mohmar deathstrike

edit: spelt his name wrong

Last edited:
Back